cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift Cables

Riotsu
Protege
Rift Cables should go back on the market somewhere, anywhere.
38 REPLIES 38

Riotsu
Protege
Even if you do consider the Rift S worth the purchase, it doesn't invalidate the point my post, but it does make the point of my post not your problem.

jayhawk
Superstar

Riotsu said:

Even if you do consider the Rift S worth the purchase, it doesn't invalidate the point my post, but it does make the point of my post not your problem.

You might want to indicate who you are replying to, and you can't invalidate an opinion.

Riotsu
Protege
My point is not an opinion, its business science. And I don't have to indicate who I'm replying to if it applies to multiple people, or if I don't want to.

ShocksVR
Superstar

Riotsu said:

Riotsu said:

It's not a misstatement, I still hear people's microphones sometimes sending monstrous noises instead of their voice in multiplayer VR games, they always say they're using the Rift S.  So yes, it still has issues, though I'm glad you don't have them.

And it'll get patched out.  The Rift S is steadily improving.

...and in four years from now, that HMD will no longer be sold and they'll stop selling the replacement cable for that too, and you'll have to buy their next HMD model.  We can hope they fix the Rift S issues before those four years are up.

You're right! 4 years from now I will own the next Rift model; hopefully Rift 2  with eye tracking !
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

inovator
Consultant

ShocksOculus said: kik

Riotsu said:

Riotsu said:

It's not a misstatement, I still hear people's microphones sometimes sending monstrous noises instead of their voice in multiplayer VR games, they always say they're using the Rift S.  So yes, it still has issues, though I'm glad you don't have them.

And it'll get patched out.  The Rift S is steadily improving.

...and in four years from now, that HMD will no longer be sold and they'll stop selling the replacement cable for that too, and you'll have to buy their next HMD model.  We can hope they fix the Rift S issues before those four years are up.

You're right! 4 years from now I will own the next Rift model; hopefully Rift 2  with eye tracking !

Like I said most rift users are no longer having problems. All through any hardware lifecycle there are always a few people that have problems.

How does a power outage damage a cable?

You said 'primarily caused', so what are the 'secondary causes'? are you sure something else isn't the primary cause, such as pulling or running your chair wheel over it? just curious.

Also, it's best not to base your views of Rift-S problems on other people's posts unless you take into account the number of people who own a Rift-S vs the number of people who have posted about a problems they have (as opposed to the number of people who post about other people's problems, this post being an example), together with the number of people who have posted about problems being solved with the updates and the number of people who don't bother posting because they don't have a problem.

Also, best not to make a judgement about whether the Rift-S is an upgrade unless you use one. Probably better to leave that judgement to those who've used both extensively. I value those opinions a lot, good and bad.

Lastly, best not to adopt other people's problem as if they're your own generally but post if you have a problem with a Rift-S yourself. Same thing applies to any piece of hardware really.

Just my opinion.

inovator
Consultant

How does a power outage damage a cable?

You said 'primarily caused', so what are the 'secondary causes'? are you sure something else isn't the primary cause, such as pulling or running your chair wheel over it? just curious.

Also, it's best not to base your views of Rift-S problems on other people's posts unless you take into account the number of people who own a Rift-S vs the number of people who have posted about a problems they have (as opposed to the number of people who post about other people's problems, this post being an example), together with the number of people who have posted about problems being solved with the updated and the number of people who don't bother posting because they don't have a problem.

Also, best not to make a judgement about whether the Rift-S is an upgrade unless you use one. Probably better to leave that judgement to those who've used both extensively. I value those opinions a lot, good and bad.

Lastly, best not to adopt other people's problem as if they're your own generally but post if you have a problem with a Rift-S yourself. Same thing applies to any piece of hardware really.

Just my opinion.

You made me dizzy.

inovator said:

You make me dizzy.

lol, sorry!

Having worked in the electrical engineering sector for 32 years, I've yet to see any cable damaged by an outage. Even a voltage spike doesn't damage cables... a large current surge yes. But even then, it wouldn't happen to a device that has your PC in-line, acting as a buffer... not without the PC exploding first!

Riotsu
Protege

inovator said:

You make me dizzy.

lol, sorry!

Having worked in the electrical engineering sector for 32 years, I've yet to see any cable damaged by an outage. Even a voltage spike doesn't damage cables... a large current surge yes. But even then, it wouldn't happen to a device that has your PC in-line, acting as a buffer... not without the PC exploding first!

I think you don't have enough details about what happened and you're jumping to obviously unrealistic conclusions.  This wasn't the primary point of my post so I didn't want to go into detail, but since some people on this forum want to pick apart and outline every little sentence that I wrote and argue, I'll explain further.

I've had 3 cables, the first one crapped out before my year was up so the replacement was covered under warranty.  The next two replacements that I've had after that failed in the same exact way.

The cables worked fine for months.  I'm athletic in fast paced VR combat with 360' tracking so my cords get twisted and bunched up over time.  That, and my right thumbstick refuses to work when turning so in some games I can't use my controller to turn, and have to rely on physically turning.  The point where the cord gets knotted and bundled up the most is right behind where the headset itself grips the cord. 
After the cord gets knotted up like that, when the power goes out and comes back on, I'll see bright red static streaming across the lenses when I put on the HMD.  If I pinch that knot, the red lines are gone and the vision is clear, except over time continual use with the damaged cord becomes harder to manage, to the point that pinching the cord no longer clears the image.  The red lines on all three cords, only appeared after a power outage.  Simply having the a knot in the cord's wiring wasn't enough to cause display issues

I really wish I were lying about having to replace my cords due to power outages, then I probably wouldn't have had to make this post to begin with.

inovator
Consultant

Riotsu said:

inovator said:

You make me dizzy.

lol, sorry!

I think you don't have enough details about what happened and you're jumping to obviously unrealistic conclusions.  This wasn't the primary point of my post so I didn't want to go into detail, but since some people on this forum want to pick apart and outline every little sentence that I wrote and argue, I'll explain further.

I've had 3 cables, the first one crapped out before my year was up so the replacement was covered under warranty.  The next two replacements that I've had after that failed in the same exact way.

The cables worked fine for months.  I'm athletic in fast paced VR combat with 360' tracking so my cords get twisted and bunched up over time.  That, and my right thumbstick refuses to work when turning so in some games I can't use my controller to turn, and have to rely on physically turning.  The point where the cord gets knotted and bundled up the most is right behind where the headset itself grips the cord. 
After the cord gets knotted up like that, when the power goes out and comes back on, I'll see bright red static streaming across the lenses when I put on the HMD.  If I pinch that knot, the red lines are gone and the vision is clear, except over time continual use with the damaged cord becomes harder to manage, to the point that pinching the cord no longer clears the image.  The red lines on all three cords, only appeared after a power outage.  Simply having the a knot in the cord's wiring wasn't enough to cause display issues

I really wish I were lying about having to replace my cords due to power outages, then I probably wouldn't have had to make this post to begin with.

It sounds like your more physical in vr than average which is fine of course but the average person does have that kind of wear and tear.