New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Replacement Rift cables.

Comments

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,771 Valuable Player
    I think there's a user called @ShowbizDonkey that help sometimes.
  • parsecnparsecn Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    falken76 said:
    Does Oculus even have an employee that moderates this forum anymore?

See this thread: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/79952/hdmi-cable-and-cannot-order-new-one 

kojack (volunteer mod) says, "The forum is a community support forum (in other words we are supporting each other). If you want Oculus staff to listen, the ticket system, feedback in the client and user voice are the official channels.
    There's still a couple of staff around, but we don't have people on here full time (well, beyond full time) like Cyber and Imperativity (dev boards)." 
    Hiro Protagonist
    I've contacted TPCast asking when or if they plan to restock the kit for CV1. 

Firstly, it took them two days to reply. Second, they replied, "The TPCAST for Rift is out of stock, but we still have a lot of TPCAST for Vive, you could buy it if you want, thank you" 

I replied that I'm not purchasing a VIVE and a TPCast, asking again, do you plan to ever restock TPCast for CV1 to which they replied, "No, we have no specific date"

So we may be screwed on the TPCast option.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,150 Valuable Player
    There is now a User Voice thingy here if you guys and girls want to give it a vote!

https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift-s-and-rift/suggestions/38506144

B) 
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,083 Valuable Player
    Hi

I just found this on another forum.  I think i will try to get a mate to print one out for me

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,689 Volunteer Moderator

parsecn said:
    I've contacted TPCast asking when or if they plan to restock the kit for CV1. 

Firstly, it took them two days to reply. Second, they replied, "The TPCAST for Rift is out of stock, but we still have a lot of TPCAST for Vive, you could buy it if you want, thank you" 

I replied that I'm not purchasing a VIVE and a TPCast, asking again, do you plan to ever restock TPCast for CV1 to which they replied, "No, we have no specific date"

So we may be screwed on the TPCast option.
    The TPCAST for the Rift might be out of stock, but they do have in stock the Oculus cable for $39.90.

From what I can tell, its basically a replacement Oculus cable, plus some power bits for the battery pack. I don't know if it will work stand alone, but it looks like it would.
    I would guess it's a lot shorter than the normal Rift cable, so stick some extensions on it.

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 594
    Neo
    edited September 5
    I have been checking online to see if you can buy a replacement cable or at least a second hand one, but not much luck, and i was hoping to wait until this time next year before i looked at replacing my Cv1, but now i am thinking it might actually be better to trade in the CV1 now towards something else, possibly a Vive........i just don't know as now i am too scared to use it just in case. lol
    Hiro Protagonist
    OmegaM4N said:
    I have been checking online to see if you can buy a replacement cable or at least a second hand one, but not much luck, and i was hoping to wait until this time next year before i looked at replacing my Cv1, but now i am thinking it might actually be better to trade in the CV1 now towards something else, possibly a Vive........i just don't know as now i am too scared to use it just in case. lol
    Please take a moment to vote https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift-s-and-rift/suggestions/38506144
    to send a message to Oculus to keep supporting CV1 (including cable replacement).

We are 10 votes away from making page 1 of top feedback https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift-s-and-rift/filters/top
  • jagjag Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi all,
    My oculus cable dead!!!
    And no replacement at all. 
    2years 2 months and no place to buy..... 
    To bad!!! 
    Neo
    parsecn said:
    OmegaM4N said:
    Please take a moment to vote https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift-s-and-rift/suggestions/38506144
    to send a message to Oculus to keep supporting CV1 (including cable replacement).

We are 10 votes away from making page 1 of top feedback https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift-s-and-rift/filters/top
    Done....fingers crossed. ;)
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,885 Valuable Player
    edited September 6
    parsecn said:
    OmegaM4N said:

I absolutely believe those get filed right into the trash when presented, they don't care.  I hope it sways them, but my guess is they'll just ignore us all because we're just noise to them.  They know they got you by the short and curleys because they currated their own ecco system.  Unless you buy games on steam, they got you trapped.   You'll either have to continue buying oculus products or use hacks to play the games you already paid for.  They did this under the guise of making it "easier" and more "convenient" to have everything in one place.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,279 Volunteer Moderator
    EU law states that parts and servicing should remain available for product sold in the EU for 7 year from the date of last manufacture. The UK is still in the EU (as I type this but who knows!) and as Oculus is required to have an office in the EU for EMC and other directive reasons, they are operating in the EU and have to comply with EU laws. My dog ate my cable the other weekend, most definitely not a warranty repair! Oculus are not allowed to wash there hands of us just because they no longer sell the product and we are not under the manufacturer's warranty. Remembering that Oculus are also part of Facebook, I am considering making a complaint to Trading Standards.

Can you confirm what legislation that is? There are laws in place that enables you to make a claim of goods being sold that are unfit for purpose for a period of 6 years after sale under the Sale of Good Act but that doesn't mention availability of spare parts.

There are EU laws regarding reparability relating to competition... for example companies can't penalise you by voiding a warranty if you have your equipment repaired by someone else (provided they're competent). But again doesn't state anything about availability of spare parts. I believe there are also laws requiring a manufacturer to make available details of parts to enable competitive manufacture of spare parts but I don't think that applies to electronics as there'd be issues over a companies IP... I think it may apply to white goods and motor vehicles for example.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
    Neo
    edited September 8
    ^^^The whole cable thing is a baffling stance by Oculus, i mean it's a cable, not like it is made of gold and encrusted with diamonds and rare gems. lol
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,813 Valuable Player
    OmegaM4N said:
    ^^^The whole cable thing is a baffling stance by Oculus, i mean it's a cable, not like it is made of gold and encrusted with diamonds and rare gems. lol

I do not think its baffling when in context of the position of the company now post recent executive departures.

There is really no interest in supporting the older tech that dose not progress their perceived narrative for the future of their vision for VR.

To placate the PC community, the Lenovo deal has been put in place - deploying hardware that avoids many of the issues of the original CV1.

This controversy being aired on the other (open) forums, is an incredibly bad look for the company so close to OC6 - so I expect we will not get an official response until after - but it is clear that there is no longer real company interaction with this aspect of the community after Cybers departure.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Neo
    edited September 9
    ^^Just out of curiosity is the Rift S cable another type of proprierty connection for the Rift-S, meaning in theory they could again in a few years drop the cables for the S and that hardware would be in the same situation as the CV1 is in now?
    Hiro Protagonist
    OmegaM4N said:
    ^^Just out of curiosity is the Rift S cable another type of proprierty connection for the Rift-S, meaning in theory they could again in a few years drop the cables for the S and that hardware would be in the same situation as the CV1 is in now?
    Yes. Exactly.
    Hopefully the fact that Oculus is one of the supporters of Virtual Link means that future headsets will use a standard USB-C cable.
  • Redlightning7777Redlightning7777 Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    OmegaM4N said:
    It *IS* covered in GOLD for them..   forces people to buy new units, when the cable inevitably breaks.

Especially when people buy from the Oculus store, as you need an Oculus headset to use the games.  which I think I'm really going to sway away from ..  no wonder they broke the controllers in steamVR..  

Pure Gold to them.

Neo
    ^^Well i have thankfully solved my CV1 cable and earphone fault worries completly, so i no longer need to worry about my CV1 turning into £400 paper weight and me losing a external tracking VR room setup.............as i just grabbed a Vive bundle new for £399 on sale, only 4 were avalible, all gone in like 10 mins. :)

Now i got my VR room setup saftey blanket back, feels nice. :)
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,020 Volunteer Moderator
    Vive is being discontinued with the release of Cosmos. I hope they do better with maintaining stock of their proprietary cable, so you don’t find yourself in the same situation. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,503
    Project 2501
    edited September 19
    nalex66 said:
    Vive is being discontinued with the release of Cosmos. I hope they do better with maintaining stock of their proprietary cable, so you don’t find yourself in the same situation. 

Nope, OG Vive cable is already discontinued and very hard to find.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

TomCgcmfc said:
    nalex66 said:

Hiro Protagonist
    TomCgcmfc said:
    nalex66 said:

TPCast is, however, still available for VIVE and at a sale price of only $149. https://www.tpcastvr.com/store/TPCAST-Wireless-Adapter-for-VIVE-p93101456  I'd hop on one quick as insurance against cable damage.
    Neo
    edited September 19
    nalex66 said:
    2 year warrenty here in the UK even though they just discontinned it, so nothing to worry about, BUT, third party 3 in 1 cables can also be had as they are not locked behind one store. :)

I can now trade in my WMR Dell VR visor now that i have a  better HMD for steamVR as our local CEX are offering almost getting £100 for that, so that bring the Vive down to £300, could not miss on that price......so i am now covered easily for the next 2 years so that give VR time to impress me again in 24 months time.  :smiley:
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,885 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    Unless it's an exclusive that I just must have, I will not be buying anymore software at all from the Oculus Store.  They can eat a dick.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,850 Valuable Player
    edited September 20
    Not really sure why folks are so upset about the cable that they go ahead and purchase a different device. All on the premise that their cable might go bad. I ordered an extra cable for my CV1 a long time ago, and never had a need for it. Course I do have the Rift S now. However if I still only had CV1, I would just keep it and if the cable ever did fail, then yes at that time I would go with something else, maybe even Rift S. But if I was not ready to upgrade it yet, I would certainly use it as long as it worked. It might not ever fail before upgrading to a better headset.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Neo
    parsecn said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    nalex66 said:

TPCast is, however, still available for VIVE and at a sale price of only $149. https://www.tpcastvr.com/store/TPCAST-Wireless-Adapter-for-VIVE-p93101456  I'd hop on one quick as insurance against cable damage.
    That is a very good price for that, they will be snapped up at that price.
    Hiro Protagonist
    OmegaM4N said:
    That is a very good price for that, they will be snapped up at that price.

Agreed. The TPCast for CV1 was also $149 before they sold out (it was available for two, maybe three weeks at that price). I would've grabbed one in a second, had I know Oculus would (let us down and) discontinue support for CV1 accessories. A date based, CV1 end-of-line heads-up from Oculus would've been helpful, and made good business practice supporting both the consumer and their brand.

dburne said:
    Not really sure why folks are so upset about the cable that they go ahead and purchase a different device. All on the premise that their cable might go bad. 

I don't think it's so much that people are racing out and buying a competitor headset under the premise that their cable "might go bad" meaning they still have a fully functioning CV1 (with working cable). I haven't read a single post on these forums, Reddit etc. where anyone has moved on because they're upset AND they still have a functional CV1. 

The idea is more that: 
    1. We, CV1 users, expected more life-span out of our purchase. A survey of 250 Oculus users seems to suggest that most Rift owners expect to get approximately 4-5 years from their headset reference: https://imgur.com/8n0R2ik  The CV1 was last sold by Oculus in March 2019 with accessories not being available from August 2019. Hardly acceptable. 
    2. We won't buy a Rift-S (or any other Oculus HMD) under the simple idea that Oculus will more than likely do the same and discontinue accessories or support (completely unannounced) just as they have with the CV1. There is no consumer assurance this won't happen again and, as a consumer, we can only set "our beliefs" or likelihood of it happening based on this experience. Imagine moving on to Rift-S in six months only to learn Rift-S2 is being released and sorry folks, Rift-S users need to upgrade to S2 (if you encounter issues) as this will be your only option if you choose to stay with Oculus.
    I am moving to Index in January of next year, however, I want to continue to utilise the CV1 and native Oculus ecosystem to support a project which is currently in development or rather, to continue to support Oculus users by owning a working Oculus headset. CV1 perfectly meets my needs for this.