New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,049 Volunteer Moderator
    Hi
    did another few hrs tonight and - soory if noob question;... but i read on flat screen mode when mining eg for copper the mouse scroll wheel reduces the size of your mining pointer which means you get a lot more stuff from a deposit.
    however i cant find a way to do this in vr. just getting enough for my hyperdrive i had to exhaust the 2 local deposits to my base.
    can anyone advise please?

thanks.
    PS i traded my multitool for one with some better stats only to find out it did not have a terrain manipualtor on it... so i just went back to previuous save.
    The left/right grip buttons adjust the size, but it only works when a menu is open. Bring up the Quick Menu on your left hand, then give the left grip a couple squeezes to drop to the smallest size. Close the menu and you’re good to go. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    edited September 7
    I did the rounds of all my stations today and picked out an A-class rifle with 24 slots. It cost me almost 3 million units, plus several hundred nanites to rebuy several upgrades. 

It’s weird, some vendors sell upgrade blueprints, so I was able to rebuild those, while others sell the upgrades themselves, which are lost when you get a new tool. One thing before you upgrade your multi-tool—make sure you disassemble all your upgrades first to get some of the components (like wire looms) back. It doesn’t diminish the trade-in value, and it’ll help you get back up to spec with the new tool. 

Now I just need to figure out how to get the other weapon types. The new tool came with a Blaze Javelin and a Geology Cannon, so I’ve got some new toys to play with, but I’d love to get a Scatter Blaster or Pulse Splitter. 

Unfortunately, I’m having the same problem now with three secondary weapons that I first had with the scope; it doesn’t reliably cycle through them like the primary weapon. Instead, it seems to switch randomly, which isn’t much good in the heat of battle. I guess I’ll have to compare the Plasma Launcher and Geology Cannon and choose one (or dump the Personal Forcefield). 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • Rob_In_PhoenixRob_In_Phoenix Posts: 344
    Trinity
    nalex66 said:
    One thing before you upgrade your multi-tool—make sure you disassemble all your upgrades first to get some of the components like wire looms back. It doesn’t diminish the trade-in value, and it’ll help you get back up to spec with the new tool.
    Hmm, good to know.  I'm in the market for a new multi-tool, but not sure yet what's good to look for.  I saw one at a planetary trading post for about 1.8 million.  Almost bought it but I figure I'll look around a bit more to see what's available.
    I think the main thing is the number of slots. The class affects the bonuses you get from upgrades, so that’s the other thing to look at. Don’t worry too much if the Damage Potential number is lower than your old tool, it reflects the upgrades installed, so it’ll go up when you get your modules installed. 
    edited September 7
    Well, add Blaze Javelin to the list of things that don't work in VR. It just doesn't fire, period. Googled and saw that this is confirmed--it works with the mouse button, but not the controller trigger. I'm also getting screwed up secondary weapon selection even with only two installed (plasma launcher and geology cannon--I dismantled the forcefield). I think it worked okay when I just had the forcefield and plasma launcher, but I'll have to go back to an old save to check, since I can't uninstall either grenade option.
    Edit: I fixed my weapon switching problem by editing the SteamInput bindings for the game (Settings/Controllers in SteamVR Home menu). I mapped X to switch the primary weapon and Left Grip to switch the secondary weapon in the On Foot section. It works well now, and is a lot easier than fumbling with the back-of-hand menu in battle. Those buttons don't do much else, except activation your analysis visor will switch the secondary weapon.

I'm considering going back to my manual save from yesterday and buying a different multi-tool now, since this one came with a broken weapon pre-installed, and I went and bought an S-class upgrade for it before realizing it was useless. I hope Hello Games will get some of these borked VR functions fixed soon.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 982
    3Jane
    The Plasma Launcher is very good against the Sentinal 'dog' and walker - particularly when you have a few upgrades installed, and is fun to watch it bouncing toward the target :)

If you meet up with an Alien Multitool with a lot of slots go bankrupt buying it, apparently they make S class look like C class...   Not been fortunate enough to find even a small one in my travels yet, but have seen screenies of them, they look nasty...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    nalex66 said:
    Well, add Blaze Javelin to the list of things that don't work in VR. It just doesn't fire, period. Googled and saw that this is confirmed--it works with the mouse button, but not the controller trigger. I'm also getting screwed up secondary weapon selection even with only two installed (plasma launcher and geology cannon--I dismantled the forcefield). I think it worked okay when I just had the forcefield and plasma launcher, but I'll have to go back to an old save to check, since I can't uninstall either grenade option.
    Edit: I fixed my weapon switching problem by editing the SteamInput bindings for the game (Settings/Controllers in SteamVR Home menu). I mapped X to switch the primary weapon and Left Grip to switch the secondary weapon in the On Foot section. It works well now, and is a lot easier than fumbling with the back-of-hand menu in battle. Those buttons don't do much else, except activation your analysis visor will switch the secondary weapon.

I'm considering going back to my manual save from yesterday and buying a different multi-tool now, since this one came with a broken weapon pre-installed, and I went and bought an S-class upgrade for it before realizing it was useless. I hope Hello Games will get some of these borked VR functions fixed soon.

You can purchase weapons types (javelin, scatter etc) etc from the Nexus/Annomaly research/upgrade stations, the same thing for ships, bases, exocraft and exosuits 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    edited September 8
    nalex66 said:

You can purchase weapons types (javelin, scatter etc) etc from the Nexus/Annomaly research/upgrade stations, the same thing for ships, bases, exocraft and exosuits 
    Awesome, I’ll have a look next time I’m in-game. I’ve read that they can show up at vendors, but haven’t seen any yet (lots of upgrade modules for them, but not the base weapons). 

I spent hours last night looking for another multi-tool, but couldn’t find anything equivalent, so I’m back to the A-24. I dismantled the blaze javelin rather than having to cycle past a useless weapon.

Edit: confirmed, I bought a pulse splitter and scatter blaster at the anomaly, and both work as they should. 
    Trinity
    Have had a few sessions lately and right now I'm using nav data to find locations of interest.  I find that it's good to carry around a variety of material resources with you (ferrite dust, sodium, carbon, chromatic metal) as I always see damaged machinery next to ruins, buildings, etc and you need this stuff to open them.
    What I'm really after are upgrades to my analysis visor.  I'm pondering the use flora and fauna identification as a possible income method in addition to cobalt mining, buried tech, etc.  Upgrade modules for this are going to be hard to come by.  I don't think you can purchase them either.  My only thought is to find them at points of interest.
    Has anyone pimped out their analysis visor to make flora/fauna ident a plausible income method?
    edited September 8
    I’ve got an S and an A upgrade that both improve the visor, both bought at space station vendors. They show up in the store as Scanner upgrades, but once installed the description mentions the analysis visor.

I’ve seen people mention getting rich from scan data, but I’m not sure how that works, since you get nanites rather than credits from uploaded data. 
    Trinity
    Guys, I have a question.  Let's say I come across some location I want to return to later.  How do I mark it so that I can find my way back to it later?  For example, a trading post, building, crashed ship, etc.
    Trinity
    nalex66 said:
    I’ve got an S and an A upgrade that both improve the visor, both bought at space station vendors. They show up in the store as Scanner upgrades, but once installed the description mentions the analysis visor.

I’ve seen people mention getting rich from scan data, but I’m not sure how that works, since you get nanites rather than credits from uploaded data. 
    Thanks Nalex.  You definitely do get the nanites from the data upload.  But you also get money (units) when you scan and hold the right trigger on an unidentified flora or fauna entity.  I remember when I first arrived at my current base plant I would just run around scanning stuff and 'identifying' them.  It was just a few hundred units or so each.  Then later I heard you could upload info for nanites.
    But when you get on a new planet where everything is new I could see how you could make a major bankroll in a short time by just identifying things.  However, this requires major visor upgrades and I think that's the real hurdle.
    I know there are ways to exploit the economic system by running wiring looms and various resources back and forth between systems to take advantage of the market - like selling a ton of something then buying it right back at the same location a much lower price.  Then move to another system and repeat.  I don't really want to do it this way.
    edited September 8
    Yeah, I’ve seen that guide about crashing markets, buying back the stock for cheap, and moving on to the next system. I’m not really interested in gaming the system to get everything quickly—I’d rather get there a little more organically. 

I’ll have to look more closely at what I’m getting when I scan. You can only have four upgrades per technology; if you add one more, they all stop working and you have to uninstall one. I’ve got an S and an A, plus a lower grade one, so once I replace that with a better one and get one more, I’m not sure how else I can improve my scan reward. 

Guys, I have a question.  Let's say I come across some location I want to return to later.  How do I mark it so that I can find my way back to it later?  For example, a trading post, building, crashed ship, etc.
    If you drop a save beacon there, it gives you a star icon that should remain visible. When I wanted to mark my first crashed ship I dropped a base computer, but I kind of regret it now because I don’t think you can get rid of a base and I have no need to go back there. 
    Trinity
    nalex66 said:
    Rob_In_Phoenix said:
    If you drop a save beacon there, it gives you a star icon that should remain visible. When I wanted to mark my first crashed ship I dropped a base computer, but I kind of regret it now because I don’t think you can get rid of a base and I have no need to go back there. 
    Ahh yes, I just got the blueprint for one of these last night on my construction computer.  That should be perfect as a marker.  I'd really like to find a crashed ship and rebuild it.  Even if it's not very lucrative I think it would be a good project to learn about ship components.  I'll have to experiment with this to find out if multiple markers can be used.
    You can find crashed ships with "distress signal" planetary charts, but I got mine fairly early on following the main quest (at one of the Artemis distress beacons). I'm pretty sure that's scripted to always lead you to a ship, although the ship itself is random, I think. I'm still flying her--she's a C-class, but 23/3 slots is not too bad. Reckless Victory MJ7:

I found another crashed ship last night (a cool looking B-class Explorer, but I think it only had 17 slots). I claimed it and then left, but I think it should show up on my freighter next time I'm there.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,089 Valuable Player
    Hi. Are all the crashed ships salvagable ? I have found an absolutely massive ship but it is in pieces. It doesn't "feel" like it is repairable and TBH the ship is so big it looks a bit endgame not 5 hrs in still on 1st ship

But just incase I have a rare barnfind on my hands I am checking . Taaa
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Thanks Nalex.  You definitely do get the nanites from the data upload.  But you also get money (units) when you scan and hold the right trigger on an unidentified flora or fauna entity.  I remember when I first arrived at my current base plant I would just run around scanning stuff and 'identifying' them.  It was just a few hundred units or so each.
    Okay, so I checked, and I’m getting about 35,000 units per plant scanned. My S-class upgrade increases the value of both flora and fauna, and my A-class does just flora. I’ve since added another A-class for fauna. Each upgrade increases the scan value by 5000 to 8000%, and also increase the scan radius. 
    edited September 8
    Hi. Are all the crashed ships salvagable ? I have found an absolutely massive ship but it is in pieces. It doesn't "feel" like it is repairable and TBH the ship is so big it looks a bit endgame not 5 hrs in still on 1st ship

You should be able to do a pull interaction with crashed ships to see their inventory screen, and then there should be a button at the bottom to claim the ship. It sounds like you might have found a crashed freighter—I don’t think you can claim those. 

For regular ships, don’t swap your ship for it, you can own multiples. You can use the summon ship option in the Quick Menu to change which is your current active ship. 
    Sounds about right thanks for the info. 
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    3Jane

Sounds like a  crashed Freighter - It will have salvagable cargo, ususally hidden behind damaged doors and often buried also.  If there was a small section with steps up to a ball-like thing you will be able to get some of the background story too from it.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Trinity

If it's massive then it's definitely a freighter and you can't repair it to make it fly again.  But you can loot the storage containers.  I have a crashed freighter right next to my base camp and I haven't really gone through it yet.  It's on my list of things to do (which seems to get longer every time I play).
    Huh, I never looted anything from the crashed freighter early in the main quest... I guess I wouldn’t be able to find my way back to it at this point. I wish this game allowed multiple manual saves so I could go back and check stuff like that more easily. 
    3Jane
    nalex66 said:
    Huh, I never looted anything from the crashed freighter early in the main quest... I guess I wouldn’t be able to find my way back to it at this point. I wish this game allowed multiple manual saves so I could go back and check stuff like that more easily. 
    If you found the Freighter on your current planet it should be reasonably easy to find again from space (reasonably!) or if a previous planet by doing the same.  There does seem to be good chances to find a crash site often during your travels.  The storage containers on them always need 'repair' and the buried ones, reached using Terrain Manipulator, often give better goodies.

nalex66 said:
    So i found this ship exploring before i got the quest to go to it.... i have now got the quest and "found" it again.... my base is a good few miles from it so i need to fly to it from my base. i found some bits and bobs around it but a lot of it need an atlas key to open which i do not have yet.
    I lvoe this game but just not got the time to dedicate to it yet.  booked a day off on the 17th of  this month to hopefully sink some hrs into it.
    bigmike20vt said:. 
    I lvoe this game but just not got the time to dedicate to it yet.  booked a day off on the 17th of  this month to hopefully sink some hrs into it.
    It is definitely a time sink. I just checked my Steam profile—I’ve put 50 hours into this game in less than three weeks (I didn’t start until about a week after release).
    Trinity
    RedRizla said:
    Holy shit, I just got the HP Reverb and No Mans Sky looks like playing it on a 2D monitor but in VR. I set my Steam VR to 180% SS and it looks like a dream come true. I haven't even bumped the graphics up yet from enhanced and I'm still absolutely blown away with the HP Reverb. Seriously, this is what Resolution VR needs to be at, if it stayed at the HP Reverbs resolution for years to come I'd be happy.
    I have a GTX1060 and I'm running the game with some of the settings raised.  Granted I'm reprojecting constantly, but it still looks great and with minimal artifacts.  And since I'm essentially always running 45 fps, I may as well just raise some of the graphics settings - and I've done this a few times.  So far, no issues.  I have all my settings at enhanced and some higher than this.  SS is of course at 1.
    I'm not running any AA at all.  I tried FXAA a bit and it didn't make things look better for me.
    On a pc with a killer graphics card and high res head set, it must look amazing.  But with what I have, I'm very happy with performance and look of the game.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,779 Valuable Player
    edited September 9
    RedRizla said:
    Holy shit, I just got the HP Reverb and No Mans Sky looks like playing it on a 2D monitor but in VR. I set my Steam VR to 180% SS and it looks like a dream come true. I haven't even bumped the graphics up yet from enhanced and I'm still absolutely blown away with the HP Reverb. Seriously, this is what Resolution VR needs to be at, if it stayed at the HP Reverbs resolution for years to come I'd be happy.
    I have a GTX1060 and I'm running the game with some of the settings raised.  Granted I'm reprojecting constantly, but it still looks great and with minimal artifacts.  And since I'm essentially always running 45 fps, I may as well just raise some of the graphics settings - and I've done this a few times.  So far, no issues.  I have all my settings at enhanced and some higher than this.  SS is of course at 1.
    I'm not running any AA at all.  I tried FXAA a bit and it didn't make things look better for me.
    On a pc with a killer graphics card and high res head set, it must look amazing.  But with what I have, I'm very happy with performance and look of the game.
    Yes, believe me, it's like night and day difference with the HP Reverb resolution.
  • msm903msm903 Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    RedRizla said:
    What Framerate are you getting?  On my index I can't maintain more than 40 (120hz)or maybe 45 (90hz)fps depending on the resolution I selected.  I would think a 2080ti would be helpful. My Rift S sits with ASW on most of the time at 40 fps.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,779 Valuable Player
    edited September 9
    msm903 said:
    RedRizla said:
    What Framerate are you getting?  On my index I can't maintain more than 40 (120hz)or maybe 45 (90hz)fps depending on the resolution I selected.  I would think a 2080ti would be helpful. My Rift S sits with ASW on most of the time at 40 fps.

I'll have to check and get back to you when I'm next on the computer. Everything appeared to be running smooth even if it was using reprojection. I'll check the actual fps though when I get chance.
    I must say the cable on the HP Reverb is a bit of a pain though. It's no problem for seated games like this one and Elite Dangerous etc. But with the cable being stiff it's not good for standing up and playing. I'm going to see what it's like with a belt clip though just to take some weight off the cable when standing.