Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Can't wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLUDNnIXZmM

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
659 REPLIES 659

Anonymous
Not applicable

msm903 said:

nalex66 said:

I've just gotten to the story part where you come across an abandoned, damaged starship (still pretty early on). I'm hoping I can fix it up and start using it, but I'm not sure about getting or refining some of the needed materials. I've build a second small base there so I can find my way back. My game was a bit crashy tonight--it froze twice while I was getting my base put together, so I had to redo a bunch of pain-in-the-ass resource collection and building.

Does anyone know how to reduce the beam size of the terrain manipulator for mining deposits? If I go into the Mode menu on the back of the right hand, I can change the beam size for creating terrain (with the grip buttons), but I can't get it to take for removing terrain. I've read that you get much more resources from a deposit with the smallest beam size, so it would be nice to figure out how to do that.

Edit: I read on Reddit that if you open the left hand menu (Quick Menu), then the grip buttons work to resize the terrain manipulator beam for subtractive mode. Will test tonight.

I have crashes more often when I utilize Steam VR Beta.

Steam VR is becoming a bloated mess, Open Composite is the way to go to run Steam VR games long as the game is supported ok in it.

msm903
Protege

dburne said:

msm903 said:

nalex66 said:

I've just gotten to the story part where you come across an abandoned, damaged starship (still pretty early on). I'm hoping I can fix it up and start using it, but I'm not sure about getting or refining some of the needed materials. I've build a second small base there so I can find my way back. My game was a bit crashy tonight--it froze twice while I was getting my base put together, so I had to redo a bunch of pain-in-the-ass resource collection and building.

Does anyone know how to reduce the beam size of the terrain manipulator for mining deposits? If I go into the Mode menu on the back of the right hand, I can change the beam size for creating terrain (with the grip buttons), but I can't get it to take for removing terrain. I've read that you get much more resources from a deposit with the smallest beam size, so it would be nice to figure out how to do that.

Edit: I read on Reddit that if you open the left hand menu (Quick Menu), then the grip buttons work to resize the terrain manipulator beam for subtractive mode. Will test tonight.

I have crashes more often when I utilize Steam VR Beta.

Steam VR is becoming a bloated mess, Open Composite is the way to go to run Steam VR games long as the game is supported ok in it.

Tried it, crashed and went back to non beta steam  VR. Also I can invite my friends too

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Man, I'm really getting sucked into NMS. I did get that crashed ship up and running--I've repaired the flight systems, weapons, and shields, but half the inventory slots are damaged (and need a ton of materials to repair), so I'm currently looking for an opportunity to trade it in towards a better ship (I haven't had enough cash for anything I've wanted so far, even with the trade-in of this ship). I need to do some serious resource gathering so I can raise enough money to upgrade my ship and buy a better multi-tool. I'm slowly getting the hang of everything, but there is so much to learn in this game!

The latest VR improvements have moved from the experimental branch to the main game as of yesterday, so if you're having performance issues or are waiting for patches, it's worth it to jump in. I'm getting decent performance on the High preset (with no AA) with 150% resolution in SteamVR. I'm going to try the AA settings again now that they've apparently fixed it.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Star-lizard
Rising Star

nalex66 said:

Man, I'm really getting sucked into NMS. I did get that crashed ship up and running--I've repaired the flight systems, weapons, and shields, but half the inventory slots are damaged (and need a ton of materials to repair), so I'm currently looking for an opportunity to trade it in towards a better ship (I haven't had enough cash for anything I've wanted so far, even with the trade-in of this ship). I need to do some serious resource gathering so I can raise enough money to upgrade my ship and buy a better multi-tool. I'm slowly getting the hang of everything, but there is so much to learn in this game!

The latest VR improvements have moved from the experimental branch to the main game as of yesterday, so if you're having performance issues or are waiting for patches, it's worth it to jump in. I'm getting decent performance on the High preset (with no AA) with 150% resolution in SteamVR. I'm going to try the AA settings again now that they've apparently fixed it.

I haven't tried this myself as I haven't played in the last week with a new PC build etc

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Massive improvement for me in todays patch.  Am still hitting ASW quite a lot but the stutter has totally gone, also draw distance, whilst not great seems improved too.

i could happily play this all day now without sickness

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Star-lizard
Rising Star
Well I just received a notification of my password being changed in the last 30 min , so I had to go back and reset it. Good to see Oculus on top of things

nalex66
MVP
MVP

MowTin said:

I finally built an exocraft. The terrain is so rough that it wasn't fun to drive but that was my first drive. 

I also own a fleet with 2 ships. I lost one ship on some mission. I feel like I wasted U 8 mil on a freighter that's not earning me any money. If the freighter survives an expedition I get like 100k units but it costs me millions if they get destroyed. 

They do a good job in guiding you through active tutorials but the game is still very complicated. 

Tip: Once you get a frigate use it to travel because it uses far less antimatter than your personal spaceship. 

I realized last night that I had access to exocraft—I thought they were locked behind a base-building quest, but that apparently changed with the Beyond update. I grabbed the plans and built one on a nice hilly red-grass planet that I had recently found. It was fun to drive around, but yeah, it’s a bit of a rough ride. Now I want to try some of the other vehicles, particularly the two-wheeler. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm still in the first star system lmfao  😄 😄 😄

nalex66
MVP
MVP
The main quest makes you warp to new systems a couple times, and I did once for a side quest, so I’ve now got four discovered systems. I’ve been to all the planets and moons of my first system, and I’m working on discovering them all for the other systems before I go further. 

It’s to a good idea to visit the space station in each system and use the teleporter so it gets added to your list of jump locations, making it easy to move between systems. You can also get a free inventory slot upgrade at each new space station you visit, so it’s worthwhile to venture out a little. Once you have access to the Nexus, you also get a free inventory upgrade for each system from which you visit it.

Maybe I should start a “tips and tricks” thread for this game. There are a lot of details that the game never tells you (some specific to VR, and some general), and a lot of the info that’s out there is wrong, because the game mechanics were changed in the Beyond update. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I haven't even bothered powering up my first base yet. I'm too busy getting maps for places to visit. I saw today on the NMS Facebook group that you can dig up these ancient ruins to reveal a lot of it, they've been buried over the years. 😮

I'm going to nip out of the star system I started in later on tonight I think cos if I don't do this I'll never be able to go underwater and scan a shitload of fauna that I've missed.