cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does updating Graphic Card drivers make a difference to your fps?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Quick question. I have a Geforce 2080ti and wondered if updating your graphic drivers really makes such a huge difference to your fps? I ask because I have a 3D projector and since Nvidia decided to stop supporting Nvidia 3D, it has left me not being able to update to the current Nvida driver, unless I want to give up on 3D, which I don't want to do. Stability wise my drivers seem fine because I haven't had any crashing in the games I play, but I'm more interested to know if I will be losing out on higher fps? I did do a search and I saw that some people said the latest Geforce 2080ti drivers actually made their fps worse by 3 or 4 fps.
So are we just talking about a few fps here and there or can a driver boost fps by say more then this? Really pished off that Nvidia has stopped supporting 3D.
25 REPLIES 25

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@ohgrant - I think I read that Tridef 3D were still taking people's money even though it was no-longer supported and couldn't be activated, or am I think of another program? I can't remember now it was that long ago.

ohgrant
Superstar
Yes, there was a campaign to keep IZ3D alive and the owners set a real high price. The community tried but didn't come up with the $. I didn't frequent that forum and didn't read about it until it was all over with and nothing but spammers were in the forum.  I still use that old driver and monitor on rare occasion, great for DX 8,9 and some select 10 games. 
 Sad the developers didn't come up with a more reasonable price. 
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

ohgrant
Superstar
 Red, one thing that has been on my mind since you asked the question is, are your concerns about FPS for casual gaming or VR, or are you looking for competitive edge in your 2D gaming?
 The reason I ask and you may already know all of this. If I'm understanding correctly, the FPS that you actually see is regulated by the refresh rate of your monitor. So if your using a 60 Hz monitor, 60 FPS is what you are actually seeing and all the monitor is capable of displaying.. Fraps or other benchmark apps may be telling you a much higher number, those frames are dropped resulting in screen tearing and the need for vertical sync.  
 The 3D Vision driver requires 120 Hz for it's page flipping output, but that's 60 Hz per eye and what you are seeing is really that of a 60 Hz monitor just in 3D. I would imagine playing competitively with 3D vision would put someone at a slight disadvantage with someone with a high refresh rate monitor. As would playing on a 60 Hz monitor. 
 The thought occurs to me that a high quality high refresh rate monitor is as important to competitive gaming as the GPU when FPS is paramount to survival. 
  These uber dorks set up a slow motion test to demonstrate. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV8P6T5tTYs&t=342s
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Mostly for VR, but I'd like to think I'm getting the most fps out of 2D gaming too. I have a Geforce 2080ti and a 144hz monitor capable of both 3D and 2D at 144Hz. I also have a 4k Samsung Qled television capable of 120Hz at 2K. I guess after paying so much money for the Geforce 2080ti, I'm just worried I'm not getting the fps I should be getting. I don't mind losing a few fps here and there, but would hate to think I'm losing something like 10fps.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

Mostly for VR, but I'd like to think I'm getting the most fps out of 2D gaming too. I have a Geforce 2080ti and a 144hz monitor capable of both 3D and 2D at 144Hz. I also have a 4k Samsung Qled television capable of 120Hz at 2K. I guess after paying so much money for the Geforce 2080ti, I'm just worried I'm not getting the fps I should be getting. I don't mind losing a few fps here and there, but would hate to think I'm losing something like 10fps.

From time to time you can always install and try a new driver - and get your performance results maybe in TimeSpy and/or Unigine Heaven - or activate the performance HUD in OTT and test your favorite VR game. And then you can revert back to the old driver. So far I've had no luck finding great performance boosts in new drivers, if I wasn't forced to abandon 385 last year I'd probably still be using that driver 😉 When getting a new video card there're of course limits to the drivers you can use.
BTW seems like Index would be an obvious choice with your love for 120 and 144 Hz - and when having a 2080 Ti under the hood 😉

9kcvg52nqw9i.png

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Rosgillies
Adventurer

RedRizla said:

IMHO, drivers sometimes give a small fps benefit but mainly stability improvements are the most important, and that is what I`ve experienced most of all over the years. Currently on 436.02 WHQL.

Not always the case because I just saw a YouTube video where someone bench tested a game and the latest drivers were worse then the previous driver. For some reason he got 3fps less with the latest driver in the game called "The Division".
I also found the last driver that included Nvidia 3D vision made my 3D videos stutter, so I had to choose an older driver to stop this happening.

That`s why I stated "sometimes" after the word drivers. In fact I have just reverted to 425.11 from 436.02 due to problems encountered in ETS2 which were`nt present in 425.11. A nice stable "earlier" driver.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RedRizla said:

IMHO, drivers sometimes give a small fps benefit but mainly stability improvements are the most important, and that is what I`ve experienced most of all over the years. Currently on 436.02 WHQL.

Not always the case because I just saw a YouTube video where someone bench tested a game and the latest drivers were worse then the previous driver. For some reason he got 3fps less with the latest driver in the game called "The Division".
I also found the last driver that included Nvidia 3D vision made my 3D videos stutter, so I had to choose an older driver to stop this happening.

That`s why I stated "sometimes" after the word drivers. In fact I have just reverted to 425.11 from 436.02 due to problems encountered in ETS2 which were`nt present in 425.11. A nice stable "earlier" driver.

Yeah, sorry. I did notice you said: "sometimes", but I didn't see you mention that a new driver can also decrease fps. That's why I mentioned it.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Hey Rune, how's it going with your Index mate?

What games you playing? 

Are you still loving your Index and controllers? 
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@SkScotchegg - Wrong thread 🙂

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Hey Rune, how's it going with your Index mate?

What games you playing? 

Are you still loving your Index and controllers? 

Yes to all - and I may add - keeping my post just slightly relevant to this thread  o:) - that I'm using Forceware 417 as Valve has recommended, not the new driver stuff  B)

Right now I'm into Westworld:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/79828/westworld-awakening-a-new-bar-for-story-drive...

- Actually just having a glass of red wine and waiting for the kids to sleep, so I can download the new giant expansion to Vanishing Realms which should be out 12 AM PST (in about 1 hour). Hope it'll work@90fps using Index ss 200% for truly astonishing image quality. 

My Knuckles work perfectly - they fit my hands like gloves - even faster to put on than Touch, because I don't need the lanyards. Even though CV1 is still connected I don't use it anymore, but the kids do. And I don't miss Touch - even if Touch was awesome. Knuckles are more advanced, you have more buttons and functions, maybe not great for newbies, kids or the elderly, but I truly love my Knuckles. 

And now back to the thread's main focus... 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"