cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenOVR/OpenComposite: The tool you've been waiting for for a stutter-free experience in OpenVR!

GeekyGami
Adventurer
Since people don't read what's at the bottom, here's a small disclaimer before we begin;
The developer is Znixian, not me.

Now then, onwards and forwards.

https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR

Open source project made to bypass SteamVR entirely through DLL injection.

If you've had stutter in a VR game from Steam, or a mod that used OpenVR, this is the tool for you.

What happens with SteamVR is inexplicable, but any person with a lick of sense can see that things aren't running quite as smoothly as they should,
and that oftentimes, ASW will be entirely broken, and make a game stutter more.

Anybody who tells you that Oculus bypasses SteamVR entirely, and that it does not impact performance needs to fact-check

What SteamVR impacts is not your framerates, but your frametimes
(Actually, it does impact framerates as well, but I digress.)

Point is, OpenComposite makes for a more stable experience, with less hitching and stutter in titles such as Fallout 4 VR and the Steam release of SuperHot VR,
to not only mention the biggest problem child, VRChat.

Give it a shot, give it support, and help the devs fix bugs due to funky workarounds to VR support!
Make the lives of everyone here better!

https://discord.gg/Wyyc3E <-Discord server, for quick troubleshooting, help, general chit-chat, and talk about Oculus conspiracies and whatnot.

https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/wikis/compatibility  <- Link to the compatibility list for games.
Refer to the Discord compatibility channel for adding, changing, and asking about compatibility with things you've not yet tried.

Feel free to do discussion on it below.
I, personally, have been loving it.

Documentation on ini stuff is on the Gitlab, but here's a pre-made ini for anybody who needs something to start off of.
I'll update it as settings get added
https://mega.nz/#!tpdmwaAK!gdOY_Lw5RxhSdWLgos6lxtE1vDUy6xw6DVfPA_pn3_s

19 REPLIES 19

bigmike20vt
Visionary
NMS is not yet playable with it due to the control bug. Developer is aware and worki g on it. Steam crash are you sure it's up to date? Mine crashed steam but then an update rolled out to open composite which fixed it.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

netshaman
Expert Protege
I solved the steam crash, i deleted the open ovr file in users\username\appdata\openovr\
Despite the fact it runs less smooth than open composite it works now.
Edit: the software  got an update  , i  will try it right now !

netshaman
Expert Protege
Ok, tested, it is not working as expected, menus appear by themselves, only two directions are recognized for the stick and menus open by hovering not  by clicking.
But, it is more stable, than the other version.
steam is  not working anymore since the update,  geeezzzz ....

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer
The problem isn't Steam, the problem is with the Oculus software.  It is a huge resource hog and should not be required to be running in order to use your headset.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful for the work-arounds, just pointing out that where the blame should lie.

RattyUK
Trustee

The problem isn't Steam, the problem is with the Oculus software.  It is a huge resource hog and should not be required to be running in order to use your headset.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful for the work-arounds, just pointing out that where the blame should lie.

Of course, any system should work without the need for dedicated supporting software...
OpenVR is a step in the right direction to remove the real resource hog...  Oh, sorry, Steam is perfect - what on earth made me think otherwise!

If Oculus software/hardware is so abysmal...

(are you sure you're not another Atmos clone?)
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Star-lizard
Rising Star

Have you tried turning steam off completely on you PC and checking the RSS it's was using , even at idle it uses somewhere around 20 % plus of my cpu , Oculus SW at idle uses less than 6%

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried turning steam off completely on you PC and checking the RSS it's was using , even at idle it uses somewhere around 20 % plus of my cpu , Oculus SW at idle uses less than 6%

Yup, this ^^^

dhgbrown
Honored Guest
Except without the oculus software my system at boot is at 4% ram. When I manually start the oculus runtime without home my process list jumps from 30 to 41 without home running and @ 12% ram usage with the headset still off and not running HOME.
When home starts then I am at 48 processes and 18% ram usage *still not in game*!!!
Run steam and try and run a steam VR title and it goes even higher 54 processes and 22% ram usage
*still not gaming*!!!

66 Processes after starting NMS and @ 30% ram usage at idle in the game stationary not even looking around or even through the HMD at the game.

Not bad right?

How much concurrency do you and steam really need how much duplication of resources is needed
Does steam really need 13 helper processes when running in VR?
Do not even get me started on how many oculus processes there are while running a SteamVR game on this machine!!!

RaggedyAnn1234
Honored Guest

There's no access to get the launcher and the master file has no executable for me to install so what do I need to do?

Odd.

I downloaded the launcher 5 days ago, but I see now the download link is invalid.

Also the launcher downloads the actual libraries needed when run, but they are invalid links now too.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2