cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go will die without a good motion controller solution...

Scaramoosh
Protege
 I got my Oculus Go and I’ve come to realise VR sucks without motion controls. Even something as simple as the Move controllers vastly improve it. I don’t need roomscale, but I do need the ability to use both hands freely. 

The controller sent with the headset is so bad, it’s limiting the headset and I’m thinking of returning the unit it’s so bad. I did think it would at least be as good as the WiiMote.... it cannot even do that, so basic games like ping pong are impossible. 

Oculus really need a proper motion controller solution for the headset, without it I think it’s just going to die. I doubt it would take much to just have a battery powered IR blaster and simple tracking like the Wii. 
30 REPLIES 30

burning_airline
Expert Protege

Scaramoosh said:

How does anyone think this thing is good? It's not even worth 99, let alone 199.

They have different tastes than you.

Anonymous
Not applicable
This guy bought the rift last year as well and said it was crap. I don't think this guy understands what he is buying and adtemp to make up for it - post that it all sucks. I'm not sure I follow why he got a GO and then complains about it knowing full well how it stacks up to the CV1. It makes no sense to me.

If they "suck" it's because you are doing something wrong - not the other way around really. A controller can't just "suck" im sorry either you are miss using the product or have higher expectations than what vr can do right now. VR is not at the nerve gear level yet and you will just have to wait another 20 years before we even see anything like that.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/538962#Comment_538962

edmg
Trustee

The Go display is not better... what are you smoking? 

Higher resolution, less SDE (though it's a bit more annoying due to the square pattern), minimal god rays.

I never finished watching a movie with my Rift. I've watched several with the Go.

Hanover
Rising Star
I've been a Rift user since the CE launch...and I still love the Oculus Go.  Sure, it doesn't do everything my Rift does, but I knew that when I ordered it.  It's great to have an HMD that I can just grab and go while sitting in my recliner. Its a lot more convenient than the Gear VR without the overheating and fumbling around with the phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Atmos73 said:

Oculus are already working on Santa Cruz with twin 6DoF controllers and far better GPU. There’s no release date yet but we should hear a lot more at OC5 in October. 

GO was a GearVR replacement and probably about 12 months too late. Launching GO and Santa Cruz so close together is a mistake imo.

It's not a replacement for the gear vr. Got an s8-s9, no heating issues at all  sd support with the gear vr means much more memory, either Go just does not have enough memory and the gear VR can play cardboard apps and games.

Some apps in the Oculus require GPS for the apps to work as the go does not have GPS.

The gear has many advantages over the go, so would not dismiss the gear vr.

There are some apps on the gear vr oculus store that are not in the go store.

I have both gear VR and the go, but gear vr with the s9 or s9, blows the go out of the water as far as memory goes and it's only memory limits the go's usefulness.

inovator
Consultant
As a heavy rift user, I believe the go is amazing. It has really cut into my rift time. for me it's much better for media and movies. Even certain games are more enjoyable without the chord.I had 30 minutes to kill the other day and used the go. No way would I have used the rift for that short of time with the setup to do 1st. 

kinforlois
Honored Guest

I got my Oculus Go and I’ve come to realise VR sucks without motion controls. Even something as simple as the Move controllers vastly improve it. I don’t need roomscale, but I do need the ability to use both hands freely. 

The controller sent with the headset is so bad, it’s limiting the headset and I’m thinking of returning the unit it’s so bad. I did think it would at least be as good as the WiiMote.... it cannot even do that, so basic games like ping pong are impossible. 

Oculus really need a proper motion controller solution for the headset, without it I think it’s just going to die. I doubt it would take much to just have a battery powered IR blaster and simple tracking like the Wii. 

If you hate the controllers you really should upgrade to the Oculus quest.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

If you hate the controllers you really should upgrade to the Oculus quest.

Holy resurection - He's probably already done that now because started this thread more then a year ago. The last reply was back in 2018 before you replied.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
lol uber necro. That said as a gaming device i think the go is largely dead now, esp more so once the go library is ported to quest.
Assuming long term oculus choose to carry on selling it, i think it will be pushed as a media device and the quest as the games device.
you dont need a fully fledged controller for movies and media
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

inovator
Consultant
Wrong pal. Go is mainly  for media consumption not gaming.