Keep on getting "Critical Error your right touch battery is low" — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Keep on getting "Critical Error your right touch battery is low"

lsmanleylsmanley Posts: 1
NerveGear
edited June 19 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
Something weird going on here. I have a brand new Rift S. When I start a game I get a "Critical Error your right touch battery is low" which means I can't play my games. Now, when I go to devices, it shows a left and right touch controller both with full battery but also shows 5 (!!) right touch controllers. These all have serial numbers like ��_ ( and I cannot remove them. One of them has a constand 'battery low' messge and this is causing the problem. It's infurating!

Comments

  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,594 Valuable Player
    Try a repair of the Oculus Software.
    Download the installer and launch it, it will prompt with a repair option - choose it. It will still download all the files again, but will do an in place repair of the software.


    Don

    EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • djsun25djsun25 Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    I'm getting the same thing. 4-5 right controllers. Keeps saying low battery. 
  • chrispnchrispn Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have the same thing. I have 3 right controllers in my list with Serial numbers that show strange characters
  • Cassass1nCassass1n Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    has anyone figured out to permanently delete the extra controllers cause I delete them and they dont disappear? and I cant find a repair option for the controllers
  • RahotepRahotep Posts: 53
    Brain Burst
    Same issue here - places a new fresh battery, started Evasion (First Person Shooter) and after a few minutes, while in battle, I get a black screen, this recovers after a few secs and then I have "right controller battery warning" in the headset. By then there is nothing you can do - simply stuck. Task manager kill the game. Right controller will be red, and I can see that there is an additional right controller with a totally weird serial and firmware. No way to remove.
  • PailloranPailloran Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Same issue since 1.38. I have a support ticket in and they've had me try a few things such as backing up my content, uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling, and updating to 1.39 via beta, but hasn't resolved the issue yet - the invalid right controllers are still there and can't be removed.

    After reinstalling, it did not take me through setup again (install hardware, account creation, etc) so this data was still saved somewhere. It just logged me in as normal with all the invalid controllers still listed under devices.

    I'd like to determine how to do a truly 'clean' install and start fresh with new hardware pairing and such, before the extra controllers showed up.


  • Yobiwan29Yobiwan29 Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    A clean install (I mean Windows 10 !) didn't solve the issue here. It was fine a couple of days and then the ghost right touch controllers appeared again. Maybe it occurs when the USB cable is disconnected and reconnected, I don't know... Now I've got this virtual battery critical error everytime I put the Rift S on my head. Have to deal with it for now.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest - Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming - i7 8700 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz - Aorus GTX 1080Ti - 2 To SSD - Corsair RM650X 80+ gold
  • PailloranPailloran Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Yobiwan29 said:
    A clean install (I mean Windows 10 !) didn't solve the issue here. It was fine a couple of days and then the ghost right touch controllers appeared again. Maybe it occurs when the USB cable is disconnected and reconnected, I don't know... Now I've got this virtual battery critical error everytime I put the Rift S on my head. Have to deal with it for now.
    Do you find that it causes you to crash out of games? I could deal with having to clear an error on startup, but it constantly dumps me out of games.
  • Quijote1Quijote1 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    The multiple right controllers is a problem that Oculus is working on, they say. But it doesn't hinder game play. I sometimes get the Right Battery is Low message and what I do is Pause the game (flight sim), go to Oculus settings, beta, and restart Oculus - but first I pull the right battery out. I leave it out for one minute and then restart Oculus. I can then go back to my sim and unpause it and continue.....
  • thumbassthumbass Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    I'm having the same issue...keeps saying my right controller is low...I changed the battery 3 times int eh span of 2 minutes and nothing changed.
  • Yobiwan29Yobiwan29 Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    Pailloran said:
    Yobiwan29 said:
    A clean install (I mean Windows 10 !) didn't solve the issue here. It was fine a couple of days and then the ghost right touch controllers appeared again. Maybe it occurs when the USB cable is disconnected and reconnected, I don't know... Now I've got this virtual battery critical error everytime I put the Rift S on my head. Have to deal with it for now.
    Do you find that it causes you to crash out of games? I could deal with having to clear an error on startup, but it constantly dumps me out of games.
    I only have this error message when i put my headset on. No game crash here.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest - Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming - i7 8700 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz - Aorus GTX 1080Ti - 2 To SSD - Corsair RM650X 80+ gold
  • Yobiwan29Yobiwan29 Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    thumbass said:
    I'm having the same issue...keeps saying my right controller is low...I changed the battery 3 times int eh span of 2 minutes and nothing changed.
    If you go to Devices section you will find that it's the fake right touch controller fault. Its "ghost" battery is virtually low :p
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest - Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming - i7 8700 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz - Aorus GTX 1080Ti - 2 To SSD - Corsair RM650X 80+ gold
  • PailloranPailloran Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    This fixed the phantom right controller issue: 

    We appreciate the additional information, including the fact that older files and configuration is remaining which could be the cause.

    In order to ensure the files are removed please use the instructions here on Microsoft's support site to enable the viewing of hidden files and folders.

    Once this has been done, we request that you do the following:

    Please note that this removes any currently eligible games from having automated refunds processed. You can look into requesting refunds, and what's accepted for such by clicking here.

    1. Disconnect your computer from the internet.
    2. Backup any necessary content.
    3. Reboot into Safe Mode.
    4. Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel.
    5. Delete all Oculus folders from the following folder:
      • C:\Program Files
    6. Remove any Oculus folders from the following locations:
      • These may be hidden folders that require viewing to be enabled.
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
      • C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache\
      • C:\Users<profile>\AppData\Local\Temp\OculusSetup\
    7. Restart your computer in normal mode.
    8. Reconnect your computer to the internet.
    9. Install Oculus Home again using the setup tool from our website here.
      • Ensure that Oculus is set as a trusted program in your firewall and that your anti-virus is temporarily disabled or uninstalled.
  • shivakanoushivakanou Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Pailloran said:
    This fixed the phantom right controller issue: 

    We appreciate the additional information, including the fact that older files and configuration is remaining which could be the cause.

    In order to ensure the files are removed please use the instructions here on Microsoft's support site to enable the viewing of hidden files and folders.

    Once this has been done, we request that you do the following:

    Please note that this removes any currently eligible games from having automated refunds processed. You can look into requesting refunds, and what's accepted for such by clicking here.

    1. Disconnect your computer from the internet.
    2. Backup any necessary content.
    3. Reboot into Safe Mode.
    4. Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel.
    5. Delete all Oculus folders from the following folder:
      • C:\Program Files
    6. Remove any Oculus folders from the following locations:
      • These may be hidden folders that require viewing to be enabled.
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
      • C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache\
      • C:\Users<profile>\AppData\Local\Temp\OculusSetup\
    7. Restart your computer in normal mode.
    8. Reconnect your computer to the internet.
    9. Install Oculus Home again using the setup tool from our website here.
      • Ensure that Oculus is set as a trusted program in your firewall and that your anti-virus is temporarily disabled or uninstalled.
    I already tried this and didn't work.
  • Fuze_EmeraldFuze_Emerald Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited July 4
    When I play FPS games, my right touch controller dies immediately. I have two right controllers, but I soon as I start the game they die. Has anyone found a solution yet?   
  • enaz17enaz17 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    This is really annoying. For me, it doesn't happen all the time, only occasionally. Sometimes as soon as I start up the oculus app and sometimes it just never pops up. I really hope Oculus find a fix to this, as it's hindering my ability to play Minecraft. I need those diamonds.
  • ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 256
    Nexus 6
    edited July 5
    This has been "fixed" using a tool written by one of the community members, (@kojack)

    See his post here on what to do:
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/78200/oculus-phantom-touch-remover-fix-those-multiple-right-touch-controllers#latest

    Hope it helps
    RIFT CV1
    RIFT S

    Leeds, UK.

    Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |
    240GB SATA III SSD | 3TB HDD | 867Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi

    "Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."
  • enaz17enaz17 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    This has been "fixed" using a tool written by one of the community members, (@kojack)

    See his post here on what to do:
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/78200/oculus-phantom-touch-remover-fix-those-multiple-right-touch-controllers#latest

    Hope it helps
    Thanks so much! This didn't fully fix it because I still have to close Oculus and run it whenever I'm switching games but it means I can play now! Thanks dude!
  • SvuppSvupp Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Okay guys, I contatacted oculus support and linked this article plus some extra screenshots of the problem. And they replied back with a solution that I thought i could share with those who still have this problem.

    They told me to:

    Open your Oculus "app" > Settings > Beta > Switch on "Public Test Channel"
    What this does is basiclly download "pre-released" updates to your software. (If you go to Library > Updates, you can follow the download). After it's done downloading, you need to: Go to Settings > Beta > and then Restart Oculus. (This will just reboot the software). And after I did that I haven't experinced any "Critical Error" or game crashes.

    Hope you guys can use this infomation :)
  • TereDoneyTereDoney Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I haven't had this issue since I got my Rift S but since I went back to the non beta software, it's constant, so I'm back on beta.  I'll see how it goes.
  • CechriCechri Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Having the additional right controller issue with low battery and can't play because of it. I have followed the above for downloading beta without success. Any additional suggestions?
  • TragicDelightTragicDelight Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    Use new batteries. Or clean the contacts with Q-Tip and alcohol
  • CechriCechri Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    New batteries aren't the issue. Have replaced them multiple times. It's the firmware somehow as discussed above.
  • CechriCechri Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I have tried all of the suggestions above, including a complete delete and re-install of the Oculus software without success. I have now also submitted a trouble ticket. The HMD is completely useless until this gets fixed.
  • CechriCechri Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Here is what fixed this for me. I have tried all of the suggestions above in this thread without success. I placed a ticket to support and we have worked through all of the above steps plus a couple over the past week. Yesterday, after trying a complete clean install again without success I found a thread on these forums that described the HMD freezing up after loud sounds using the built-in speakers. This caused me to pay attention to the sound when my error occurred and it seemed like they might be correlated. So I decided to plug in a set of earbuds and give it a try, low and behold I am able to play without a hitch! I have been able to get my headset volume up to 80% without earbuds, at 90% the error returns. I will be updating my support ticket with this info hopefully, they can give it a quick fix for all of us. On the downside, I have now experienced all of the sounds that I'm missing when using the built-in speakers. I'm a bit too paranoid to be completely shut off from the world though, anyone have suggestions for earbuds or a headset that allows ambient sound through... I hope this helps someone else.
  • JimbrasscaptainJimbrasscaptain Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    The same issue is noted in my new Oculus rift S.
Sign In or Register to comment.