New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

OpenOVR/OpenComposite: The tool you've been waiting for for a stutter-free experience in OpenVR!

GeekyGamiGeekyGami Posts: 112
Art3mis
edited November 2018 in General
Since people don't read what's at the bottom, here's a small disclaimer before we begin;
The developer is Znixian, not me.

Now then, onwards and forwards.

https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR

Open source project made to bypass SteamVR entirely through DLL injection.

If you've had stutter in a VR game from Steam, or a mod that used OpenVR, this is the tool for you.

What happens with SteamVR is inexplicable, but any person with a lick of sense can see that things aren't running quite as smoothly as they should,
and that oftentimes, ASW will be entirely broken, and make a game stutter more.

Anybody who tells you that Oculus bypasses SteamVR entirely, and that it does not impact performance needs to fact-check

What SteamVR impacts is not your framerates, but your frametimes
(Actually, it does impact framerates as well, but I digress.)

Point is, OpenComposite makes for a more stable experience, with less hitching and stutter in titles such as Fallout 4 VR and the Steam release of SuperHot VR,
to not only mention the biggest problem child, VRChat.

Give it a shot, give it support, and help the devs fix bugs due to funky workarounds to VR support!
Make the lives of everyone here better!

https://discord.gg/Wyyc3E <-Discord server, for quick troubleshooting, help, general chit-chat, and talk about Oculus conspiracies and whatnot.

https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/wikis/compatibility  <- Link to the compatibility list for games.
Refer to the Discord compatibility channel for adding, changing, and asking about compatibility with things you've not yet tried.

Feel free to do discussion on it below.
I, personally, have been loving it.

Documentation on ini stuff is on the Gitlab, but here's a pre-made ini for anybody who needs something to start off of.
I'll update it as settings get added
https://mega.nz/#!tpdmwaAK!gdOY_Lw5RxhSdWLgos6lxtE1vDUy6xw6DVfPA_pn3_s

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,509
    Project 2501
    edited November 2018
    I think that there are already a few good (some lengthy) Reddit/Oculus threads, started and contributed to by an OpenComposite Developer so I'm not sure what value there is duplicating these here.  For example;

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9i7s16/openovr_released_play_steamvr_games_without/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9nxixe/systemwide_installation_for_opencomposite_released/

This all looks pretty interesting, esp. for those who feel that Steam games do not play as well as they would like with their CV1's.  Personally I have not found much difference.  I can startup Assetto Corsa a number of ways, including even from the SteamVR Home and I get ~ the same good performance.

I'm not really sure but I think that a lot of problems that CV1 users have with Steam games is that they may be doubling up (maybe even tripling up) SS settings.  That is, SteamVR SS, Oculus (via OTT or ODT, which both take extra resources btw), and in-game settings (which are often not well done by game developers).  

I normally find it's best to just use SteamVR SS and avoid the others.  Also, I like to control ASW on/off by just pausing the game and pressing the ctrl+numlock1-4 keys (1=off, 2=off 45fps locked, 3=on, 45fps locked, 4=auto (default and usually fine for most apps).  This is a function already built into the CV1.

I don't know but I guess you lose the ability to use SteamVR SS settings with OpenComposite.
    In any case I will still be interested to see how this progresses.  Maybe one day we will see a Universal VR protocol, but I'm not holding my breath, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

• GeekyGamiGeekyGami Posts: 112
    Art3mis
    edited November 2018
    You can just set your supersampling per-game with an INI file like the one I provided actually
    The reason I made a thread here is that some people here might not be on Reddit.

I for instance, only go there from time to time due to fetch quests for information or what have you

OpenXR is bound to come out some day, I think it's gonna make a big difference
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 481
    Trinity
    Hey there!
    I've been using your tool for a while, great stuff!

For now your tool is enough to play Steam VR games, but we still have to keep SteamVR on the computer to play those games (because of the lack of VR keyboard, and because some interfaces don't work).
    I really wish I was able to completely bypass SteamVR, so I hope you'll find a way (and time ^^) to implement what's missing!

(And yes, being able to not run SteamVR is better than having to run it, it's obvious: the less tasks, the better)
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • philippe.heroux.58philippe.heroux.58 Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    Works great with Mother VR, the Alien: Isolation VR mod. Thanks,
    https://github.com/Nibre/MotherVR
  • netshamannetshaman Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    please update it for NMS, it says IVR system_20 missing interface at launch.
    unsupported interface ivr system_20, open composite dll error .

• ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 468
    Trinity
    netshaman said:
    please update it for NMS, it says IVR system_20 missing interface at launch.
    unsupported interface ivr system_20, open composite dll error .

Ya I reported it yesterday.
    Znix stated on the discord they would try to get to it this weekend.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,153 Valuable Player
    So good that people do this sort of thing in their spare time, the VR community is awesome. :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,089 Valuable Player
    Hi
    is there an official forum for this (amazing) piece of software?
    I notice for instance the compatibility list is very incomplete... i am hoping to completely get rid of the mess that is steamVR on my machine.

but for instance i cant see any mention of PinballFX2 VR on there which is steamVR on the steam version.

Thanks
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thank you for updating, but i have some pbs with nms, it loads fine etc, but ingame controls are completely flawed and do silly things making the game unplayable.
    while in steam vr the game crashes everytime.
    So what can i do please   ?

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,089 Valuable Player
    NMS is not yet playable with it due to the control bug. Developer is aware and worki g on it. Steam crash are you sure it's up to date? Mine crashed steam but then an update rolled out to open composite which fixed it.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Hiro Protagonist
    I solved the steam crash, i deleted the open ovr file in users\username\appdata\openovr\
    Despite the fact it runs less smooth than open composite it works now.
    Edit: the software  got an update  , i  will try it right now !
    Hiro Protagonist
    Ok, tested, it is not working as expected, menus appear by themselves, only two directions are recognized for the stick and menus open by hovering not  by clicking.
    But, it is more stable, than the other version.
    steam is  not working anymore since the update,  geeezzzz ....
  • rednekcowboy77rednekcowboy77 Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    The problem isn't Steam, the problem is with the Oculus software.  It is a huge resource hog and should not be required to be running in order to use your headset.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful for the work-arounds, just pointing out that where the blame should lie.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 982
    3Jane
    edited August 26
    The problem isn't Steam, the problem is with the Oculus software.  It is a huge resource hog and should not be required to be running in order to use your headset.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful for the work-arounds, just pointing out that where the blame should lie.
    Of course, any system should work without the need for dedicated supporting software...
    OpenVR is a step in the right direction to remove the real resource hog...  Oh, sorry, Steam is perfect - what on earth made me think otherwise!

If Oculus software/hardware is so abysmal...

(are you sure you're not another Atmos clone?)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 344
    Trinity

Have you tried turning steam off completely on you PC and checking the RSS it's was using , even at idle it uses somewhere around 20 % plus of my cpu , Oculus SW at idle uses less than 6%

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,153 Valuable Player

Have you tried turning steam off completely on you PC and checking the RSS it's was using , even at idle it uses somewhere around 20 % plus of my cpu , Oculus SW at idle uses less than 6%

Yup, this ^^^
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • dhgbrowndhgbrown Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Except without the oculus software my system at boot is at 4% ram. When I manually start the oculus runtime without home my process list jumps from 30 to 41 without home running and @ 12% ram usage with the headset still off and not running HOME.
    When home starts then I am at 48 processes and 18% ram usage *still not in game*!!!
    Run steam and try and run a steam VR title and it goes even higher 54 processes and 22% ram usage
    *still not gaming*!!!

66 Processes after starting NMS and @ 30% ram usage at idle in the game stationary not even looking around or even through the HMD at the game.

Not bad right?

How much concurrency do you and steam really need how much duplication of resources is needed
    Does steam really need 13 helper processes when running in VR?
    Do not even get me started on how many oculus processes there are while running a SteamVR game on this machine!!!