cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joe Rogan interviews John Carmack

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just watched Joe Rogan interview John Carmack...for 2 hrs and 36 minutes. Carmack is officially the smartest man I've ever listened to. He's also the coolest. Rocketry, game coder, and one of the godfathers of VR. On top of that...he took a Testarossa, with a stock 380hp, then modified it to the point it ran 1008hp at the wheel. He said he downtuned that to only 600 to 700hp though. 😛 Rogan started talking about using VR to train martial arts, but said in things like boxing, you don't actually feel the punches land, so suggested a robot that would punch back. Carmack replies, "martial arts robots punching people...that could go poorly". Rogan suggested boxing gloves with haptics, or at least the heavier weight of the glove. Carmack then said he and his son play Beat Saber with 5lb weights on their wrists...lol.

At one point though, I found myself thinking I was watching an older Linus Sebastian...lol. He looks and even sounds like a Linus in his 50's. 😛

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udlMSe5-zP8
10 REPLIES 10

falken76
Expert Consultant
Sweet, I'll watch this while I'm working today.

lensmandave
Superstar
This is a great watch, cheers for the heads up 🙂
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're all very welcome.

If it wasn't for me being making Carmack's captivity public he'd still be locked up in that basement.

That's probably the first time he's seen daylight since September last year.

Anonymous
Not applicable
FREE CARMACK.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

falken76 said:

Sweet, I'll watch this while I'm working today.

LOL, F the corps. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a great watch, cheers for the heads up 🙂

Cheers. I have a few youtube vr channels setup as favourites in Kodi, and came across an 8 minute clip last night of Rogan asking Carmack if Ready Player One could be real. The clip cut with Carmack talking mid-sentence...that prompted me to open a browser and find the full interview. 😛 But yeah, great interview...and Rogan actually let him talk. 😛 It was great hearing his thoughts on Quest and where the future of vr's heading. It was also interesting to hear the concerns over the guardian system, especially the legal issues if someone gets hurt. But like he said...you map your guardian across a staircase...that's on you. 😛

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Heard about this but didn't get to see it live. I will watch it in pieces. Thoroughly enjoy Carmack's speeches, but Rogan's voice and overall attempts to sound smart are incredibly cringeworthy.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Interesting his comments about Magic Leap  B) - seems his position on AR has matured, and seems to see it as father away for common adoption. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Oculus, I mapped my Guardian over my stairs and have now broken my other leg. Fuck you, I'm buying a Vive.