cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement Rift cables.

AngryKFP
Protege
So it appears that you can no longer buy replacement rift cables, can we get some official feedback as to whether this is a temporary issue or has Oculus ceased production of them? 
110 REPLIES 110

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

parsecn said:

OmegaM4N said:

I have been checking online to see if you can buy a replacement cable or at least a second hand one, but not much luck, and i was hoping to wait until this time next year before i looked at replacing my Cv1, but now i am thinking it might actually be better to trade in the CV1 now towards something else, possibly a Vive........i just don't know as now i am too scared to use it just in case. lol

Please take a moment to vote https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift-s-and-rift/suggestions/38506144
to send a message to Oculus to keep supporting CV1 (including cable replacement).

We are 10 votes away from making page 1 of top feedback https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift-s-and-rift/filters/top

Done....fingers crossed. 😉
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

falken76
Expert Consultant

parsecn said:

OmegaM4N said:

I have been checking online to see if you can buy a replacement cable or at least a second hand one, but not much luck, and i was hoping to wait until this time next year before i looked at replacing my Cv1, but now i am thinking it might actually be better to trade in the CV1 now towards something else, possibly a Vive........i just don't know as now i am too scared to use it just in case. lol

Please take a moment to vote https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift-s-and-rift/suggestions/38506144
to send a message to Oculus to keep supporting CV1 (including cable replacement).

We are 10 votes away from making page 1 of top feedback https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift-s-and-rift/filters/top

I absolutely believe those get filed right into the trash when presented, they don't care.  I hope it sways them, but my guess is they'll just ignore us all because we're just noise to them.  They know they got you by the short and curleys because they currated their own ecco system.  Unless you buy games on steam, they got you trapped.   You'll either have to continue buying oculus products or use hacks to play the games you already paid for.  They did this under the guise of making it "easier" and more "convenient" to have everything in one place.

MotoBarsteward
Honored Guest
EU law states that parts and servicing should remain available for product sold in the EU for 7 year from the date of last manufacture. The UK is still in the EU (as I type this but who knows!) and as Oculus is required to have an office in the EU for EMC and other directive reasons, they are operating in the EU and have to comply with EU laws. My dog ate my cable the other weekend, most definitely not a warranty repair! Oculus are not allowed to wash there hands of us just because they no longer sell the product and we are not under the manufacturer's warranty. Remembering that Oculus are also part of Facebook, I am considering making a complaint to Trading Standards.

EU law states that parts and servicing should remain available for product sold in the EU for 7 year from the date of last manufacture. The UK is still in the EU (as I type this but who knows!) and as Oculus is required to have an office in the EU for EMC and other directive reasons, they are operating in the EU and have to comply with EU laws. My dog ate my cable the other weekend, most definitely not a warranty repair! Oculus are not allowed to wash there hands of us just because they no longer sell the product and we are not under the manufacturer's warranty. Remembering that Oculus are also part of Facebook, I am considering making a complaint to Trading Standards.

Can you confirm what legislation that is? There are laws in place that enables you to make a claim of goods being sold that are unfit for purpose for a period of 6 years after sale under the Sale of Good Act but that doesn't mention availability of spare parts.

There are EU laws regarding reparability relating to competition... for example companies can't penalise you by voiding a warranty if you have your equipment repaired by someone else (provided they're competent). But again doesn't state anything about availability of spare parts. I believe there are also laws requiring a manufacturer to make available details of parts to enable competitive manufacture of spare parts but I don't think that applies to electronics as there'd be issues over a companies IP... I think it may apply to white goods and motor vehicles for example.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^^The whole cable thing is a baffling stance by Oculus, i mean it's a cable, not like it is made of gold and encrusted with diamonds and rare gems. lol

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

OmegaM4N said:

^^^The whole cable thing is a baffling stance by Oculus, i mean it's a cable, not like it is made of gold and encrusted with diamonds and rare gems. lol

I do not think its baffling when in context of the position of the company now post recent executive departures.

There is really no interest in supporting the older tech that dose not progress their perceived narrative for the future of their vision for VR.

To placate the PC community, the Lenovo deal has been put in place - deploying hardware that avoids many of the issues of the original CV1.

This controversy being aired on the other (open) forums, is an incredibly bad look for the company so close to OC6 - so I expect we will not get an official response until after - but it is clear that there is no longer real company interaction with this aspect of the community after Cybers departure.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^Just out of curiosity is the Rift S cable another type of proprierty connection for the Rift-S, meaning in theory they could again in a few years drop the cables for the S and that hardware would be in the same situation as the CV1 is in now?

parsecn
Heroic Explorer

OmegaM4N said:

^^Just out of curiosity is the Rift S cable another type of proprierty connection for the Rift-S, meaning in theory they could again in a few years drop the cables for the S and that hardware would be in the same situation as the CV1 is in now?

Yes. Exactly.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Hopefully the fact that Oculus is one of the supporters of Virtual Link means that future headsets will use a standard USB-C cable.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Redlightning777
Protege

OmegaM4N said:

It *IS* covered in GOLD for them..   forces people to buy new units, when the cable inevitably breaks.

Especially when people buy from the Oculus store, as you need an Oculus headset to use the games.  which I think I'm really going to sway away from ..  no wonder they broke the controllers in steamVR..  

Pure Gold to them.