cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(blank screen) Rift S Crashes NON STOP (SOLVED!!)

Darrenteed
Explorer
My original post is below however it might not be descriptive enough to the actual problem so I am updating that here to hopefully help others.
Basically, the Oculus app would open, I would try to put on the headset and as soon as the headset would start to display, it would disconnect and the Oculus app would close and reopen. I could also just bump or move the headset to cause the crash. additionally, the app told me my USB drivers were out of date. My solution to this problem is in a comment below. 

ORIGINAL POST:
Hey There. I have sent a rift S in for repair because the headset would crash the second it was moved at all. I got my new one back today and same story.
Any ideas? I am at a loss now. 
83 REPLIES 83

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

Morgrum said:

It wasnt just the slims that had those issues and it took time to solve most of those consoles issues.
Xbox one and PS 4 are those companies third and forth time around and they are still running into problems.

The same is happening with the Rift S.
New systems have growing pains.
New software have growing pains.
Hell old software +  New hardware brings new issues that have to be solved.

We I.E. the PC consumers know this and know to stay away from new products unless we are willing to do the troubleshooting ourselves if we have issues.

Oh yea cannot compare a headset W/tracking W/internal cameras that will be used on millions of different PC configurations looking at what operating systems, updates, and internal components to a TV set which only uses its own programming and accepts just audio and visual feeds.
Thats like comparing a Porche to a Steam roller. 
Sure they both roll but they have vastly different jobs.

So how long should we wait after release before we can expecting a working and functional product?

Just because it happens, does not mean that is neither OK or acceptable.  Why are you trolling people with very frustrating and very valid complaints?  Do you have nothing better to do with your pathetic time than kicking people when they are already down?

So stateing a fact is an issue with you hmm.
To your question I give new software/hardware 6mths.
Even the new Nvidia cards had issues when they came out because the drivers were not pushung tge cards to their potential.
Only one of us is throwing insults so who exactly is the problem here?
@rednekcowboy77 perhaps you should be wondering why you have such anger when others point out that your points have major holes.
All new products have issues give it some time and it will be fixed.
Or would you rather continue ranting about things that are out of your hands.

WAAAGH!

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer

Morgrum said:

Morgrum said:

It wasnt just the slims that had those issues and it took time to solve most of those consoles issues.
Xbox one and PS 4 are those companies third and forth time around and they are still running into problems.

The same is happening with the Rift S.
New systems have growing pains.
New software have growing pains.
Hell old software +  New hardware brings new issues that have to be solved.

We I.E. the PC consumers know this and know to stay away from new products unless we are willing to do the troubleshooting ourselves if we have issues.

Oh yea cannot compare a headset W/tracking W/internal cameras that will be used on millions of different PC configurations looking at what operating systems, updates, and internal components to a TV set which only uses its own programming and accepts just audio and visual feeds.
Thats like comparing a Porche to a Steam roller. 
Sure they both roll but they have vastly different jobs.

So how long should we wait after release before we can expecting a working and functional product?

Just because it happens, does not mean that is neither OK or acceptable.  Why are you trolling people with very frustrating and very valid complaints?  Do you have nothing better to do with your pathetic time than kicking people when they are already down?

So stateing a fact is an issue with you hmm.
To your question I give new software/hardware 6mths.
Even the new Nvidia cards had issues when they came out because the drivers were not pushung tge cards to their potential.
Only one of us is throwing insults so who exactly is the problem here?
@rednekcowboy77 perhaps you should be wondering why you have such anger when others point out that your points have major holes.
All new products have issues give it some time and it will be fixed.
Or would you rather continue ranting about things that are out of your hands.

So, I waited 6 months to purchase the Rift-S but yet you criticize me for me being an early adopter???  Which is it?  I have stated multiple times now that I waited 6 months after release prior to purchasing the Rift-S.  Are you too busy trolling to actually read posts or are you just too ignorant to actually comprehend text?

I'm not angry at you, forgive me if my posts convey that tone.  I am simply wondering why you are posting in this thread at all as you have offered no assistance whatsoever.  All you have done was regurgitate the same old thing and then finally when you actually answered my question, it contradicts all your prior postings as I have waited your own defined required period but still had severe issues which made my product unusable.

What I am upset about is Oculus wasting money employing people like you (maybe not directly on the payroll but through various programs giving incentive to general persons that actively post on forums contradicting and sidelining threads, as you have done here--something support admitted to me outright) to the likes I have never seen, squashing and absolutely overpowering any thread anywhere complaining of issues with their product.  They did it with the original Rift and continue the practice with the Rift-S.  It's a completely disgusting practice that any person with any kind of moral fabric at all would be disgusted by.  Unfortunately, there is a plethora of people like you eager to sell out for a couple free games.

Again, if what I said above is not true, then why are you ridiculing users that spent their hard-earned money, when, by your own definition, they should have a glitch free experience?  By your own requirements, I waited the exact amount of time defined by you--and that is only for the Rift-S.  The original Rift, I only purchased 9 months ago, and it took me almost 2 months to have a bug-free, functional setup.

Why do you keep posting when you have nothing to offer but to bash of users with very real and very relevant issues?  You have provide absolutely no relevant information other than to come here and troll users that are facing legitimate issues.  What is your purpose here?

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
I am pretty sure the only one ridiculing in this topic is you.
I commented in a very valid way with facts to what was an incorrect statement.
It still comes down to have some patience.
As I said earlier PC’s have millions of combinations; what works on one may not work on another.
Especialy with this tech.
I have complete faith that the S had multiple testbeds of various common builds and that the units worked with those builds before they were placed on the market.

Every few mths or two we get some new individual whos comes here makes alot of noise and insults other forum members.
They routinely only last a month and life goes on.
Mostly because their toy does not work.
Maybe you’ll leave maybe you’ll stay.
Honestly I hope you stay because as you learn from your experiences you will be able to help others like many of us have done.

That being said.
Between the two of us only one of us has helped other users with troubleshooting on issues they have had on this forum for years.
And its not you.

Well unless they come in kicking and screaming and firing shots at everyone around them.

Edited the I and O shouldnt be that close on the keyboard!
WAAAGH!

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer

Morgrum said:

I am pretty sure the only one ridiculing in this topic is you.
I commented in a very valid way with facts to what was an incorrect statement.
It still comes down to have some patience.
As I said earlier PC’s have millions of combinations; what works on one may not work on another.
Especialy with this tech.
I have complete faith that the S had multiple testbeds of various common builds and that the units worked with those builds before they were placed on the market.

Every few mths or two we get some new individual whos comes here makes alot of noise and insults other forum members.
They routinely only last a month and life goes on.
Mostly because their toy does not work.
Maybe you’ll leave maybe you’ll stay.
Honestly I hope you stay because as you learn from your experiences you will be able to help others like many of us have done.

That being said.
Between the two of us only one of us has helped other users with troubleshooting on issues they have had on this forum for years.
And its not you.

Well unless they come in kicking and screaming and firing shits at everyone around them.

Where have you helped anyone in this thread?  Please point me to your post.  Why did you neglect to quote my post and actually acknowledge your own fumblings (and don't give some weak ass answer like it was not worth your time--you know damn well you left out the quote because everything said is 100% true).  You're out of gas bud.  You may have 1600+ posts but 1599 of them are completely useless garbage just like what you posted here.  If you have nothing actually helpful to offer, just go away.  Those of us with our REAL ISSUES want a community where we work together to solve those issues--not a bunch of shills railroading threads offering nothing but a bunch of bullshit.

Actually please point me to any post on these forums where you have helped anyone.  I've looked and while I did not go back far in your history--there is a definite pattern when it comes to your posts.

I asked you a point blank question, you answered with the exact timeframe I waited.  You have done nothing in this thread but continually bash and ridicule users with issues (which you have a history of doing), while I have provided a complete and functional remedy for at least my problem, that has been acknowledged by Oculus support--to an issue they were actually RMA'ing headsets needlessly.

Who is helping out who more here?  The person coming into a thread belittling users who, by their own definition, should be expecting a fully functional and bug-free experience or the person providing a resolution that saves a person from shipping their headset to Oculus and therefore being weeks without the device they just spent hundreds of dollars on only to receive a device with the exact same issue?

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Still throwing a tantrum I see.
The only one who has attacked or belittled anyone has been yourself go back and look at your post they are full of attacks.
WAAAGH!

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer

Morgrum said:

Still throwing a tantrum I see.
The only one who has attacked or belittled anyone has been yourself go back and look at your post they are full of attacks.

What tantrum?  Where have I belittled anyone about anything?  Where have I not provided a solution that not only works for me but has been verified as a fix by Oculus support--one that is saving them money vs needlessly RMAing products?

Show me where you have actually posted anything other than a "it works great for me" type post.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

So, I waited 6 months to purchase the Rift-S but yet you criticize me for me being an early adopter???  Which is it? 

You are still an early adopter after having waited 6 months. To avoid being an early adopter, you would have to wait a few years for the next generation version of the Rift-S. That's how early adoption works.

One thing the Rift-S isn't there first product

Rfit-S is a first gen product, since it is a completely revamp of the Rift and, more importantly, was designed by an entirely different company.

jab
Rising Star
Despite the thread title, we are not talking about Rift-S here. It's the Oculus Home software that is causing the issues mentioned here, as it has been doing for years now.

john.zigmont
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

So, I waited 6 months to purchase the Rift-S but yet you criticize me for me being an early adopter???  Which is it? 

You are still an early adopter after having waited 6 months. To avoid being an early adopter, you would have to wait a few years for the next generation version of the Rift-S. That's how early adoption works.

One thing the Rift-S isn't there first product

Rfit-S is a first gen product, since it is a completely revamp of the Rift and, more importantly, was designed by an entirely different company.

So it's not tested or QA  before release ?  The Rift-S still has Oculus name on it  regardless who makes it.

I worked for better 40 years of employment in QA with electronics and entertainment software if I gave the OK on product like the released Rift s state I would have been fired.

john.zigmont
Heroic Explorer

jab said:

Despite the thread title, we are not talking about Rift-S here. It's the Oculus Home software that is causing the issues mentioned here, as it has been doing for years now.

If you are correct which I don't doubt it should have been fixed there is no reason for this. This is there bread and butter