cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSI Laptops keep having black screen issues with the last Oculus and Nvidia updates

Aupuma
Explorer

Hi, 3 months ago, when the Rift S was released, I had many problems connecting my Rift S to my MSI laptop, black screen issues all around. I could only solve it by downgrading the Nvidia driver to the 417.77.

However, two weeks ago I downloaded the last update (431.60) and the issues came back. Now with the No Mans Sky VR release, I want to have the latest updates installed, in order to have the best performance as possible, but the black screen issues makes it impossible to play. (I also have Oculus 1.39 and latest Windows update)

There are many other users with MSI laptops and the same problems, as this NVIDIA forum thread shows. We need someone at Oculus/Nvidia/MSI to fix it ASAP, please!

17 REPLIES 17

tcgamer525
Honored Guest
alright ill try it out 

tcgamer525
Honored Guest
i tried it with 430.86 it was clear for a little bit then it still went to black. 
thanks for the idea tho.

am thinking its something with the msi computer itself, because it seems to only work with the one driver that my computer automatically downloads. and the other wired thing is i only have this problem with the vr. i can play games with the new drivers without any issues.

so as far as know its just oculus fighting with the MSI computer

sraura
Heroic Explorer
As I said... is known issue with many MSI laptops... you should put pressure to MSI if you want updated working drivers to that...

Digikid1
Consultant
ALWAYS use the drivers from MSI DIRECTLY. Never the ones from Nvidia. Only the MSI one know how to do the HDMI Switch properly. 

tcgamer525
Honored Guest

sraura said:

As I said... is known issue with many MSI laptops... you should put pressure to MSI if you want updated working drivers to that...

Already have and i haven't got a response yet  

tcgamer525
Honored Guest

Digikid1 said:

ALWAYS use the drivers from MSI DIRECTLY. Never the ones from Nvidia. Only the MSI one know how to do the HDMI Switch properly. 

ill try that next thank you

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Yep... https://www.msi.com/support/download/ is the driver source for MSI laptops - unless you want to use default windows drivers.

tcgamer525
Honored Guest
alright the problem is on there website they only have the old drivers "the only one i have currently downloaded in my laptop" and the website recommends to go to nvidias website to get latest drivers so, no luck there.
thanks for the idea tho