cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Sony Really Releasing a PSVR2?

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Here is an interesting article that kinda underlines my previous points about the unlikelihood of a PSVR2 with the launch of the PS5 later next year.
But also reveals that the reality of a PSVR2 is not dead - but is still not 100% confirmed:

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/headsets/1409379/psvr-2-release-date-sony-playstation-vr

The reality is, that though Sony has invested heavily in their PSVR, and seen an amazing 6M+ deployment (real sales rather than contracts), there is still a feeling internally at SCE that failing to achieve the EyeToy 10M+ (which was seen as sub-par) that their VR excursion has not been as profitable as hoped. 

We will be learning in a matter of days if the speculation of a partnership with Microsoft and OculusVR is equally a real deal or hyperbole from the emotionally invested - and if again the console sector is taking a much more pragmatic view of VR association. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
39 REPLIES 39

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Cool, I didn't know about any of this.

Well, I just hope these companies treat VR differently to other products. Because common sense says VR needs more time to mature overall. But there must be thousands of companies and billions invested in VR now, VR is still the future for so many industries.

I hope Sony see's this and realises the potential.

They should do more surveys and ask people what they want. For example, have you ever asked anybody what they want from VR? Or even asked yourself?

I asked myself this question and this is what I want:

• VR Games (I want to play amazing AAA games such as Half Life, Assasins Creed, Metro Exodus, Doom Eternal etc)
  • VR Telephone calls (even if my family dont have VR it would be cool if they could see me in VR on their phone/ipad)
  • VR Holiday Tours (imagine someone having a camera attached to their head or body and going through a rain forrest and communicating with you live and you been able to ask questions like - What does that painting mean inside that pyramid?)
  • VR Live Sports (I want to be able to watch UFC and Boxing live in VR with amazing camera views close to the ring/Octagon)
  • VR Cinema (I want to buy tickets for latest films and watch them on release day at home in a VR cinema)

I hope all these things come true but most of all VR live sports and cinema tickets are my no.1 most wanted.

Do you guys think these things will happen?

Oh and I hope Sony does release PSVR2 and I would buy it also with PS5 🙂
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
There's only one thing holding VR back right now and it's resolution. Once eye tracking is introduced it will appeal to a lot more people because we will be able to have 1080p monitor resolutions.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
That's funny @RedRizla  - I see the things holding back consumer VR as:

- Resolution
- Tracking
- Processor power
- AAA content
- Cooperative Play

One of the reasons I think the Standalone battle ground is separated between 5G systems using existing cable-free high-end PC VR, and the hope that mobile VR can be boosted to achieve suitable performance. 

In not being part of the 5G alliance, its understandable why Facebook would spend its time on Standalone, and negate PC high-end to Lenovo.

In to the middle of this ground is the unknown of console - and that may explain why the PSVR2 patent mock-up looked more like a connected (5G) system with high-end PC elements (halo strap, special visor), than just a up-scaled PSVR.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

There's only one thing holding VR back right now and it's resolution. Once eye tracking is introduced it will appeal to a lot more people because we will be able to have 1080p monitor resolutions.

Not trying to be funny, but cranking up SteamVR to ss 200% on the Index and reviving Kin, it really felt much like 1080p monitor res, at least much better than 720p. The amount of detail was simply incredible, and fps were solid 90. Not sure I need much more. And fov was really big, and no SDE. It's a massive upgrade from the CV1. Sound was really clear too.

Unfortunately I probably need a 4 times faster gpu to do the same in Lone Echo, maybe less if I don't need msaa...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I have a CV1, I have now tried a friends Index and I had a Reverb....Reverb wins on screen res easily. As for PSVR Gen 2 ? It'll be here 6 months after PS5, you'll see.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Techy111 said:

I have a CV1, I have now tried a friends Index and I had a Reverb....Reverb wins on screen res easily. As for PSVR Gen 2 ? It'll be here 6 months after PS5, you'll see.

Nice, did you try 120 hz and the fov? But 120 hz may result in more blurry image quality due to reduced ss depending on your friend's gpu. You can't beat the Reverb res, for some Reverb + Knuckles + base stations may be the optimal VR solution right now, and for sims you probably won't need the controllers.

I do agree that for persons who just want to experience trouble-free VR, CV1 is still the best choice. Especially if you've never experienced better res and have no idea what you're missing.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@kevinw729 - Won't eye tracking solve the Processor power problem? I also think VR has to look better and not just be immersive before it appeals to a lot more people. I spent years playing 2D games and wishing the graphics would get better, but I'm finally happy with how they look in 2D games today.
Once VR gets to monitor resolutions like 1080p, then I'm sure it will takeoff. It only takes one game to look good and to feel apart of to move VR forward. I'm sure some people will have purchased VR just for No Mans Sky, but lets be honest it doesn't look good compared to the 2D game. When it does look as good as the 2D game in VR, what will people have to complain about then?
Also when Consoles first started out they didn't have a vast amount of games. That just comes with time since AAA games take years to make.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I got 4 hours solid tinkering with it mate and was super impressed. He has an uber PC like mine and we was cranking things up and up and up LOL really was enjoying it and still had 12 hours on my reservation....BUT...the god rays reared up and I had a little sigh. Then I contemplated what I would use it for. I am a true simmer (work for Flyinside) and I just wanted that better res. So I left it at that and the wait continues for the Reverb. Sorry for off topic, PSVR Gen 2 late 2020

Use your Index thread @RuneSR2 or the Reverb thread and I can answer there 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
My mistake, hadn't noticed this wasn't the Reverb thread :blush: Now back to PS5VR  o:)