cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I'm no longer jealous of the index. And why the index really isn't 2nd gen.

inovator
Consultant
I was hoping that the index would be as good as the beginning hype because competition is good and it benefits vr. I wish the index blew away the rift s in every way because again competition helps vr advance. I wanted to use my rift s for a while and I wanted the index to be out long enough to form an opinion. Some will say but you didn't try the index. That's true but I'm so thorough in studying reviews that it has been very rare when i bought a product that hasn't worked as expected. I respect anyone's opinion that say otherwise. But when I read and see reviews of people that say things like well any game that has a great use of the analog stick the rift s controllers are much  better and tech numbers dictate for a higher resolution but those tech numbers go towards creating a wider fov so you see very little difference res wise between the index and rift s. And I'm very happy with the s tracking. I'm disappointed in how the index came out. I really don't feel it's a true 2nd gen. Headset.I would rather the index blown the rift away with the above to advance vr
 Maybe next time.
82 REPLIES 82

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Some people are very happy with their Valve indexes and I'm not sure what your point is tbh. Do you want people to argue why they purchased a Valve index and enjoy it or something? I'm glad you are no-longer jealous if that's the point you were making.
I myself am pleased for anyone who is happy with their purchase. I'm looking at the HTC Cosmos or HP Reverb and hope people will be happy for me if I enjoy it.

inovator
Consultant

RedRizla said:

Some people are very happy with their Valve indexes and I'm not sure what your point is tbh. Do you want people to argue why they purchased a Valve index and enjoy it or something?

Not at all. 1st off i said I respect anyone's opinion that is otherwise. This was a personal blog applying to me. I'm sure that a great many people are happy with their index purchase.  The point was I was jealous but happy a possible second gen was coming out but gave the reasons why for me it didn't hapoen and why I was no longer jealous.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

Some people are very happy with their Valve indexes and I'm not sure what your point is tbh. Do you want people to argue why they purchased a Valve index and enjoy it or something?
In all fairness, his point isn't very different than the point you were trying to make in the thread you started:

In your thread, you refer to Rift-S as having "downgrades," and in this thread, inovator is saying that he doesn't consider Index an "upgrade." Two sides of the same coin.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

inovator said:

Some will say but you didn't try the index. That's true but I'm so thorough in studying reviews that it has been very rare when i bought a product that hasn't worked as expected.

While the "try before you formulate an opinion" argument has some merit, it does get over-used as an auto-win button. I remember when the Vive Pro was all the rage and anyone who hadn't tried it apparently just didn't understand. But I had my suspicions that it wasn't the magical unicorn helmet that people across the Internet were selling it as.

And then I did try it... only to become highly disappointed with the over-hype. In some ways the visuals were a slight step up from the Rift CV1, but in other ways it was a step down. And after trying it, all the months of online debate felt silly. The Vive Pro was not a product that was going to stand the test of time, it was just the "flavor of the week."

And we can see the truth of that now, as Vive Pro praises are long gone. Those praises were replaced by the Pimax 8K which ended up becoming obsolete mighty fast! I mean gosh... the Pimax 8K was supposed to be the Killer HMD to destroy everyone: Microsoft WMR, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive. And now it is selling in droves on E-Bay for $600 or less!

When it comes to Valve Index, it seems to be a touchy subject on this Oculus Forum. I agree with everything you said, and I personally feel that the Index is just another "flavor of the week." Nearly every video review I've seen of the Index talks about both its pro's and con's, including the defective controllers. And nothing particularly stands out as "next gen" for the Index. But criticizing the Index is treated on par with unleashing Godzilla on nearby Tokyo.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I don't have a problem with any company releasing a new VR headset, the more the better for competition.

I've not yet bought the Valve Index but I am still keen to buy it at some point but I've put my purchase on hold for the moment.

I think some of their features are 2nd gen but not the entire headset. The refresh rate, optics, resolutions, fov and controllers all seem good to me. Not to mention their tracking which I'm guessing has to be hands down better then Rift S. I'm not sure if it's better then CV1 tracking through because CV1 was perfection for me but I'll wait until I try it myself to give an opinion.

I don't think anyone should be jealous. Jealousy is a bad thing in my opinion anyways. I've never been jealous of anyone that owns a better PC or better car then me etc. I don't think that's how people should live their lives. It serves no purpose!

Just enjoy what you've got and work hard to get what you want.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

inovator
Consultant

Zenbane said:

inovator said:

Some will say but you didn't try the index. That's true but I'm so thorough in studying reviews that it has been very rare when i bought a product that hasn't worked as expected.

While the "try before you formulate an opinion" argument has some merit, it does get over-used as an auto-win button. I remember when the Vive Pro was all the rage and anyone who hadn't tried it apparently just didn't understand. But I had my suspicions that it wasn't the magical unicorn helmet that people across the Internet were selling it as.

And then I did try it... only to become highly disappointed with the over-hype. In some ways the visuals were a slight step up from the Rift CV1, but in other ways it was a step down. And after trying it, all the months of online debate felt silly. The Vive Pro was not a product that was going to stand the test of time, it was just the "flavor of the week."

And we can see the truth of that now, as Vive Pro praises are long gone. Those praises were replaced by the Pimax 8K which ended up becoming obsolete mighty fast! I mean gosh... the Pimax 8K was supposed to be the Killer HMD to destroy everyone: Microsoft WMR, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive. And now it is selling in droves on E-Bay for $600 or less!

When it comes to Valve Index, it seems to be a touchy subject on this Oculus Forum. I agree with everything you said, and I personally feel that the Index is just another "flavor of the week." Nearly every video review I've seen of the Index talks about both its pro's and con's, including the defective controllers. And nothing particularly stands out as "next gen" for the Index. But criticizing the Index is treated on par with unleashing Godzilla on nearby Tokyo.

flavor of the week. I wish I thought of that!

Skscotchegg said:

I don't think anyone should be jealous. Jealousy is a bad thing in my opinion anyways. I've never been jealous of anyone that owns a better PC or better car then me etc. I don't think that's how people should live their lives. It serves no purpose!

Their are two kinds of jealousy 1st type you have disdain for  someone or something that someone has or something you can't have. And 2nd type is constructive jealousy. You are envious of something but hope things improve to help you obtain what your jealous about in the future. Example I was in real estate sales before I retired and I was jealous of the people that were successful. But it was constructive jealousy I didn't dislike successful people. I was young and said I'll work hard to be more like them. Some of them even advised me.that led to my success. Anyway I got a bot off point a bit. In this case I was jealous of the product until it turned out not to be what I thought and hoped it would be not of the people that were going to buy it.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

inovator said:

flavor of the week. I wish I thought of that!

Skscotchegg said:

Their are two kinds of jealousy 1st type you have disdain for  someone or something that someone has or something you can't have. And 2nd type is constructive jealousy. You are envious of something but hope things improve to help you obtain what your jealous about in the future. Example I was in real estate sales before I retired and I was jealous of the people that were successful. But it was constructive jealousy I didn't dislike successful people. I was young and said I'll work hard to be more like them. Some of them even advised me.that led to my success. Anyway I got a bot off point a bit. In this case I was jealous of the product until it turned out not to be what I thought and hoped it would be not of the people that were going to buy it.

I get what your saying mate.

Actually, I am jealous that some members on these forums already got to play Stormland! lol. I can't wait to get my hands on that game. 

And I also can't wait to go back to full room scale tracking with constellation and/or lighthouse.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

inovator
Consultant
Skscotchegg said:
Actually, I am jealous that some members on these forums already got to play Stormland! lol. I can't wait to get my hands on that game. 

Me too

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said:
But criticizing the Index is treated on par with unleashing Godzilla on nearby Tokyo. 

Pfft Godzilla is so last week Its Kaiju attacking Mt Fuji now.
Godzilla stays in America or Atlantis now.
WAAAGH!