New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The BEST THING EVER just happened to VR

cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 939
3Jane
This video on OpenXR got me to thinking. When we use the Rift, why do we need to see the Oculus home screen? Why does the Oculus app even have to be running in order to use VR? 

VR is not an operating system! It’s more like a dumb monitor or display screen than an OS.  Instead of using Oculus Home, why not have a choice of homes from a variety of different developers? Competition makes things interesting and it keeps the industry moving. There’s no reason why the Oculus Rift or Quest or other devices need to be tied to a particular platform. 

The future of VR can be like the Apple App Store — very closed and controlled by a single company – or it can be  more like PC gaming, with a huge variety to choose from.  Also, if you buy a lot of experiences, you won’t have to worry about being tied down to a single platform. You can move everything from one to another. 

Oculus is a hardware manufacturer, not an operating system like Apple or Windows. 

https://youtu.be/SM6SbkzDT8g

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,484 Valuable Player
    Oculus isn't just a hardware manufacturer; Oculus develops an entire Software Platform:

PC Gaming itself is just an activity. Like... Walking, Running, Hiking, Swimming, or playing a musical instrument.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 939
    3Jane
    Zenbane said:
    Oculus isn't just a hardware manufacturer; Oculus develops an entire Software Platform:
     But it doesn’t have to be that way.  In the early days of computing, Apple and Microsoft both grabbed monopolies for themselves.  Imagine if, in the early days, Apple had been an open rather than a proprietary platform, maybe even Amiga and Atari survived. The computing industry would be a lot more interesting today.  

Instead, it’s stratified, with Microsoft grabbing the business side of the platform and Apple to a large degree dominating desktop publishing and, later, mobile phone games.  If you want to run apple apps, you have to buy an Apple device and if you want to run PC games, you have to run them on a PC. 

The computing industry has been around a long time now and we learned a lot from the early days.  We also have the flexibility of a lot more processing power to work with.  

VR is mostly used to play games, so there is no reason it has to be tied to a particular platform, like Oculus or Vive. In the future, we might run operating systems in VR and use it to get serious work done, but  that still gives us plenty of time to develop open source options. 
    Zenbane said:
     But it doesn’t have to be that way.

Having a platform is a good idea for a variety of reasons. Platforms spam multiple industries. Including Oil and Banking. I guess nothing actually "has to be that way." It just depends on what one's goals are. Like... we don't have to drive cars. We could just walk everywhere. But not really efficient!

VR is mostly used to play games

In it's current state, VR is marketed as a gaming platform. But this is not something that should be viewed as an absolute. VR for the Enterprise is very real, and will only continue to grow. Facebook and Oculus have both shared their vision for VR beyond gaming. HTC Vive is now more focused on Enterprise than Consumer. And Microsoft has tried to establish a foothold in VR for the Enterprise from Day 1.

In the early days of computing, Apple and Microsoft both grabbed monopolies for themselves.  Imagine if, in the early days, Apple had been an open rather than a proprietary platform, maybe even Amiga and Atari survived. The computing industry would be a lot more interesting today.  

That is not the early days of computing. In the early days of computing, we had Mainframes. In fact, Mainframes are still the backbone of the global banking industry. Mainframe are platforms. So, we've had platforms since the early days.

Also, nothing is stopping anyone from making an open platform for any industry, including VR.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,722 Valuable Player
    Atari was doomed to fail because of its leadership not because of competition.
    WAAAGH!
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 825
    3Jane
    Zenbane said:
    VR is mostly used to play games, so there is no reason it has to be tied to a particular platform, like Oculus or Vive. In the future, we might run operating systems in VR and use it to get serious work done, but  that still gives us plenty of time to develop open source options. 
    Not sure what a store front has to do with an operating system, but in case you haven't noticed, more and more store fronts are required now to play games on PC, and in regards to above comment, game consoles are only used for playing games, and they've had 1st party exclusives tied to a particular platform for decades. There is no rule that says PC has to be any different. What doesn't HAVE to be is beside the point. I see this complaint a lot by people accusing Oculus of holding VR back with exclusives. If anything they are growing it and helping it.
    3Jane
    edited August 2019
    jayhawk said:

game consoles are only used for playing games, and they've had 1st party exclusives tied to a particular platform for decades. 
     Maybe, but just because it’s been done in the past, doesn’t mean it’s best for a relatively new industry that I believe is on the verge of widespread adoption.

We the users have the opportunity to shape what direction the industry goes in through our voices and our buying choices.  If “the customer is always right“ then we the customers have a great deal of power in deciding how VR is going to shape out and be delivered to us. An open standard in which games and experiences can easily be moved from one platform to another is best for all of us.

As great as oculus is, imagine, with the speed things are improving, another developer came out with a much higher FOV, higher resolution, better controllers, better pricing, greater durability, etc. Or let’s say Oculus excluded games that they thought were too violent, too sexy, too controversial, etc. We should have the right to switch to another product at will without having to worry about leaving all our purchased games behind. 
    Competition is best for all of us. Removing competition by removing exclusive platforms works against innovation.

If a user is concerned about switching platforms, then it is better to make that decision up front. Oculus has been an exclusive store and exclusive platform since launch. There's nothing new about any of this. So if a user doesn't want exclusivity, then Oculus is probably not the right product for that user.

Personally, I don't have to worry about leaving all my purchases behind. Since I would happily re-buy any of them that I feel are worthy of replaying should I abandon one platform over another.
    3Jane
    Zenbane said:
    Competition is best for all of us. Removing competition by removing exclusive platforms works against innovation.
     No, because the competition would still exist on the hardware side without artificially locking the user into a particular set of experiences which the hardware developer had nothing to do with. 
    3Jane
    edited August 2019
    Zenbane said:
    If a user is concerned about switching platforms, then it is better to make that decision up front. Oculus has been an exclusive store and exclusive platform since launch. There's nothing new about any of this. So if a user doesn't want exclusivity, then Oculus is probably not the right product for that user.

That’s a silly argument. How could the user possibly make predictions about the future when making their initial buying decision in an industry as rapidly changing as VR?  

Oculus may have been an exclusive store and platform since launch, but need I remind you that if Palmer Luckey was the one who made the decision for it to be that way, you yourself have said that Luckey was guilty of many bad decisions, then this may very well be one of them. 
    3Jane
    Zenbane said:
    Personally, I don't have to worry about leaving all my purchases behind. Since I would happily re-buy any of them that I feel are worthy of replaying should I abandon one platform over another.

That’s fine, but I don’t know how many purchases you made from oculus. Just because you would happily rebuy them doesn’t mean everyone would. Not everyone has the same financial resources.

You seem to be unnaturally wedded to Oculus the company rather than to whatever is best for VR in general. 
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,275 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:

That’s a silly argument. How could the user possibly make predictions about the future when making their initial buying decision in an industry as rapidly changing as VR?  

Oculus may have been an exclusive store and platform since launch, but need I remind you that if Palmer Luckey was the one who made the decision for it to be that way, you yourself have said that Luckey was guilty of many bad decisions, then this may very well be one of them. 
    Didn't take you long to work a Palmer jibe into your thread, lol!

Personally I think that the Oculus VR OS works great, even when I occasionally need to use it with SteamVR (for games without Rift support).  Like Zen said, if you don't like it, try something else.  Lots do not like Win10 OS and go to Mac or Linux.  Really up to you to decide what works best for you imho.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,654 Valuable Player
    This is all pretty much a moot point anyway. There's only store exclusives, not headset exclusives unless you're talking about PSVR thanks to the likes of Revive and OpenComposite. But of course Sony don't get any grief for having headset exclusives because Sony. Every single game you can play on PC can be played with any PC headset as far as I'm aware.

And I certainly don't have a problem with Oculus funding developers to the tune of over $500,000 because without that investment there'd be A LOT less quality VR games out there to play. Now you COULD argue that timed exclusives are better for VR but, again, it really doesn't make any difference thanks to those third party programs I've just mentioned.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    3Jane
    edited August 2019
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Like Zen said, if you don't like it, try something else.  Lots do not like Win10 OS and go to Mac or Linux.  Really up to you to decide what works best for you imho.

You just undid your own argument. It’s “up to you decide what works best for you,” but when you do, you’re locked into a particular platform with considerable investment and no way to migrate out of said platform.  Plus, it slows down innovation because people are less likely to look at the competition because they are already locked into the older platform.

I shouldn’t be surprised at Oculus forum users defending oculus because they are Oculus users. The greater VR community, however, may March in a different direction, leaving Oculus fanboys behind.  Actually, I should be surprised, because I’m not actually criticizing Oculus, I’m criticizing all VR developers equally.  So the defensiveness seems a little knee-jerk.

It’s like a bunch of frogs in a pot of boiling water, and if one sees a way out and tries to go there, the rest try to pull him back in. 
    3Jane
    snowdog said:
    But of course Sony don't get any grief for having headset exclusives because Sony. Every single game you can play on PC can be played with any PC headset as far as I'm aware.

And I certainly don't have a problem with Oculus funding developers to the tune of over $500,000 because without that investment there'd be A LOT less quality VR games out there to play. Now you COULD argue that timed exclusives are better for VR but, again, it really doesn't make any difference thanks to those third party programs I've just mentioned.

I’m criticizing Sony too.

As far as oculus funding developers, I’m wondering if it isn’t really the users funding the developers, because if users bought into Oculus, and they then want to migrate to a different platform and play the same game again, they have to fund the same developer all over again, if said app is even available on the competing platform. It sounds like the attempt to create a monopoly to me, which is against the law. 

As far as encouraging VR games, I actually think the best thing to happen to VR would be for AAA titles to come to the platform. I’ve actually spent more time in Skyrim VR than the 50 to 75 VR titles I bought on Oculus. A lot of this has to do with the fact that I never played Skyrim or even anything like it before I got into VR.   That’s because such a AAA title is like 50 small VR games in one, with all the quests, locations, different playstyles, spells, weapons, locations, mods, etc.

I know Skyrim is purchased on steam so that doesn’t play into the exclusivity argument, but my main point is the AAA titles coming to VR is what will move the platform forward. 
    edited August 2019
    Zenbane said:
     No, because the competition would still exist on the hardware side without artificially locking the user into a particular set of experiences which the hardware developer had nothing to do with. 

Removing competition from platforms works against Software Innovation.

Exclusivity has existed before this era of consumer VR. Just look at the gaming Consoles. This is a form of competition that is fantastic.

Just because you would happily rebuy them doesn’t mean everyone would. Not everyone has the same financial resources.

True. So consumers who are more financially strained should probably avoid expensive hobbies like PCVR.

You seem to be unnaturally wedded to Oculus the company rather than to whatever is best for VR in general. 

Or maybe you are unnaturally wedded against anything positive towards Oculus. I mean, you did create this anti-Oculus thread within 24 hours of your last anti-Oculus topic being locked. Regardless, I think what is best for VR is innovation, which stems from competition. You seem more against what is best for VR in general.

You just undid your own argument. It’s “up to you decide what works best for you,” but when you do, you’re locked into a particular platform with considerable investment and no way to migrate out of said platform. 

No, he didn't undo his own argument at all. The important thing to remember is that nobody is "locked to a particular platform." Every consumer is free to purchase as many platforms as their heart, and pocket book, desires.

This is a very old debate anyway. Very 2016. Back then, when the HTC Vive was tied to Steam, everyone tried to make Oculus seem "evil" for having the exclusive store. But now HTC wised up, and they have their own exclusive store. And this debate died off shortly after.

Competition and innovation are what matter most. And not just with hardware, but with software as well. The term "computing" isn't limited to hardware.

I shouldn’t be surprised at Oculus forum users defending oculus because they are Oculus users. The greater VR community, however, may March in a different direction, leaving Oculus fanboys behind.  Actually, I should be surprised, because I’m not actually criticizing Oculus, I’m criticizing all VR developers equally.  So the defensiveness seems a little knee-jerk.

So anyone who disagrees with your argument is automatically a fanboy? That seems like a one-sided viewpoint. As far as being "knee-jerk," it appears more on your side than anyone else. This thread comes off like a knee-jerk reaction to the locking of your political thread. Why else would you start up a debate that lost its luster by 2018?
    3Jane
    edited August 2019
    Zenbane said:
    Or maybe you are unnaturally wedded against anything positive towards Oculus. I mean, you did create this anti-Oculus thread within 24 hours of your last anti-Oculus topic being locked. Regardless, I think what is best for VR is innovation, which stems from competition. You seem more against what is best for VR in general.

Well, i’ll be honest. Maybe I am a little pissed off at oculus for their perceived political bias.  It just seems to me that if they’re biased about what political topics are allowed in the oculus store, they’ll be likely to show their bias in other ways as well, such as keeping out apps and games they consider too sexy, too violent or too controversial.  

I don’t consider this to be a good thing.  I think the user should have a completely free choice in what they play, buy or believe. For example, I don’t believe a monopoly should be in charge of what books we are allowed to read. It shouldn’t be any different from games, apps or other experiences. 
    One thing to consider is that the whole concern about being "locked to a platform" relies on a very specific assumption: the developers won't let you auto-transfer your titles.
    And this is not always the case. Developers are willing to give free keys to their software, if you can prove you already own this. Many people, including myself, have been given software keys in these occasions. 
    So this is more of a concern about standard practices with developers, as opposed to a problem with exclusive platforms.
    3Jane
    Maybe there should be some rules and standards about this.  It still doesn’t solve the problem of an establishment corporation like Apple (or Facebook/Oculus) banning apps that are the slightest bit controversial because they are worried about complaints. 
    It still doesn’t solve the problem of an establishment corporation like Apple (or Facebook/Oculus) banning apps that are the slightest bit controversial because they are worried about complaints. 
    This is not a real problem. Every legal entity, including people, are entitled to property rights. This includes both physical property and intellectual property. Just like a stranger can't come in to your home and do whatever they want, neither can someone enter the Apple store and do whatever they want.
    Instead, people should just do their own advertising and launch their own storefront. Anyone can build an App and have it run on Apple's platform. Just because it can't be downloaded from the Apple store doesn't mean it can't be downloaded elsewhere.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,654 Valuable Player
    Good grief, mentioning that historical app again. You might as well complain that the Anne Frank app puts Nazis in a bad light so that shouldn't be allowed either. Nazis have feeling too, man. :D:D:D

And yes, they will keep out games they decide are too sexy, too violent and too political just like the ESRB, PEGI and the BBFC. Valve are exactly the same with Steam too.

Dear Oculus, my Rape/Nazi/Paedophile/Porn Simulator game has just been refused entry on your Oculus Store. Fuck you, I'm buying Vive. :o:D:D:D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    3Jane
    edited August 2019
    Zenbane said:
    Instead, people should just do their own advertising and launch their own storefront. Anyone can build an App and have it run on Apple's platform. Just because it can't be downloaded from the Apple store doesn't mean it can't be downloaded elsewhere.

That’s true of the Mac but it’s not true of iOS. iOS apps are much more tightly controlled.  Even on the Mac, they have to be written specifically for the Mac platform, as we all know, or they won’t run. My point is, there’s no reason that needs to be an issue on VR.

On VR, there’s no technical reason that apps have to be exclusive to one vendor, nor do they have to be limited to a single platform. So that’s two things that restrict choice on old school computers that don’t have to apply to VR.

Basically, you’re looking around with your head and waving your arms around. There’s no tight integration with an operating system, attaching a printer, scanner, modem, digital camera etc. that would require a specific operating system.  The controllers even use the standard A, B, X, Y buttons found on a gamepad. 

There really is no operating system on VR except for the artificial one created with a platform specific game store. Like I said, there could be one in the future if people start using VR for work rather than gaming, but that’s some ways off.

I’m surprised I have to explain this. I thought people were more in favor of openness, cross platform compatibility, freedom and lack of artificial restrictions than they appear to be.  People here appear to be more loyal to oculus than they are to VR as a whole, or maybe it’s just the types who tend to frequent the forums. 
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,722 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Good grief, mentioning that historical app again. You might as well complain that the Anne Frank app puts Nazis in a bad light so that shouldn't be allowed either. Nazis have feeling too, man. :D:D:D

And yes, they will keep out games they decide are too sexy, too violent and too political just like the ESRB, PEGI and the BBFC. Valve are exactly the same with Steam too.

Dear Oculus, my Rape/Nazi/Paedophile/Porn Simulator game has just been refused entry on your Oculus Store. Fuck you, I'm buying Vive. :o:D:D:D
    Nazi Pron simulator?
    After seeing sexy nazis in Wolfenstien and Whitemane in WoW.... Color me intrigued.
    WAAAGH!
    edited August 2019
    That’s true of the Mac but it’s not true of iOS. iOS apps are much more tightly controlled.  Even on the Mac, they have to be written specifically for the Mac platform, as we all know, or they won’t run.
    But your point was about, and I quote, "It still doesn’t solve the problem of an establishment corporation like Apple (or Facebook/Oculus) banning apps that are the slightest bit controversial."
    So by your own example, the app would have already been built for iOS. How else would it have been banned from the Apple store if it was not built and submitted?
    Besides, your argument here is against the developers. They are the ones that can build to iOS and make the app available for download on their own storefront.

My point is, there’s no reason that needs to be an issue on VR.

You haven't identified an actual "issue" that needs to be solved. At least not yet. You are just describing good things as if they are bad. But they aren't.

On VR, there’s no technical reason that apps have to be exclusive to one vendor

The technical reason is called a "platform." We covered this already.

People here appear to be more loyal to oculus than they are to VR as a whole, or maybe it’s just the types who tend to frequent the forums.

You keep trying to label people a certain way just because they disagree with you. But the truth is that you are still unwilling to think outside the box. You are trying to argue against competition and innovation, and you are downplaying the positive role that platforms play throughout the entire lifetime of computing. You haven't really presented a strong case here.

VR as a whole benefits from innovation, which stems from competition. And this applies to both hardware and software.

3Jane
    snowdog said:

Come on snowdog, we know that those who are always accusing others of being Nazi sympathizers are the ones who are most likely to be sympathizers of totalitarian regimes themselves. After all, it’s Facebook that wishes to have totalitarian control over everything, including their own App Store on oculus, spying on their users on Facebook, releasing secret spy data on their users to researchers for the purpose of God knows what, etc. Also, the people who are most eager to bring up pedophiles are the ones who are most likely to be pedophile sympathizers themselves. Projection, projection.

We were having a civil discussion until you came along and had to be an asshole about it. 
    After all, it’s Facebook that wishes to have totalitarian control over everything, including their own App Store on oculus, spying on their users on Facebook, releasing secret spy data on their users to researchers for the purpose of God knows what

Consumers have a choice, to use Facebook products or avoid them. There is no "totalitarian control." But if you feel that way about Facebook, then you should obviously avoid their products. And their forum.
    3Jane
    edited August 2019
    Zenbane, you are no fan of VR, you’re just a mindless fanboy of Oculus.  By the way, I do avoid Facebook for the most part. VR was supposed to be different. It was supposed to be a gaming experience, not another thought control experiment. I didn’t realize what a bad thing it was when Facebook bought Oculus, but now I’m beginning to wonder if it was a deal with the devil. 
    edited August 2019
    Zenbane, you are no fan of VR
    I more than just a "fan" of VR, I am someone who sees a future in VR for the Enterprise. And I have enjoyed the last few years of exploring development opportunities in this area.

you’re just a mindless fanboy of Oculus.

Mindless is a rather stretch coming from you, considering the types of arguments you type up, and how quickly you turn to ad hominem attacks when the arguments fail you. I'm a fanboy of all things intellectual. This clearly bothers you.

By the way, I do avoid Facebook for the most part.

This is a Facebook forum, and Oculus is a Facebook company.

VR was supposed to be different.

VR is innovation. And so far, that innovation has been positive.

It was supposed to be a gaming experience

This is completely false. VR is an immersive platform, that goes far beyond mere gaming.

not another thought control experiment.

How many thought control experiments have you undergone?

I didn’t realize what a bad thing it was when Facebook bought Oculus

You've spoken out against Facebook and Zuckerberg from the beginning; painting them in a bad light. So if you didn't realize that something you consider to be bad... was going to be bad when it did more things, then perhaps you need to better assess badness?

but now I’m beginning to wonder if it was a deal with the devil.

I wouldn't say "now" as if it just started today. You've felt this way for a long time. Over 3 years now. I'm still not sure why you continue to visit this community, considering your feelings.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/42583/oh-god-even-oculus-is-doing-it/p1

This discussion has been closed.