Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Growing Vote for Rift-S Enhancement!

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I am interested on how many are following this on Oculus UserVoice:

au0uwl2bebyp.png

Surprised this has not been discussed on this part of the forum before - fascinating to read some of the comments and suggestions being reached on UserVoice - lets hope that the company is listening to this passionate aspect of their customer base.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
25 REPLIES 25

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Cosmos does look good.... and if there is a solid version of ReVive for it i may consider one.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Cosmos does look good.... and if there is a solid version of ReVive for it i may consider one.

I really wonder why HTC are playing so coy with the information about this, especially with the rumored September announcement / release, if they are looking at this as a spoiler against OC6?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

falken76
Expert Consultant

RedRizla said:

@kevinw729 - Not sure where you were hiding at the time, but it's one of the first things people talked about after they received their Rift S. I'm not particularly bothered about inside out tracking if it is good enough, but I would like to see an Oculus Quest that is both mobile and can also be hooked up to a Pc. That would do away withing having to spend money on two VR headsets and make it easier for Oculus to cater for PC -VR while also going the mobile VR route.

I think it's very apparent that they will abandon the PCVR before too long.  Carmacks plan doesn't even include PCVR, it's all about mobile.  I'm glad I buy all my software on Steam, but this still stinks.  None of the competitors have controllers that are worth a shit in comparison to the touch controllers. 

People are still complaining about Rift S tracking, or that post wouldn't be on Oculus Uservoice.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I'm pretty sure that Oculus is unlikely to ever abandon PCVR.  I would guess that their next logical step will be to develop a Quest 2 with stronger mobile processors together with the ability to also run in PCVR mode with a Rift S cable (or maybe even wireless?).
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah now that Oculus has really improved the tracking for the Rift S, I see no need (at least for how I use it) to use the external sensors again. I like the simplicity of the setup without them.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:

I must have been travelling @RedRizla

I did hear about all the issues, the flashing screens, the lack of IPD, the original tracking issues (that were fixed) and the audio. Its just that the level of comments on the UsersVoice was a surprise I had not seen mentioned here.

I also have to say how surprised I was by how quickly the discontinuance of the cable turned into "CableGate" on the forums. Lets see if OC6 can placate the revolting masses! 

This UserVoice proposal is from May 22, when the tracking was a legitimate issue. It was discussed at great length here on the forum at that time as well. Since then, the tracking has been greatly improved, to the point that needing external cameras to supplement it is a non-issue.

I recall that someone asked Carmack on Twitter whether Constellation support was going to happen, and his reply was that he would much rather put the effort into improving Insight tracking. That makes sense given their desire to replace Constellation with Insight going forward (and the fact that the tech is shared across two of their product categories), and they seem to have accomplished the necessary improvements to justify their stance.

Incidentally, "CableGate" is now high on the request list (305 votes), for good reason. When Rift S released, they assured CV1 owners that their hardware would continue to be supported. I think the comment was made specifically regarding old Touch controllers, but it's not unreasonable to expect spare parts and accessories to continue to be available on the store for a few years.
OculusVR are clearly focused on Standalone, though still supporting PC
though a partnership with Lenovo that allows a second party to to the
heavy lifting in support (a factor why the cable issue is being closed
down along with the discontinuing of CV1
).
This sounds like baseless speculation, unless you have some inside information to share. Maintaining a supply of spare parts for the old version is a separate issue from building the new model with a new manufacturing partner. From what I've read, the cable unavailability is a component shortage problem (discontinued proprietary connector), but we'll see what happens over the next while.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
As always thanks for the clarifications and observations @nalex66 .

I agree that the first part of the UsersVoics seemed to be pre-tracking update - as I mentioned above, the great job Carmack did on that.  But then you notice a lot of movement after August as if there is still some interest.

But you are right the main ire is surrounding "CableGate" - and that 305 numbers is going to rise. You hit the nail on the head regarding the promise to support the CV1 even after the discontinuation - so this issue seems to backfire even harder. 

Its hard to gain a clear optic from OculusVR as you know better than me. And to be frank if I have inside sources I would not burn them just for clarification on a forum. But this is no "baseless", but based on observations - I think we all knew this is a "shortage" issue, (we have been here before at the beginning of the CV1 launch).  Its more like those that kept their eye on this particular ball are no longer there. Reminds me after the last round of layoffs we had that fantastic "bricking" of headsets over the non-updated MS license!

They may not have walked away from PCVR, but a lot of this is now in the hands of Lenovo - remember who's logo is also on the units!

sro9lsdiyvgj.png

saami81
Rising Star
CV1 tracking  was/is worse than what S tracking is today. I owned 2(two) CV1 headsets and used them with 2 to 4 sensors. There were those constant tracking problems where my whole tracking went crazy for fraction of second. Throwing my view to several centimeters offside and then snapping back. That made playing games like Beat saber very annoying. If they could fix that then this would make sense, but why to change for worse as it is now? Rift S tracking is just more relialable, unless you keep your hands behind your back.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Looking at the comments for the proposal, four people have commented in support of it in the past month, and at least one of them admits to not owning a Rift S. I don't know how the voting has trended (recent vs early on), but I suppose there must have been some recent activity to put the proposal on the "Hot" list. Regardless, this seems to be more a case of a vocal minority than a groundswell of support for external tracking.

I can say, based on my experience with Quest, that I personally have had no tracking issues and I believe that Insight tracking is the way forward--I believe that less dependence on external hardware makes for a better all-around solution.

There was a certain amount of resistance to external tracking when it was added back in the DK2 days, but it was necessary for a while, both to get 6dof working for the headset, as well as for getting tracked controllers into the mix. Now that they've managed to solve the issues with an internal solution, I can understand their desire to move away from using additional external devices.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

ShocksVR
Superstar
They may not have walked away from PCVR, but a lot of this is now in the hands of Lenovo - remember who's logo is also on the units!

And here's the Xiaomi GO! (which I haven't heard anyone claim Xiaomi is and was the lead on the GO project.).  You'll see the attached FCC identification info that shows it's registered as a Facebook product.

Having their branding on the headset isn't a sign of Lenovo being the executor of the project or having the lead on the future of the Rift. If anything we know Lenovo is the manufacturer (Oculus has always used contracted manufacturers), and Lenovo had design input on the headset (check out the Nate Mitchell and Jason Rubin GDC 2019 interviews with Tested and RoadtoVR; see below links).
I'd argue Lenovo's input was mainly on the Halo, considering Lenovo has a license agreement with SONY to use their PSVR halo on their branded headsets [perhaps this is why the Lenovo branding was required?]) https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2018/181031.html
Here's the attached GDC interviews:
https://www.roadtovr.com/facebook-jason-rubin-oculus-interview-gdc-2019/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vtryRHVg_I

If you talk to anyone that owns a GO and Rift S, they should admit the actual HMD of the Rift S is essentially a derivative design of the Oculus GO but with 6dof cameras (the Rift S and GO share the same display and same lenses).  The 2 look very similar. Quest and Rift S share the same controllers, so another decision not made by Lenovo. (anyone know who manufactures the controllers? Is it Goertek ?).
See below for my Rift S vs GO pic comparisons.

So Maybe we can go with:
Oculus designed the HMD, tracking, controllers, optics. Lenovo designed the Halo, comfort, and are providing the manufacturing.

So what's my point?  Oculus is still in charge of the design and direction of the Rift.  Oculus is providing all the post launch support with patch updates and hardware warranty support. The Rift S is registered with the FCC has a Facebook product (no mention of Lenovo, see below pic). The software includes the tracking improvements we saw with 1.39, and the numerous firmware updates provided by Oculus (I have yet to download anything from Lenovo's website).

==========================================================

Back to the point of the post, I believe it was Carmack that tweeted out it would be easier to improve Inside Out tracking than to include the old external constellation sensor with with Rift S. [found the tweet:

And we saw this with the 1.39 tracking update.  Here's a blog writeup by the Oculus Insight team.  You won't find any reference of Lenovo having input on the tracking software: https://ai.facebook.com/blog/powered-by-ai-oculus-insight/ (and this is posted on the Facebook proper site).  So I'm not sure why you keep beating the drums that Lenovo is the "decider" for the Rift platform.

==========================================================

Pics of the Rift S vs GO:

Lastly, the FCC Registration of the RiftS:

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S