cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift Cables

Riotsu
Protege
Rift Cables should go back on the market somewhere, anywhere.
38 REPLIES 38

I didn't make any conclusions, I just asked the question. And I think you've answered it by saying the problem wasn't power outages in your area, which you said it was. It's more like the cord getting damaged from twisting and possibly shorting, causing blackouts at the screen. Not power outages in your area.

The remainder of my post was about how it's better not to make judgements about the Rift-S unless you've had experience of it. Again, that's not jumping to conclusions, that really just good practice. In fact making judgements without using the kit would be jumping to conclusions.

Riotsu
Protege

How does a power outage damage a cable?

You said 'primarily caused', so what are the 'secondary causes'? are you sure something else isn't the primary cause, such as pulling or running your chair wheel over it? just curious.

Also, it's best not to base your views of Rift-S problems on other people's posts unless you take into account the number of people who own a Rift-S vs the number of people who have posted about a problems they have (as opposed to the number of people who post about other people's problems, this post being an example), together with the number of people who have posted about problems being solved with the updates and the number of people who don't bother posting because they don't have a problem.

Also, best not to make a judgement about whether the Rift-S is an upgrade unless you use one. Probably better to leave that judgement to those who've used both extensively. I value those opinions a lot, good and bad.

Lastly, best not to adopt other people's problem as if they're your own generally but post if you have a problem with a Rift-S yourself. Same thing applies to any piece of hardware really.

Just my opinion.

You and every other commenter here have focused on only a little about I've said about the Rift S. 
"which isn't even an upgrade and is still full of problems" yes this is my opinion based off other reviews.  If you don't like it, I don't care.  That wasn't the point of my post.  How are we to learn anything if we don't read what other people report from their findings?  Why read if you don't want to know what other people went through, how are we to communicate if we can't repeat other people's experiences?  I find that learning other people's opinions or their findings of other people's opinions can give me a more realistic idea of a product's worth than professionally written reviews that are meant to sell the product, even if it does outline some deficiencies.  You value a different kind of information, fine, you don't get to tell me what to write.

If you're happy with your Rift S and you think it was worth the upgrade, good for you.  I don't care.  I wasn't speaking for you, I was only repeating what other Rift S owners have been reporting regularly, which is still a supportive detail for the point of my whole post.

Riotsu
Protege

I didn't make any conclusions, I just asked the question. And I think you've answered it by saying the problem wasn't power outages in your area, which you said it was. It's more like the cord getting damaged from twisting and possibly shorting, causing blackouts at the screen. Not power outages in your area.

The remainder of my post was about how it's better not to make judgements about the Rift-S unless you've had experience of it. Again, that's not jumping to conclusions, that really just good practice. In fact making judgements without using the kit would be jumping to conclusions.

oh my god, you just want to argue pointlessly and refuse to read what I'm writing.

"The red lines on all three cords, only appeared after a power outage. 
Simply having the a knot in the cord's wiring wasn't enough to cause
display issues".  So yes, the problem was from power outages in my area and it did not cause "blackouts at the screen," it was red lines streaming across the screens.

That's it, talking to you is like talking to a wall.  Its pointless.  This post wasn't for you anyway.

I focused on the 2 main parts of your posts. First the power outage in your area causing cable damage and the disadvantages of assessing negative views of hardware without considering the number of units sold or the positive views or the likelihood of people not posting if they have no problems.

I haven't expressed a view about the Rift-S here. As I've said, I value views from people who've used it whether they are positive or negative.

RattyUK
Trustee
If you get regular power outages it would make sense to invest in a UPS for your PC, at least then when the power goes off you will be able to shut the PC down gracefully, and save yourself a problem.
Why you want to blame a business for your own mistakes I really don't know.  I'm sure the cost of a UPS would have been considerably less than the expense of buying 3 replacement cables...
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
Evil, no, somewhat overly dramatic would you not agree, BUT!, i do understand your point about the cable, making it a proprietary cable in the first place then removing access to replacement cables just 3 plus years into the products life could come across as trying to force people to buy the next product up the line because they have no other option, a bit like Apple interfering with peoples products to quietly make them upgrade to a faster ones......i am on the fence at the moment over this, i just do not know what to make of it, i love my CV1 and my Go, but this is not a good situation at all.....if true.......would be great if they were just out of stock because if they appear again i will be grabbing one right away. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer
Oculus has always employed shady tactics  They employ and spend money on shills to proliferate and derail any thread on here or reddit with anyone that has an issue with either "I have a perfect experience" posts or trolls to outright attack and belittle people that have real issues and valid complaints.  There is even a post from a user on these forums with a user stating that was the very reason they gave up and returned their Rift S.

It can be found here:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/76183/oculus-rift-s-black-screen-on-msi-laptop-with...

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Riotsu said:

My point is not an opinion, its business science.

Complaining isn't business nor science. You have the right to complain, but lets just be clear in that... all you have done so far is complain. No business science has been presented.

Regarding your first post, you are very much jumping to conclusions and taking a few logical leaps. Case in point, many of us here have maintained our Rifts since launch (over 3 years) and never had to replace anything. My Rift and Touch controllers have taken a beating: Dropped, smashed, thrown, covered in sweat. And so far the only thing I've ever had to do was tighten the screw on the headphones. And I only had to do that once.

The problem you are describing is clearly the result of the power outages you experience. The answer is incredibly simple:

BUY AN UNINTERRUPTIBLE POWER SUPPLY
Here's a link to get you started:

This is not a case of scandalous business practices, this is a case of you living somewhere that has ongoing power outages and you never once deciding to resolve your issue with an easy UPS solution.

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer

Zenbane said:

Riotsu said:

My point is not an opinion, its business science.

Complaining isn't business nor science. You have the right to complain, but lets just be clear in that... all you have done so far is complain. No business science has been presented.

Regarding your first post, you are very much jumping to conclusions and taking a few logical leaps. Case in point, many of us here have maintained our Rift's since launch (over 3 years) and never had to replace anything. My Rift and Touch controllers have taken a beating: Dropped, smashed, thrown, covered in sweat. And so far the only thing I've ever had to do was tighten the screw on the headphones. And I only had to do that once.

The problem you are describing is clearly the result of the power outages you experience. The answer is incredibly simple:

BUY AN UNINTERRUPTIBLE POWER SUPPLY
Here's a link to get you started:

This is not a case of scandalous business practices, this is a case of you living somewhere that has ongoing power outages and you never once deciding to resolve your issue with an easy UPS solution.

I agree 100%.  I'm in an apartment where a power outage actually blew my psu on my pc.  I was fortunate and my landlord covered the cost of the replacement but I've added a power supply into the mix simply to protect it as I got off lucky that the psu was the only thing that gave out.

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer

The point where the cord gets knotted and bundled up the most is right behind where the headset itself grips the cord.  
After the cord gets knotted up like that, when the power goes out and comes back on, I'll see bright red static streaming across the lenses when I put on the HMD.  If I pinch that knot, the red lines are gone and the vision is clear, except over time continual use with the damaged cord becomes harder to manage, to the point that pinching the cord no longer clears the image.  The red lines on all three cords, only appeared after a power outage.  Simply having the a knot in the cord's wiring wasn't enough to cause display issues

I really wish I were lying about having to replace my cords due to power outages, then I probably wouldn't have had to make this post to begin with.

Sounds to me like you don't take enough care of your equipment.  I, like you, only play active VR games--I didn't purchase my Rift, Rift-S or Vive to sit on the couch with a controller in my hand.  That being said, I have never--EVER had a knot in any of my cables. 

However I take great care in my equipment.  I routinely untwist the cables when there is a break in gameplay and when I am done a session. 

Regardless of how active you are, there is no reason for your cables to get twisted to the point there are actualy knots in them.  That is death to any cable and the only cause is pure negligence on your part.