New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,054 Valuable Player
    MowTin said:
    snowdog said:

Has anyone been able to build material up using the Terrain thingy yet? I can't work it out, all I can manage to do is dig holes so far. I might try and bury myself to avoid those bloody Sentinals, the flying ones aren't so bad but the dog-like ones are right fuckers. :o:D
    Yeah, when you use the menu on your right hand to select the terrain tool, to the right of that you'll see a mode button. Once you select mode, then on your left hand you'll see options for different kinds of terrain to build. 

Is the idea to dig a hole and then block it to escape the sentinels? 

Yup, that's what I was thinking. Or maybe surround myself with built up earth to do the same thing on the ground.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,354 Valuable Player
    open composite is so close to working with this now.  performance looks improved however i would like to have got in the ship to test fully... however the controls are borked.... back to steamvr for now.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,191
    Wintermute
    A bit sad, the patches released in experimental have been very positive and improving each time.  The last issued today was, in my opinion, a step backward as everything is now fuzzy (where previously textures in e.g. Freighter were sharp and well defined) and I can only play for around 10 minutes before the game hangs.  Two attempts to debrief and send out new missions have been lost.
    Fingers crossed tomorrow will bring a fix, not trying again tonight :(
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 3,094 Valuable Player
    Another case of too much hype for me.  Once I go into the game I found it pretty silly, hard to follow, and the graphics did not turn me on.  I ended up getting a refund from Steam (no problem btw).

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest 1 w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

TomCgcmfc said:
    Another case of too much hype for me.  Once I go into the game I found it pretty silly, hard to follow, and the graphics did not turn me on.  I ended up getting a refund from Steam (no problem btw).
    hype is a problem in most things which is why i try to go into everything expecting the worst... that way if it ends up being crap you wont be dissapointed.
    (there are exceptions of course).
    I went into NMS expecting it to be cartoony, a bit BS and grindy but hoping for a nice VR experience.

as such i am happy with NMS.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 347
    Trinity
    No Mans Sky Logo
    MENU

BEYOND PATCH 2.09

August 22, 2019.

Hello everyone,

Thank you again to everyone playing Beyond, especially those taking the time to report any issues they encounter via Zendesk or console crash reporting.

We are listening closely to your feedback, and have identified and resolved a number of stability issues. Fixes for these were released on Steam experimental earlier today, and this patch, 2.09, is now live on PC. We’ll be rolling out these fixes to other platforms as soon as possible.

Bug fixes

• Enabled mouse and keyboard rebinding on PC. Gamepad and other device rebinding can be performed via Steam.
    • Fixed an issue that caused starships to spin endlessly while attempting to dock in the Space Anomaly.
    • Fixed an issue that could cause dismantling the Signal Booster to remove other building parts.
    • Fixed a crash when displaying markers for other players.
    • Fixed an issue that could cause hands to become invisible.
    • Fixed an issue that could prevent players in multiplayer from speaking to NPCs on the Space Station.
    • Fixed an issue in Creative Mode that would prevent the Overseer mission chain from starting.
    • Fixed an issue where some players were unable to summon the Space Anomaly after upgrading from NEXT.
    • Fixed an issue where players were asked to collect nanites from an unusable terminal during the Ghost in the Machine mission.
    • Fixed an issue where players were charged too much when trading in their existing ship or Multi-Tool.
    • Fixed an issue where ships that were being added to a player’s fleet would be instead be traded in if purchased while the player’s current ship still had cargo aboard.
    • Fixed an issue that caused the Upgrade Modules popup to display too aggressively, and to experienced players who did not need to see it.
    • Fixed an issue that caused overly dramatic camera shake in the Space Anomaly.
    • Fixed a crash that could occur when quitting the game.
    • Fixed a rare crash in base wiring.
    • Fixed an issue that caused the loading progress value to appear in the wrong font in certain languages.

We will continue to release patches as issues are identified and resolved. If you experience any issues, let us know by submitting a bug report.

Thank you,
    Hello Games

Trinity
    Well my performance still sucks and I think it's partly because I removed no man's sky from the Oculus games list early on and no cannot get it back. So AWS has no affect on it and my fps is all over the place
    HG continue to impress me at the speed they are pumping out fixes.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,366 Volunteer Moderator
    HG continue to impress me at the speed they are pumping out fixes.

I think they were personally stung by the criticism at the start... I guess understandable criticism. A lot of devs walk away from that but HG are one of those that wanted to put it right. Even so, like you, I'm impressed... well surprised really, at how long they've kept with it and no signs of stopping.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19042.572)
  • mtillermtiller Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Damn that looks good!! Fallout VR was for sure a flop, but an awesome idea though.  Hopefully they can create a better concept for it.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,116 Valuable Player
    RoadToVR seems to be in a generous mood - 75% rating:

https://www.roadtovr.com/no-mans-sky-vr-review-wonderful-deeply-flawed-space-odyssey/

Considering how No Man’s Sky has deservedly become something of a cult classic in traditional gaming, it’s disheartening that the state of its initial jaunt into VR is so disjointed. That said, porting a game as expansive as No Man’s Sky to a medium as complex and relatively uncharted as VR certainly had to have been a herculean effort. And, even given all of the objective issues that I found with this title, it would be entirely unfair to say that it isn’t a diamond in the rough; No Man’s Sky is now the most feature-complete VR game in existence. The Aristotelian saying “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts” rings especially true here. If you can put up with a wealth of ongoing design issues and bugs, and especially if you have a strong resistance to motion sickness, you’ll still find a vast universe to explore in VR with an overwhelming amount to do, create, and share with others across the world. And if you can’t stomach another moment inside of your headset, you can always slip back into the very same save file, and play with the very same friends, from the comfort of your television or monitor display.

Gameplay: 8 | Immersion: 6 | Comfort: 4

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,116 Valuable Player
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    I counted them earlier today, they've done 13 patches since the game released 8 days ago, and had the weekend off. They have to be partaking of the good old Colombian Marching Powder, they can't be doing all of this work on coffee alone lol :D:D:D

Well my performance still sucks and I think it's partly because I removed no man's sky from the Oculus games list early on and no cannot get it back. So AWS has no affect on it and my fps is all over the place

Now that they've got a good amount of the Class A (bugs that prevent a game being played such as crashes) bugs fixed they'll start working on performance tweaks, Sean Murray said this on his Twitter feed earlier.

I've played 12 or 13 hours so far and I'm still on my second planet lol :D Am about to pop over to the space station again to buy some microprocessors so that I can install my hyperspace drive, but I'm not going to actually USE the thing until I finish scanning all of the planets in my solar system. I'll probably end up doing 50 or 60 hours in this solar system altogether I reckon lmfao :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 364
    Trinity
    I havent played much, because I get sick pretty quick.. Total bummer :(  NMS is now synonyms = Sick  
    i9 10900k @ 5200Mhz, 32GB ram, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
    Need a Tesla? Here is a free 1000 miles in supercharging!
    https://ts.la/mark56706
    Looking forward for the control fix with open composite. Once that is done it would seem rift users at least will be getting a nice performance boost. Shame valve won't actually fix steamvr tho!
    Trinity
    Evileyes said:
    I havent played much, because I get sick pretty quick.. Total bummer :(  NMS is now synonyms = Sick  
    Yeah I just use teleport and do not fly making quick turns
    Here's some linkage to a Reddit thread that shows Sean's Tweet:

https://old.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/ctkw4s/lets_the_fun_begins/

I got some major performance issues last night for some reason. No idea why.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 8,022 Valuable Player
    Looking forward for the control fix with open composite. Once that is done it would seem rift users at least will be getting a nice performance boost. Shame valve won't actually fix steamvr tho!
    Where do you get open composite from and is there a tutorial on how to use it?
    Trinity
    They have a discord channel if anyone is interested. I haven't installed the program myself as I'm always cautious of installing stuff on my PC and I'm waiting on bigMike to fill us in

RedRizla said:
    Where do you get open composite from and is there a tutorial on how to use it?

You can get it from here:

https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR

No need for a tutorial - just download it, unzip it and run it. Then press the Switch To OpenComposite button to use it. Press the Switch To SteamVR button to go back to using SteamVR. Press the Update button to update it.

There's an SKSE mod or two that doesn't work with it, can't remember which one(s) now though.

Any compatibility issues just use the Oculus subReddit or the discord thingy to let the dev know, he's pretty quick at fixing stuff so far if it's possible.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 8,022 Valuable Player
    I built a custom Virtual HOTAS out of a tripod, I dock my controller in it and have a natural feeling flight control.

Do please give use a link to the tripod and the cup you use for the touch controller.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,824 Valuable Player
    Thats a great idea LZ!
    WAAAGH!
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,776 Volunteer Moderator
    RedRizla said:
    I built a custom Virtual HOTAS out of a tripod, I dock my controller in it and have a natural feeling flight control.

Do please give use a link to the tripod and the cup you use for the touch controller.
    Ill get you the tripod name (when I wake up) but the cup I made myself out of PVC, Silicone and Epoxy
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Hopefully they're going to add the option for us VR players to have twin stick controls, someone on the NMS Facebook group asked for suggestions for things we'd like to see them adding so I put that request in. I'm surprised that they didn't have that added on day one as an option tbh.

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,267 Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2019
    I'm trying to get started finally, but is it normal to have to walk for hours to find your crashed ship? I did the initial tutorial to fix my scanner, and it shows me a marked beacon that I have to get to, which says "Arriving in four hours". I've been walking towards it for ages, and it seems no closer (still says four hours). Is that my ship?! Am I correct in assuming that I can't save my game until I get to my ship? WTF?!? It's 2:30 in the morning, and I want to pack it in for the night, but it seems like the last few hours are wasted because I can't save my game.

Maybe I'll exit and start over and see if I get a closer crashed ship. This seems an overly painful way to get started, so maybe I'm missing something obvious.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,811 Valuable Player
    Definitely not normal @nalex66
    The directions can be a bit strange. It gets easier to understand the navigation when you are able to use your Visor's advanced viewing. But it should only take a few short minutes to get to your ship. Feel free to share a screenshot or video if you get stuck again.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,267 Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2019
    What the hell, now it says "Arrive in 5 hours." So my mission is "Reach the marked signal 0/1, Exosuit detected automated signal broadcast." It's marked "Signal Source?" with a red icon. That's my ship? If so, I'm going to quit and start over. I've just got the "walk 8000u" achievement, and I'm still seemingly no closer to reaching the signal source.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0