cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge Facebook data leak exposes phone numbers of 419m users. Thx Facebook ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Phone numbers linked to the accounts of more than 419m Facebook users have been exposed in the tech giant’s latest data breach.

Databases relating to 133m US Facebook accounts, 50m accounts in Vietnam and 18m UK accounts were found on a server that was not secured by a password.

Having access to a person’s phone number could allow hackers to force-reset the password of any online account linked to the number."

Oh great! So our 2fa is now compromised as hackers can now clone our numbers and get access to our information including on file credit cards.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2019/09/05/facebook-security-snafu-exposes-419-million-user...

4 REPLIES 4

RattyUK
Trustee
And you are quoting Forbes as a reliable source too... :'(
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
@RattyUK I can quote other sources if you'd like me to. It's all over the Internet. I'm not giving false information as I make sure that my research is accurate and the truth.

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer
never provide any info online that you would want shared is a good rule to live by.....hackers can and could always clone your phone number without the facebook hack.  the capitol one hack now that is some serious stuff--even though not really a hack and just a disgruntled third party employee downloading a db and selling it on the net.

Richooal
Consultant
I've heard of this "facebook" thing. I was considering signing up and putting all my personal information there for everyone to see. I might not now.

On the other hand, if they've left 419,000,000 phone numbers exposed, what's the odds they'll find and use mine? I might still sign up now.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.