cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The cosmos launches tomorrow Sept. 12 but....

inovator
Consultant
WHY ALL THE SECRECY. I mean they won't give the specs until the live launch. A bad movie many times is not allowed to be reviewed before launch.  I'm just saying. 
61 REPLIES 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

In other news, apparently Pimax might release some news on their 8KX headset on September 16th or even a new headset. Who knows from them.Also HP Reverb is back in stock. So all go this week then.

So Reverb Gen3 display is 2 x 2160x2160 and Pimax 8KX Gen4 is 2 x 3840x2160. And I couldn't wait for Gen4 and now I'm stuck with a Gen2 hmd  :'( 

Unless they plan to get eye tracking with FOVA working (witch would only work with NV cards) - that is going to require some horse power to run that at all. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Mradr said:

RuneSR2 said:

In other news, apparently Pimax might release some news on their 8KX headset on September 16th or even a new headset. Who knows from them.Also HP Reverb is back in stock. So all go this week then.

So Reverb Gen3 display is 2 x 2160x2160 and Pimax 8KX Gen4 is 2 x 3840x2160. And I couldn't wait for Gen4 and now I'm stuck with a Gen2 hmd  :'( 

Unless they plan to get eye tracking with FOVA working (witch would only work with NV cards) - that is going to require some horse power to run that at all. 

I think current gen 2 is an optimal match for current high end gpus. Anything above may not work well in upcoming advanced VR games.  Cosmos was earlier shown with same res as Index, probably a good choice.

It's so easy to forget that running Lone Echo ss 100% in solid 90 fps with just a tiny bit of msaa and no taa will require a 2080 Ti or better- when using Index res.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

bigmike20vt
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

Mradr said:

I thought we basically already knew the specs? They just don't have it all listed in one place yet. Other than price - or any super last min changes - what else did people want to know about the headset?

Same here, specs were posted long ago, so unless HTC made last minute changes to the specs...

I didnt know the FOV had been announced? also does it have a mechanical ipd adjustment?, what is the battery life of the controllers (AA or usb rechargable)  and have they upgraded the lenses? the vive pro had a nice screen (at the time) but spoiled by poor lenses imo.

The other things for me is one which we wont know until it launches... how good is the tracking (compared to rift S and to lighthouse), how good is steamVR implementation, does revive work on it, does it support OpenXR

perhaps the info is out and i have missed it.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

Mradr said:

I thought we basically already knew the specs? They just don't have it all listed in one place yet. Other than price - or any super last min changes - what else did people want to know about the headset?

Same here, specs were posted long ago, so unless HTC made last minute changes to the specs...

I didnt know the FOV had been announced? also does it have a mechanical ipd adjustment?, what is the battery life of the controllers (AA or usb rechargable)  and have they upgraded the lenses? the vive pro had a nice screen (at the time) but spoiled by poor lenses imo.

The other things for me is one which we wont know until it launches... how good is the tracking (compared to rift S and to lighthouse), how good is steamVR implementation, does revive work on it, does it support OpenXR

perhaps the info is out and i have missed it.

I mean I don't keep up with it - but I thought it was 90-110 FOV (give or take some as everyone is different). The Cosmos was said to have a hardware IPD adjustment as well. As for life of the controllers - I am not sure - but I would stand to say either about the same as Touch or an hour or two less considering they're about the same size and using light as a tracking method. The image above does say they have improve lenses - so yes?

As you said though - how this compares to the rest we wont know until some reviewers get their hands on it - but we can't know that base off specs alone either.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
the image you posted does not answer the questions i am interested in tho.... FOV of 90-110 is a huge huge range and is more than a minor difference between peoples individual faces... either way however if that number is correct, even at the 110 range, that is disappointing imo.

I am happy with the resolution but that is the only thing that image covers really...
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

the image you posted does not answer the questions i am interested in tho.... FOV of 90-110 is a huge huge range and is more than a minor difference between peoples individual faces... either way however if that number is correct, even at the 110 range, that is disappointing imo.

I am happy with the resolution but that is the only thing that image covers really...

Well most headsets are in that range (Quest, Rift S, Vive, Index, etc) - and base off the images of other headset they have shown off - that falls inline with everyone else really. So I am not sure what is "disappointing" about it. It's possible they might have gotten a little more in the 110-120 range - but the lens sizes don't match up for anything north of that number.

If the rumor price of 600-750 is true - that still be worth getting over an Index (base off specs of course) but still an upgrade over Rift S if tracking can meet or does a little better than Oculus can. I would consider it a true 2.5 upgrade long as that tracking holds well.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I've primarily considered Cosmos like an improved version of Rift-S maybe with the possibility of transforming it into something like Quest:

https://360rumors.com/htc-vive-cosmos/

"Tethered instead of wireless.  The new Vive Cosmos has a cable whereas the previous one had no visible cable.  The Vive Cosmos appears to be a desktop VR headset, seemingly irreconcilable with HTC’s previous statement that the Vive Cosmos could be controlled either by a desktop or a smartphone.  It is not clear if the redesigned Vive Cosmos will still be able to connect to a smartphone given that it has a cable (presumably for USB and HDMI or DVI)."

I never found Cosmos very interesting, but let's see what happens tomorrow. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

bigmike20vt
Visionary
regardless... you were the one who said we already know the specs, but it sounds a bit like you are guessing.  Lets assume you correct however and split the difference in the region of 100.

what do i have to be dissapointed about?... well <shrugs> that is a personal thing I guess but personally for a headset closer to £900 (inc tax and postage) than to £400 I would like a better FOV than my 2014 DK2 and my 2016 CV1. (and better than a £400 Rift S)

Index doesnt have a huge FOV improvement but it is a slight one, and i was not expecting pimax levels of FOV but for a premium priced product i was hoping a region of 130-140.

inovator
Consultant

regardless... you were the one who said we already know the specs, but it sounds a bit like you are guessing.  Lets assume you correct however and split the difference in the region of 100.

what do i have to be dissapointed about?... well <shrugs> that is a personal thing I guess but personally for a headset closer to £900 (inc tax and postage) than to £400 I would like a better FOV than my 2014 DK2 and my 2016 CV1. (and better than a £400 Rift S)

Index doesnt have a huge FOV improvement but it is a slight one, and i was not expecting pimax levels of FOV but for a premium priced product i was hoping a region of 130-140.

I'm not an index fan especially with its factory defective knuckle controllers but anyone reviewing it said the increase in fov even though not huge made a big difference even allowing  some perifial vision. But cosmos needing to use a phone to be used without a PC to me is stupid and a huge turnoff. That being said if there was some big leaps over the rift s I could consider it but I doubt that will happen 

bigmike20vt
Visionary
That is actually another thing about the cosmos. I have not followed as closely as some but is it just me or do HTC seem to have backed off those claims somewhat?  I am almost half expecting it just to be a teathered headset now. (which is fine but the option to wang a phone in there could be cool).

Argos did have a preorder one up at £700 inc vat..... I must admit if that is correct it is actually not as bad as i feared price wise