cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(blank screen) Rift S Crashes NON STOP (SOLVED!!)

Darrenteed
Explorer
My original post is below however it might not be descriptive enough to the actual problem so I am updating that here to hopefully help others.
Basically, the Oculus app would open, I would try to put on the headset and as soon as the headset would start to display, it would disconnect and the Oculus app would close and reopen. I could also just bump or move the headset to cause the crash. additionally, the app told me my USB drivers were out of date. My solution to this problem is in a comment below. 

ORIGINAL POST:
Hey There. I have sent a rift S in for repair because the headset would crash the second it was moved at all. I got my new one back today and same story.
Any ideas? I am at a loss now. 
83 REPLIES 83

john.zigmont
Heroic Explorer
If my new TV which had white static flashes every 5 minutes and was released would this be acceptable ? NO

If my second new monitor had a blank screen when enabled would this be acceptable ? No

To be honest the headset now is manageable it's not a hour of troubleshooting problems to use it.

A lot of users and myself purchased the Rift-S and its suppose to work correctly which it does not, Oculus solves one problem with update and two other problems are introduced.

I said this in many posts the Rift-S shouldn't passed QA in its current state and I'm very tired of submitting tickets for problems that a QA department should of noticed before the product was released.

jab
Rising Star
Oculus Home software is the problem here, not the Rift-S hardware. And Home was announced mid 2015. And I must say that in my book. 4 years should be enough time to expect a commercial game portal from a billion dollar company to be able to handle things like international windows login user names or having a space in the login name.. I mean it's not like Home is some small side project or something. It's their main product meant to generate long term income.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Wait so a gaming device has issues when it first comes out?
Say it aint so!

Lets look at recent releases.....

X box 360 red ring of death
x box 1 faulty hard drives
ps 4 bad firmware
WAAAGH!

john.zigmont
Heroic Explorer

Morgrum said:

Wait so a gaming device has issues when it first comes out?
Say it aint so!

Lets look at recent releases.....

X box 360 red ring of death
x box 1 faulty hard drives
ps 4 bad firmware

One thing the Rift-S isn't there first product

Xbox 360 Slim (Red Ring of Death) Solved
Xbox 360  Slim (faulty hard drives) Solved
PS4 Slim  bad firmware  Solved
Most companies in entertainment market make sure the second time around the problems are addressed.
Rift S simpler to setup but a whole new set of problems

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
It wasnt just the slims that had those issues and it took time to solve most of those consoles issues.
Xbox one and PS 4 are those companies third and forth time around and they are still running into problems.

The same is happening with the Rift S.
New systems have growing pains.
New software have growing pains.
Hell old software +  New hardware brings new issues that have to be solved.

We I.E. the PC consumers know this and know to stay away from new products unless we are willing to do the troubleshooting ourselves if we have issues.

Oh yea cannot compare a headset W/tracking W/internal cameras that will be used on millions of different PC configurations looking at what operating systems, updates, and internal components to a TV set which only uses its own programming and accepts just audio and visual feeds.
Thats like comparing a Porche to a Steam roller. 
Sure they both roll but they have vastly different jobs.
WAAAGH!

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer

Morgrum said:

It wasnt just the slims that had those issues and it took time to solve most of those consoles issues.
Xbox one and PS 4 are those companies third and forth time around and they are still running into problems.

We I.E. the PC consumers know this and know to stay away from new products unless we are willing to do the troubleshooting ourselves if we have issues.

Oh yea cannot compare a headset W/tracking W/internal cameras that will be used on millions of different PC configurations looking at what operating systems, updates, and internal components to a TV set which only uses its own programming and accepts just audio and visual feeds.

So how long should we wait after release before we can expecting a working and functional product?

Just because it happens, does not mean that is neither OK or acceptable.  Why are you trolling people with very frustrating and very valid complaints?  Do you have nothing better to do with your pathetic time than kicking people when they are already down?

john.zigmont
Heroic Explorer

Morgrum said:

So how long should we wait after release before we can expecting a working and functional product?

Just because it happens, does not mean that is neither OK or acceptable.  Why are you trolling people with very frustrating and very valid complaints?  Do you have nothing better to do with your pathetic time than kicking people when they are already down?

This is bunch of BS I been purchasing electronics for close to 50 years and this tops the cake a broken product user's it OK all products work like this  what BS.
When I purchase a product I don't want to search the internet for solutions, trouble shoot, submit tickets and find things only by purchasing the product. EX I saw many reviews about the Rift-s how easy it is to setup the increase in resolution, the tracking is excellent but none of the reviewers mention the white screen flashes, the tracking depends on which Oculus version of software it's hit or miss. How hard would be to correct the false positive USB error in 1.39.1

When I owned a Rift CV1 I build a nice size software library purchased from the Oculus store this is the only reason I own a Rift-S.

I have three other headsets which are plug N play
1 Samsung Odyssey Plus
1 Samsung Odyssey
1 Vive

To be honest the Rift-s is manageable now  and I can play it and enjoy it.

john.zigmont
Heroic Explorer
To sell to mass public the item must plug N play not R and D.
+1 @rednekcowboy77 

This is BS when I purchase something it's suppose to work bottom line not countless hours of trouble shooting.

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer

To sell to mass public the item must plug N play not R and D.
+1 @rednekcowboy77 

This is BS when I purchase something it's suppose to work bottom line not countless hours of trouble shooting.

EXACTLY!!!

It is one thing to have growing pains and bugs, it is a complete other situation to have a support staff that doesn't care to troubleshoot issues and instead sends you on wild goose-chases, a company that employs shills and trools to frustrate users with very relevant issues, and a company that spends money on these shills and trolls rather than a good tech team to resolve the issues in an attempt to discredit those REAL users having the issues by choking every thread here and on reddit with fake "I have 0 issue posts."

Oculus support not only acknowledged this to me in an email but apologized profusely for it.

I don't expect a perfect experience, but I do expect a functional one where I don't have to spend 2 hours troubleshooting an issue every time I want to use my headset.  Especially when that could take a fraction of the time it does because Oculus refuses to release a fully downloadable exe of their software and refuses to do proper QA and also spend the money to have someone clean up their ancient and carried-over code from the very beginning of their existence.

My setup is working almost 100% fine now.  The odd time I have to restart my computer to get things running smoothly again but it took me 2 solid days of trouble-shooting to get to that point.  I am no n00b, I owned the original Rift and expected some quirks, users like @Morgrum here and on reddit make searching or having a usable cooperative community impossible to fix these issues except on your own.  It was the same with the original Rift.  Every thread someone starts with an issue is followed by a plethora of jerkoffs like @Morgrum and others saying they have no issues or outright chastising people for daring to search for help for the issues they face.  Especially on these forums, those users should be outright banned and kicked.

I am not a "new adopter" nor did I "jump the gun."  I waited 6 months after launch to ensure I did not have to deal with issues.  For the original Rift, I was very late to the game and only purchased one about 9 months ago.  I was extremely sad to see absolutely 0 improvements to the Oculus software whatsoever and even more disheartened to see no attempt to make the software more efficient but instead Oculus just patched old code with new which is why we have constant issues whenever an update is issued.  You can only patch something so much.  Eventually you just end up with complete garbage.

It isn't right and it isn't fair for Oculus to just not give a shit about their customers but, worse than that employ shills and trolls in an attempt to discredit people that have spent their hard earned money when all they want to do is experience something worry free.  To add insult to injury, when you finally do post your issue, you're assaulted with a barrage of attacks and ridicule, right here on their very own forums.  It's completely disgusting!!

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer

Morgrum said:

This is bunch of BS I been purchasing electronics for close to 50 years and this tops the cake a broken product user's it OK all products work like this  what BS.
When I purchase a product I don't want to search the internet for solutions, trouble shoot, submit tickets and find things only by purchasing the product. EX I saw many reviews about the Rift-s how easy it is to setup the increase in resolution, the tracking is excellent but none of the reviewers mention the white screen flashes, the tracking depends on which Oculus version of software it's hit or miss. How hard would be to correct the false positive USB error in 1.39.1

When I owned a Rift CV1 I build a nice size software library purchased from the Oculus store this is the only reason I own a Rift-S.

I have three other headsets which are plug N play
1 Samsung Odyssey Plus
1 Samsung Odyssey
1 Vive

To be honest the Rift-s is manageable now  and I can play it and enjoy it.

I, like you--well not all those headsets, but also owned a Vive and I had 0 issues with it.  Setup--including mounting the sensors on the wall, took less than half an hour and was fully functional without issue.

My original Rift, which I purchased after the Vive, took over 2 weeks and cost me an extra $300 over the original price tag of the actual headset itself for extra sensors, cables and computer equipment in order to get fully functional and I received 0 help either online or from Oculus support.  It was a matter of me troubleshooting on my own and trying different things (including skipping parts of the setup in the Oculus software) before I actually had a fully functional setup.

Likewise, with the Rift-S, I had to find my own solution once again, in large part due to users like @Morgrum, until I figured out I not only needed to completely remove the Oculus software but also go into device manager, uninstall and delete all the drivers, remove all the leftover files that the uninstaller left (appdata, etc), reboot and completely redo a fresh install.  Once I did all that, then I had a mostly bug-free experience.  I still get the odd glitch where I have to redo the guardian setup or inconvenient game crashes every time I use the Rift-S but at least all it requires is a quick reboot to get things fuctional again.  Still not ideal but is as best as you will get for an experience with Oculus.  FYI, I never had these issues with Vive at all.

It all boils down to crap software (Oculus Home) that has received patch on top of patch without every going through an efficiency over-haul.  Every bug since the beginning of time is still there and is carried-forward,  It is completely unacceptable--to the point of being purposely negligent.