cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why don't one of the big VR companies make a VR headset with a decent resolution?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I was just wondering why one of the big VR companies like Oculus, Valve & HTC, don't give us the choice of having a really good resolution displays like the HP Reverb? I know some people will say it's because not everyone has the graphics card to run VR at high resolutions, but the HP Reverb is capable of running well on just a Geforce 1080ti and plenty of people have those graphics cards. HP also said there was huge demand for their VR Headset, which they didn't expect, but they soon realized this was due to the fact no other headset was pushing their resolutions and the sim community especially were really interested.
Given that the sim community isn't what you would call a small community, (hence the reason why some companies make expensive steering wheels and Hotas Joysticks) I just thought one of the bigger VR companies might have given the sim enthusiasts a decent resolution headset. But it's not only sim enthusiast I'm talking about here because other games will run good with these higher resolution. We all know sims can be demanding, so other games should have no problems.
I do get why Oculus want to cater for the lower end VR market and for people with a Geforce 1060, but they can still cater for these people and give people with a higher end computers something to shout about. Surly it can't be that hard to make a line of VR headsets with just higher resolution displays like the HP Reverb.
Since Oculus are not currently catering for the higher end Graphics cards, it is just forcing me to look elsewhere for a VR headset and I don't really want to do tbh.
48 REPLIES 48

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:
When the CV2 is released in 2022 I can see it being a 4K headset with a 140° FOV with eye tracking and foveated rendering, and even then we'll probably see the current Recommended Specs being the new Minimum Specs.

Did you not say you expected it in 2021 last time?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

kevinw729 said:

snowdog said:
When the CV2 is released in 2022 I can see it being a 4K headset with a 140° FOV with eye tracking and foveated rendering, and even then we'll probably see the current Recommended Specs being the new Minimum Specs.

lol I reckon everyone that predicts dates keeps adding 1 year on each year that passes! hahaha  😛
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I say 2021 would be a safe bet to see a CV2.0 if they do release or early 2022. All the tech is there - just really comes down in how well do they pull it all together at that point. The problem I think we're going to face though - is that out side the price that Oculus wants to be in though.... so I guess we will see if Oculus is willing to jump/leap forward (greater than $700 range) or just stick safe with mirror upgrades instead ($399 range). Judging from last release - I think Oculus wants to stick to the safe number range instead... but who knows.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I think we may be missing the point that it will be Lenovo that will be defining what the CV2 will be like and when it appears? I still think OculusVR has a major involvement in this process, it does feel like their Standalone investment is the focus of the remaining internal R&D team - and Oculus Texas.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

There's not much difference between the Rift S and the Index and Vive Pro in terms of resolution. In fact in some ways the Rift S is better because you can super sample a 1440p 80Hz display more than a 1600p 90/120/144Hz display and of course you have the added bonus of ASW 2.0 too.

As for why they and others haven't gone for 2K+ resolution displays it simply comes down to economics. Until foveated rendering is available we're not going to see headset manufacturers producing 2K+ resolution headsets because there's only a minority of people with PCs capable of running them.

There might not be a big difference between Rift S and Valve index, but I wouldn't know because I don't own either of them to test this out for myself. Maybe @Shadowmask72 could answer that if he has a Rift S or someone else who owns both headsets. What I do know is there is a big difference between the HP Reverb & Rift S, because the HP Reverb has nearly double the resolution of the Rift S, so there has to be a big difference. 

There's also plenty of people who own a Geforce 1080ti and I for one believe HP when they said there's a big demand for their headset due to it's resolution. And if there is a big demand for the HP Reverb, it also means people have computers capable of using the HP Reverb or why bother getting one.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

kevinw729 said:

I think we may be missing the point that it will be Lenovo that will be defining what the CV2 will be like and when it appears? I still think OculusVR has a major involvement in this process, it does feel like their Standalone investment is the focus of the remaining internal R&D team - and Oculus Texas.

Well I hope they have learnt a lesson with Rift S, which is not to release a headset to the consumer unless it's virtually bug free. We get a release date for these headsets and can't use them properly until all the major bugs are sorted out 3 months later. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

kevinw729 said:

Well I hope they have learnt a lesson with Rift S, which is not to release a headset to the consumer unless it's virtually bug free. We get a release date for these headsets and can't use them properly until all the major bugs are sorted out 3 months later. 

Bugs are bound to happen though on release. If you want maturity you will always be a generation behind by design. Rift S was a major change in tracking witch was one of the major reason why it was giving a 1.5 upgrade status. Even the Samsung, Intel, AMD, man I can go on with products that have bugs on release that cause the product to not work well for the first 3 months on release... It's how the company goes about fixing problems that shows if they are worth their salt. The fact that they did fix the issue and improve on the tracking bugs does go to show they are working hard on their products.

@kevinw729
Hmm... I feel like Oculus had its hands still on the Rift S even though it was design by Lenovo for over all build. By that I mean - they set the price and told Lenovo to build the best HMD they could at that price to scale for their supply chains. Really they did a good job at this when it comes to this... but Oculus really needs to scale that thought up and allow that higher price point to exist for PC-Owners... that is why I am wondering, even with Lenovo behind the vial, if they are going to just focus on the lower price point or allow that other ter to exist at all. 

Standalone has a large floor to scale in as well - so I am sure it's going to seem like that area is going to get more love than the other headsets. I mean most of the hardware benefits from others pushing/creating the roads already such as from cell phones and other mobile devices. It also has a larger cooling and power envelope than most devices will have also allowing it to scale larger than what we see too from the other platforms. What most people wont understand is just that it'll be easy to scale that side of the hardware much easier than a headset design around a computer that has unknown variables. Prediction wise - Quest 2 will have a 35% increase in raw graphical and cpu power when it releases at the same 399$ tag it release next year. Quest 3 will also be another 35% above that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

snowdog said:

Nope. I originally said 2019, three years after the CV1 was released. But then they released the Rift S, so I've said previously that 2022 would be the release date of the CV2. I've never said 2021 because that wouldn't make any sense because Oculus appear to be giving their headsets a three year lifespan.

You may be getting confused with my view on the Vive products, they released the Vive in 2016, the Vive Pro in 2018 and I HAD been expecting the Vive Cosmos to be released in 2020. We'll have to wait and see. They're supposed to be releasing the Vive Cosmos THIS year but things have been pretty quiet so far for a headset that's supposed to be releasing in a few months. I didn't think that HTC could afford to release three headsets in three years so there is method to my madness.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oculus certainly could have made a better headset, they just have chosen to go a different direction now.
I am very much enjoying my Rift S, but I doubt we will see any further technology advancements in PC-VR from them anytime soon. The higher tier will come from others I suspect.

At one time Oculus users were the majority in the flight sim and even racing sim forums. That has certainly changed now. They are all about Reverb ( a Win MR device at that) and Index, with eyes on upcoming Cosmos. I am one of the few remaining Oculus holdouts in the ones I frequent.

Richooal
Consultant

dburne said:

Oculus certainly could have made a better headset, they just have chosen to go a different direction now.
I am very much enjoying my Rift S, but I doubt we will see any further technology advancements in PC-VR from them anytime soon. The higher tier will come from others I suspect.

I agree.
Facebook targets the people with their faces buried in their mobile phone screens all day. The best we can hope for (PCVR) is a tech share with Lenovo, I think. ( the Oculovo DRift maybe)
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.