OpenXR Support is in the latest PTC release — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

OpenXR Support is in the latest PTC release

kojackkojack Posts: 5,446 Volunteer Moderator
edited September 10 in General
I just saw this on twitter.
Rift Public Test Channel has our preview release which is fairly complete, we don't yet ship the .json manifest but you can create one and either point the XR_RUNTIME_JSON environment variable at it or set the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1\ActiveRuntime reg key. The .json should look like (for x64):
{
    "file_format_version": "1.0.0",
    "runtime":
    {
        "api_version": "1.0",
        "name": "Oculus OpenXR",
        "library_path": "c:\\Program Files\\Oculus\\Support\\oculus-runtime\\LibOVRRT64_1.dll"
    }
}
substitute LibOVRRT32_1.dll for the  /reg:32 version.

I haven't tried it yet (I'm at work).

OpenXR is the cross platform AR/VR standard, allowing a VR app to run on any OpenXR compatible VR headset without changes.

Microsoft already supports OpenXR on WMR headsets. AFAIK Valve currently doesn't have support in SteamVR.

Comments

• ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 422
    Trinity
    edited September 10
    Nicez0rs !

edit- got a link to the tweet ?
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,446 Volunteer Moderator
    it's in the post above (when someone posts a twitter link, the forum embeds the tweet).
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,979 Valuable Player
    hmmmm so is this so that users can  run openXR titles or does it mean that developers can build in openXR support into their titles going on the oculus store.?  (the latter of course would be massive news for owners of other headsets and would mean the end of the walled garden arguments)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    I don't know if Oculus will loosen their restriction of no store title containing support for other headsets.
    But with OpenXR support it should mean any app that was developed for OpenXR will run on the Rift.

So pretty much like how the Rift works now with Steam.

The real question will be how much of a hit will OpenXR have compared to SteamVR or OpenVR?

I guess I'll have to take a look at the OpenXR sdk, see how it compares to the Oculus sdk.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,027 Volunteer Moderator
    I'm pretty clueless about OpenXR. I know there's the OpenXR API and then the OpenXR device plug-in.

But I have no idea how this affects us. For example, does it mean that an app no longer has to be compiled for any particular device, just compiled for OpenXR? and if so, how is performance likely to compare, between an OpenXR compilation and an Oculus compilation with an Oculus headset?

And would an OpenXL API app support ASW 2?

Would an OpenXR API app on Steam support ASW 2.... or does OpenXR include it's own features like some sort of ASW?
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,979 Valuable Player
    I would love to hear an official oculus representative stance on this, esp regarding openXR support on titles on the oculus store for non oculus headsets.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,406 Valuable Player
    edited September 11
     OpenXR main goal is to work like any native compile program for that supported hardware. Meaning, ASW will work for Oculus headsets if it supports that feature - on the other hand - it wont work with Vive headsets that didn't support that feature in the first place.

It's kind of neat really - OpenXR I belive already has the frame work for eye tracking and just waiting on their partners to come forth with their SDK updates for it as well.

Their other goal is performance - but I think someone said there was a little performance hit when going this route. Not much it should effect already recommended or higher systems though to harshly. 

As far as sells - I am sure Oculus will support it in their store. Just as we see with other stores though - they might require a time release with their store for any up coming games that they do support/pay money to develop their games with.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,027 Volunteer Moderator
    Provided we know where the best performance lies then I'm good.

I guess my worry is that devs will likely now follow the simplest path to publication, which sounds very possibly the OpenXR route. So, that's fine provided Oculus users don't incur a performance hit or feature hit in the process.

Love to hear about any findings @kojack if you're able to test things out.
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
    edited September 11
    I just tried an Unreal scene with the oculus and steam plugins disabled and only the openxr plugin. I couldn't get it to go to the headset. The logs first said it couldn't find the openxr runtime when I tried just the registry key method above, so I set the environment variable. That got rid of the error, but it still didn't go to the headset.

Early days I guess. OpenXR 1.0 only came out last month and almost no headsets support it yet besides WMR and Varjo.