cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kojack said:

RuneSR2 said:

Not sure how much I'm pressing the gpu compared to Rift, but maybe it's possible to do some math. CV1 ss 2.0 - which according to Oculus Tray Tool is the same as SteamVR ss 200 % - should work like this:

rt7teyd6isu5.jpg

CV1 ss 2.0 thus pushes about 10,000,000 pixels per image (both lenses). According to SteamVR, this is how ss 2.0 (200%) looks like when using the Index:

Pixel density of 1.0 on the Rift CV1 is 1344x1600 per eye, not 1080x1200.
Pixel density of 2.0 on the Rift CV1 is 2688x3200 per eye, which is 17.2 MegaPixels total (both eyes)

Also OTT reports ss 1.4 for SteamVR 100% (CV1), so SteamVR 100% doesn't seem to be equal to ss 1.0 (this has been showed before). Thus using Index ss 100% may be equivalent to using ss 1.4 - but adjusted for the Index res, which is about 80% higher than CV1. 
In order not to confuse SteamVR too much, I don't use CV1 in SteamVR anymore. I was thinking that SteamVR 100% must differ for CV1 and Index due to different screen resolutions, but I haven't tested this assumption. Using the values you provided it would seem that SteamVR 200% results in the same res for both CV1 and Index (both get a value of about 17 mill pixels)... That could explain the similar performance (90 fps achievable) I'm observing in some games at 200%, but still would be strange if SteamVR doesn't take HMD res into account... Also in other games and apps I can't get 90 fps using Index 200%, while I could using CV1 200%, so would indicate that CV1 200% differs from Index 200%... 

I think this was posted by a Vive owner - at least here SteamVR seems to have adjusted for the HMD res - his 200% res definitely is much lower than my 200% Index res - and corresponds nicely to the 10 mill pixels in my old chart (2 x 2138 x 2376 = 10,159,776):

7vep6pzc9kmb.png

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kojack
MVP
MVP
Different headsets have different multipliers too, due to lens distortion properties. The CV1 is about 1.24 multiplier horizontally, while the DK2 was about 1.5 and the DK1 was 1.7 (so Pixel Density 1.0 would be 1.7 times the native panel res).

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kojack said:

Different headsets have different multipliers too, due to lens distortion properties. The CV1 is about 1.24 multiplier horizontally, while the DK2 was about 1.5 and the DK1 was 1.7 (so Pixel Density 1.0 would be 1.7 times the native panel res).

It easily gets complicated. Found this for the CV1 - again much lower values for CV1 236% than I get for Index 200%, so makes sense that I'm pushing my GTX 1080 much harder using Index 200% compared to CV1 200%:

CV1 236%
qvzm4ii0w0rc.jpg

Index 200%
ozpiqb0oz8mp.jpg

Or maybe I should just state that Index 200% looks incredibly awesome and I'm very happy to pull 90 fps using that image quality in several lesser demanding games and apps. Getting Index 200% in more advanced games like Lone Echo - and 90+ fps - may really be worth a RTX 3080 or better, lol. 
Did read that some dude used ss 400% in Google Earth - maybe worth a try, I wonder what's the upper limit for Index before you really can't see any difference and you're just wasting performance.  

BTW, ss means a lot to the Index. Probably because of all the subpixels, ss dramatically improves the image quality (Pyroth309 told me that weeks ago, but I'm a slow learner, lol). It may not be a big issue for many Index users, because image quality is already great using Index 100%, and using the CV1 you really depend on high levels of ss to get acceptable image quality due to ss 1.0 being extremely blurry. Maybe ss beyond SteamVR 100% is a luxury using Index, but that doesn't make it less enjoyable. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Luciferous
Consultant
Wow Westworld VR, the series is brilliant. I would so love Red Dead Redemption to come to VR. My god imagine that. Just walking into a saloon in such a richly populated world.

You lose me a bit with the all the settings comparisons but thanks for adding the simpler version for me  🙂

RuneSR2 said:
Or maybe I should just state that Index 200% looks incredibly awesome.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Wow Westworld VR, the series is brilliant. I would so love Red Dead Redemption to come to VR. My god imagine that. Just walking into a saloon in such a richly populated world.

You lose me a bit with the all the settings comparisons but thanks for adding the simpler version for me  🙂

RuneSR2 said:
Or maybe I should just state that Index 200% looks incredibly awesome.

Just let me know if I can do anything to help, should you ever need it. But yeah, calculating 17 million pixels per image does look awesome on the Index in 90+ fps 😉

This also may imply that Reverb will work just fine in many less demanding VR games, if you have a GTX 1080 or better. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@RuneSR2 - Can you tell me if the option for motion smoothing is only available for the Valve index and HTC in Steam? I don't see the option using CV1.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

@RuneSR2 - Can you tell me if the option for motion smoothing is only available for the Valve index and HTC in Steam? I don't see the option using CV1.

Yes, it's not available for Rift and WMR, and you need Win10 and a Nvidia video card, more info here:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/1696061565016280495

Tom's Hardware measured reduced performance with ms on, for now I've disabled ms. 90 fps still get reduced to 45 x 2 when needed.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Seems like more and more are getting controllers working flawlessly:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/cue3lg/full_kit_delivered_today_2308_controllers_workin...

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/ctuzdb/just_received_my_index_in_the_eu_sticks_click_in...

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/cry40b/rmad_controllers_clicking_in_all_directions/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/cqsids/my_new_controllers_are_perfect_all_the_clicks/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/cqlyo9/index_valve_rma_controllers/

It's extremely easy to check if Knuckles are working perfectly or not, below are my controllers shown in the SteamVR Test Controllers Tool. These are all the moves you can't make if the Knuckles don't work correctly. Left thumb stick pressed down (=white colored circle, not pressed down is blue color, latter not shown here) + north-east-south-west directions (look for the very small white dot in the Thumb Stick circle, click to enlarge picture):

634oxerjatyq.jpg
cbetluq9ugjc.jpg
94lovuo2lypf.jpg
smkabyt22v12.jpg

Right thumb stick pressed down (white colored circle) + north-east-south-west directions (look for the very small white dot in the circle):

5zqslhcg4aol.jpg
5u9jjx3tdk2e.jpg
ocitlfgo9hba.jpg
abnwlycfu8xj.jpg

jab
Rising Star
So basically just do a full circle while pressed down and confirm that the white dots stays on for the entire round?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

jab said:

So basically just do a full circle while pressed down and confirm that the white dots stays on for the entire round?

Yes, but there're probably just something like the 4 contacts, and these may be the hardest to activate, so getting all north-east-south-west check points to register should ensure that everything is working as intended. Or do the full circle, just make sure you do reach the periphery. Also very few games use these movements, so there may be some/many users who've never noticed if they've got fully working controllers or not...