cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RattyUK
Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

I'm 9 hours in NMS now on Index on one of my saves. Not sure I want to play any other VR games at the moment other than Espire 1 which is due out this month.

I  now own a freighter which I can command and send on missions. I have two planetside bases now in different systems. I found a really nice Earth like biome but with pumpkin like creatures roaming about. Lots of Gold here too to mine. I just upgraded my weapon for the first time. I've shot down several attacking ships and undertaken various side-missions. A bit of everything then so far with more to come.

How are the graphics later on? Even using Ultra, and the performance seems quite good after the latest patches, graphics still look kinda poor. Coming back to SteamVR Home looks so much better when exiting NMS. NMS graphics are very hard on my eyes, lol. I know NMS isn't about graphics but about what you can do, maybe I should give it another try. At least I've found some sodium and found my spaceship...  

NMS is improving, slowly, but VR is not best optimised currently.
For me - I set resolution to 1080p Vsync off (screen res), downloaded the Vulkan RT latest and played around a bit with resolutions/quality.
Played a couple of hours last night with it looking the best so far.. (pretty reasonable) but have no idea of my FPS or reprojection - I just played.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RattyUK said:

RuneSR2 said:

I'm 9 hours in NMS now on Index on one of my saves. Not sure I want to play any other VR games at the moment other than Espire 1 which is due out this month.

I  now own a freighter which I can command and send on missions. I have two planetside bases now in different systems. I found a really nice Earth like biome but with pumpkin like creatures roaming about. Lots of Gold here too to mine. I just upgraded my weapon for the first time. I've shot down several attacking ships and undertaken various side-missions. A bit of everything then so far with more to come.

How are the graphics later on? Even using Ultra, and the performance seems quite good after the latest patches, graphics still look kinda poor. Coming back to SteamVR Home looks so much better when exiting NMS. NMS graphics are very hard on my eyes, lol. I know NMS isn't about graphics but about what you can do, maybe I should give it another try. At least I've found some sodium and found my spaceship...  

NMS is improving, slowly, but VR is not best optimised currently.
For me - I set resolution to 1080p Vsync off (screen res), downloaded the Vulkan RT latest and played around a bit with resolutions/quality.
Played a couple of hours last night with it looking the best so far.. (pretty reasonable) but have no idea of my FPS or reprojection - I just played.

I guess that's the spirit - but those giant jaggies are really hard not to notice. And then TAA does fix the jaggies but makes everything super-blurry. I really did enjoy Adr1ft yesterday - maybe it's much like being shot out of your spaceship in NMS, lol. It's the most vomiting-inducing VR gameplay I've tried for a long time, can't wait to play some more later this evening! Felt like Bullock in the movie Gravity, except I kept rotating :# Adr1ft doesn't seem to respond to the SteamVR ss, increased it to 200% not sure I saw any difference - but game still looks great using the Index. BTW, Adr1ft is $20 on Steam, but $2 here B)

https://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-adr1ft-cd-key-compare-prices/

Ok, maybe Adr1ft isn't the best game, but it's interesting to experience how Knuckles work when trying to emulate wands. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Luciferous
Consultant
I think Ad1ft is beautiful, although the game play gets a little boring. Looked great on the CV1 bet it looks amazing on the Index.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
BTW, just saw this on Blue's:

debcjq5vqwpg.jpg

So Index Kit - full 1k - is close to being the most sold item on Steam?... Very impressive if it's true... 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Luciferous
Consultant
Wow yeah.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Saw some dude hanging his Index like this for storage (can't find the post, maybe it got deleted, so found a similar photo):

x1136mfxqa1p.jpg

He had put the Index cloth over the lenses, but I still think it's a bad idea - this way the HMD will still collect a lot of dust. Personally, and maybe Shadowmask will mention OCD again, but I use this method for HMD storage - basically means no dust at all and CV1 - apart from aging plastic - still looks like new 😉

ahl73l2hprlb.jpg

Had some large transparent bags for CGC mags, but they work for HMDs too. Index front, CV1 in the back. They're not completely sealed to allow some ventilation and avoid any build-up of humidity.  

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Looks interesting, was posted on Reddit Index, although I'm not sure I saw pinky move 😉

https://youtu.be/dEl1M2UK2Is

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just had an epic moment, lol. Didn't think my rig could do this at all, which kept me from testing it for weeks, but first I played Thumper on the Index - fsaa 8x, and that went fine. Then I increased ss from 100% to 200% and held my breath - and voila, I got perfect 90 fps - even adding 8xFSAA - still solid 90 fps. The image quality felt like this, lol

ubr64cg1ns4j.jpg

One thing was running ss 2.0 on the CV1 - but now I was running ss 2.0 on the Index! 

Now some may have played Thumper before - but apart from the Reverb dudes - I'd say you haven't really played Thumper before experiencing it using the Index - that is using SteamVR ss 200 % - and 8xFSAA - in solid 90 fps. Ok, maybe 120+ fps would be even better - but I've never seen this level of image quality before, especially also due to the giant fov (had lenses nearly all dialed in - well, I always do when using the Index).

Not sure how much I'm pressing the gpu compared to Rift, but maybe it's possible to do some math. CV1 ss 2.0 - which according to Oculus Tray Tool is the same as SteamVR ss 200 % - should work like this:

rt7teyd6isu5.jpg

CV1 ss 2.0 thus pushes about 10,000,000 pixels per image (both lenses). According to SteamVR, this is how ss 2.0 (200%) looks like when using the Index:

ozpiqb0oz8mp.jpg
Note the pixel count is for just one eye, so full res must be: 2 x 2792 x 3104 = 17,332,736 mill pixels  😮 This would be about 70 % more pixels than the 10 mill for CV1, which doesn't seem that unreasonable. I just never thought my humble and heavily oc'ed GTX 1080 would be able to run any Index game in SteamVR 200%. But I can - and this is the image quality of my dreams (or until I try the Reverb or better, lol). For now Lucky's Tale plays beyond awesome, but note that SteamVR 100% is pretty sharp and not at all bad in Lucky's Tale, but using 200% the game is just perfectly sharp no matter where you look - no more blur on distant objects - feels like I can see clearly for like 100 meters or so. Similar to using high levels of ss in the CV1 you add incredibly much depth to the games. Kin also worked flawlessly using SteamVR 200% - I think I just sat there and stared at the animated intro screen for like 5 minutes, graphics were simply perfect and now I can die a happy man, lol. Then on to Angry Birds - game totally opened up using Index SteamVR 200%, even the most distant objects are razor-sharp, but it's not at all too much, there're no shimmering textures or anything, it just looks perfect, fps never below 90. Merry Snowballs also worked perfectly 90 fps ss 200%, and maybe most of all, so did First Contact. Yup, when I close my eyes tonight I think I'll see myself waving to a robot - solid 90 fps - Index ss 200% - like seeing it for the very first time in all its glory.
Of course SteamVR 200% will only work for the less demanding and more simple games on my rig - but I do have quite a lot of such games, and I truly love the opportunity to enjoy them with this level of graphics and performance. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
This really looks awesome - can't wait playing it on the Index!

https://youtu.be/AYn__NFoRnI

Westworld Awakening also just arrived - haven't tried it yet - but may be a surprisingly awesome game:

https://youtu.be/ItRY962U2d0
"Westworld Awakening is one of the most emotionally engaging VR games I've ever played. Experiencing Westworld through the eyes of a host is terrifying, and at several points, I could feel my heart race as I hid under virtual tables while someone passed me by. The combination of Survios' unique VR movement mechanic and a wrecked Delos lab full of bodies makes you genuinely feel like you're running for your life for a couple of moments, which is genuinely thrilling."
Source: https://www.windowscentral.com/westworld-awakening-review-gripping-survival-puzzle-worth-every-penny
Westworld Awakening supports the Index, but it also support Rift - even DK2! (At least DK2 is listed for the SteamVR version.) Get it here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1133320/Westworld_Awakening/

It's also available in the Oculus Store:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2389701057764977

According to currently reviews on Steam, Westworld Awakening has awesome performance and some of the best graphics ever seen using the Index. Seems like a must-have for Index owners - I'm downloading now  o:)

A few quotes from Index Reddit - Westworld Awakening:

"I'm about an hour and a half in, just passed the first act (I like to really explore environments so I take longer than the average). It's been pretty great so far. I'm running and Index, 9700k, and 2080ti so I'm getting the max out of it. Graphically one of the best I've seen from vr so far. Movement is pretty solid. I like the innovation they tried to do. Some of it felt really good. And so far the story seems like it follows the show. Keep in mind how early I am in the game though. I thought it's a great showcase of what the medium can do and Id recommend it."

"Was a fantastic experience. I'm a huge fan of the show, and this felt like getting a couple more episodes of Season 2 basically, except interactive in VR. Absolutely top production quality. Best drama writing in a VR game. Great performance capture."

"This is better than every game in your backlog trust me. Like wowwowow"

kojack
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

Not sure how much I'm pressing the gpu compared to Rift, but maybe it's possible to do some math. CV1 ss 2.0 - which according to Oculus Tray Tool is the same as SteamVR ss 200 % - should work like this:

rt7teyd6isu5.jpg

CV1 ss 2.0 thus pushes about 10,000,000 pixels per image (both lenses). According to SteamVR, this is how ss 2.0 (200%) looks like when using the Index:

Pixel density of 1.0 on the Rift CV1 is 1344x1600 per eye, not 1080x1200.
Pixel density of 2.0 on the Rift CV1 is 2688x3200 per eye, which is 17.2 MegaPixels total (both eyes)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2