cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using x-plane can't control front wheel

andre747
Honored Guest
Hello, I love my Rift S but on the ground the pedals don't work. in 2D I use Logitech Extreme 3D pro and the twist controls the front wheel and rudder.
Thank you.
Andre
10 REPLIES 10

Greyman
Superstar
Maybe, for the aircraft you are flying, you need to enable nose wheel steering before you can use your rudders to steer it on the ground.  Open the controls mapping settings and search for "nose wheel" to see if this is the case.

andre747
Honored Guest
thank you for your reply. I am not sure where that is in x-plane but it is on. If I use the joystick it controls the rudder and the nose wheel. are you referring to a mapping inside the rift?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
In 3d you should be able to use your joystick and control it the same as in 2d.  The touch controllers themselves can be used but right now there is no way to control rudder.  The rudder is kinda coupled to your roll (aileron) axis.  This only works if  you do not have your joystick plugged in.  Otherwise you can use your joystick twist or external pedals for rudder/nose wheel.  

Maybe go go to the Xp11 vr forum for more information and help.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

andre747
Honored Guest
interesting, I did not think of unplugging the joystick.  Like you said worse case i hold the joystick between my legs and use it for takeoff and landing. Thank you.

lensmandave
Superstar
You can map one of the Touch joysticks to rudder, it's a tad twitchy but it works. 🙂
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

You can map one of the Touch joysticks to rudder, it's a tad twitchy but it works. 🙂

You can only do this through Steam but like you say it’s not ideal right now.  Hopefully Laminar will properly incorporate this in the xp11 joystick menu sometime soon.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

lensmandave
Superstar

TomCgcmfc said:

You can only do this through Steam but like you say it’s not ideal right now.  Hopefully Laminar will properly incorporate this in the xp11 joystick menu sometime soon.

Not for me. I've never used Steam with X-Plane. Just go into the X-Plane joystick settings menu and select Touch Controllers.
Simples 🙂
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Did not work with my Laminar download version and cv1 touch controllers.  Also not reported to work well  on the xp11 forum.

However I have not tried this since 11.30 so maybe I’ll try it again sometime.  Personally I prefer flying with sticks and only use my right touch controller to access menus in VR.

lensmandave
Superstar
Yep, running 11.35 here. I prefer HOTAS too (mostly DCS with my Spitfire sim pit) but also enjoy just kicking back in a comfy chair flying X Plane with the Oculus Touch controllers. It gives you an insight into what VR interactive cockpits may be like in a few years 🙂