cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(blank screen) Rift S Crashes NON STOP (SOLVED!!)

Darrenteed
Explorer
My original post is below however it might not be descriptive enough to the actual problem so I am updating that here to hopefully help others.
Basically, the Oculus app would open, I would try to put on the headset and as soon as the headset would start to display, it would disconnect and the Oculus app would close and reopen. I could also just bump or move the headset to cause the crash. additionally, the app told me my USB drivers were out of date. My solution to this problem is in a comment below. 

ORIGINAL POST:
Hey There. I have sent a rift S in for repair because the headset would crash the second it was moved at all. I got my new one back today and same story.
Any ideas? I am at a loss now. 
83 REPLIES 83

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer

kojack
MVP
MVP

May 21 2019 is 3 months (and a couple of days), not 6.

The Rift-S was announced in March, but the release was May.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer

kojack said:

May 21 2019 is 3 months (and a couple of days), not 6.

The Rift-S was announced in March, but the release was May.

Ok yes you are correct, but the hardware is not the issue. It is using the same backbone and software and ecosystem of the original Rift and CV1 devices.  That software is years old.  

Even still, 3 months after the official consumer launch is more than enough time.  In the tech world that is still a very long time considering today's landscape.  However this has devolved into a conversation on what is an acceptable timeframe to not be considered an early adopter and has completely deflected from the very real and very detrimental issues that users are facing--as is the normal with every Oculus product thread both here and on reddit.  It is irrelevant.

It doesn't matter if someone is upset because their purchase is unusable.  It doesn't matter how long they have owned the product.  It doesn't matter that posters here and on reddit get butthurt because someone has made a complaint against their holy and sacred company.

What matters is that someone has posted an issue and needs assistance with it.  So please if you can't help with that issue or have nothing relevant to their issue to offer, I am begging you to please stay out of the conversation.  It is unbelievably difficult to find solutions to problems when threads get completely derailed like this.  Even the solution I offered is burried somewhere a page 2 or so in the middle of a bunch of useless arguing.

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer

Morgrum said:

Your experience means nothing Zen I already went over that using other products as examples.

They would rather scream at the world instead of seeing reason.
Especially mister im going to insult everyone who makes a valid point and cry that they are being belittled when someone calls out their B.S.

You are completely missing the point.  They purchased the system and are having issues.  That gives them the right to be frustrated when it does not work as advertised.  After searching for hours/days on the internet and submitting tickets to Oculus support and waiting days for a response that is irrelevant to their issue--if they receive one at all, they finally knuckle up, register here and make a post about their issue, in a last-ditch desperate attempt looking for help and then get mocked, ridiculed and lambasted for being at their wits-end trying to find a solution.  $550 is a big chunk of money for most people--to the point they need to save for a great deal of time to make the purchase only to be hit with everything I just listed above.

I am a member of a number of different forums and am an experienced in tech troubleshooting.  I've been around the block several times.  I have NEVER, seen such a hostile environment like this in all my almost 50 years in ANY community and I've been a part of plenty drama filled scenes.  It is the very reason why so many issues go unreported and unresolved because most people would simply quit and return the product for a complete refund rather than deal with it.  It was the same with the Rift and just continues with the Rift-S.

When someone is extremely frustrated and at the end of the rope, the last thing they need when they finally post looking for a resolution is a bunch of people calling them down for purchasing a product that is advertised for it's ease of use and simple cross-compatibility.  They aren't attacking your beloved company, they are simply lost as to why it doesn't work as advertised and need a little help.

This entire forum needs a complete overhaul and much stricter moderation.

jab
Rising Star
Very true rednekcowboy77, but as an Oculus veteran (original kickstarter) I AM attacking the company and I could not care less what the fanboys think. These types of problems have plagued Oculus products from day one, and they seem incapable of improving since the same things keep happening every time they release.

Anonymous
Not applicable
The Rift S may have been announced around then, but was not available to ship until around May 23rd.
They have only been in the field for little over three months.
Not that it really matters though.

jab
Rising Star
The fact still remains that every time Oculus forces you to update the software without any choice on the matter (most times they can't even be bothered to tell you what's changed in the new version), you are left praying they didn't break something major this time. Not just for the Rift-S but also for the CV1.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

Your right it does then we would not have to deal with people like yourself throwing tantrums and insulting people indiscriminately.

Sorry for the late response I was away from the net for awhile.
WAAAGH!

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer

Morgrum said:

Your right it does then we would not have to deal with people like yourself throwing tantrums and insulting people indiscriminately.

Yet another troll response.  I suggest you read the whole post I wrote.  People like me want a community--people like you do your best to prohibit that from happening.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

Morgrum said:

Yet another troll response.  I suggest you read the whole post I wrote.  People like me want a community--people like you do your best to prohibit that from happening.

Then I suggest you read over the dribble you spouted troughout this topic and others.
Anytime someone gives a point that you do not agree with.
Points out a flaw in your arguement.
Or has no issues themselves you resort to personal attacks and name calling.
The very essence of what you are doing is trolling.
I happen to just call you out on it because you are acting like a child.
You cannot attack and claim innocence.
The world simply does not work this way.

Your own short lived time here has proven that by your very actions you contrary to what you are saying want nothing more then to destabilize the community here.
You are not the first to act in this fashion and you wont be the last.

But do not try to convince yourself that you are innocent of what I have said time and again here on your posting habits.
WAAAGH!