Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Can't wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLUDNnIXZmM

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
659 REPLIES 659

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

msm903 said:

RedRizla said:

Holy shit, I just got the HP Reverb and No Mans Sky looks like playing it on a 2D monitor but in VR. I set my Steam VR to 180% SS and it looks like a dream come true. I haven't even bumped the graphics up yet from enhanced and I'm still absolutely blown away with the HP Reverb. Seriously, this is what Resolution VR needs to be at, if it stayed at the HP Reverbs resolution for years to come I'd be happy.

What Framerate are you getting?  On my index I can't maintain more than 40 (120hz)or maybe 45 (90hz)fps depending on the resolution I selected.  I would think a 2080ti would be helpful. My Rift S sits with ASW on most of the time at 40 fps.

I'll have to check and get back to you when I'm next on the computer. Everything appeared to be running smooth even if it was using reprojection. I'll check the actual fps though when I get chance.
I must say the cable on the HP Reverb is a bit of a pain though. It's no problem for seated games like this one and Elite Dangerous etc. But with the cable being stiff it's not good for standing up and playing. I'm going to see what it's like with a belt clip though just to take some weight off the cable when standing.

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star

RedRizla said:

I'll have to check and get back to you when I'm next on the computer. Everything appeared to be running smooth even if it was using reprojection. I'll check the actual fps though when I get chance.
I must say the cable on the HP Reverb is a bit of a pain though. It's no problem for seated games like this one and Elite Dangerous etc. But with the cable being stiff it's not good for standing up and playing. I'm going to see what it's like with a belt clip though just to take some weight off the cable when standing.

Reprojection is helpful for me.  To maintain 90fps would require me to lower the settings and with a 1060 I doubt that would even work in all situations.  So I crank up the graphics and reproject all the time.  Looks and runs great.
However my contentment may be spoiled if I ever tried this game on a really high end system.  I better not, because that could cause me to lay out some unplanned cash for an upgrade.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Does anyone know if the graphic setting really do anything to your fps? I've tried changing between Enhanced High and Ultra, but it doesn't seem to affect my fps? Has anyone else found that it does affect their fps when changing from enhanced to high?

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I've been running everything on High with no AA and 150% resolution in SteamVR. Performance seems to be reasonably consistent (except in the initial galaxy fly-through loading screen, that always stutters a little). I haven't played around with individual settings too much. I tried turning on FXAA after the patch that was supposed to improve AA for VR, but I did notice some worse performance, so I turned it off again.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star

RedRizla said:

Does anyone know if the graphic setting really do anything to your fps? I've tried changing between Enhanced High and Ultra, but it doesn't seem to affect my fps? Has anyone else found that it does affect their fps when changing from enhanced to high?

I want to experiment more with this.  My thoughts are that once you are at 45 fps with reprojection you should be able to get away with higher settings because of less frames fully rendered than at a full 90fps.  I've turned up the settings a little at a time to see if there is any impact and so far I haven't noticed anything.  Next time, I'll crank up the settings very high and see if I can get my 1060 to really buckle.
Most of my settings are at enhanced with a few at the next higher level. 

msm903
Protege
With the Rift S I am limited to 40 fps since I can't maintain 80fps with ASW on. The Index gives me same 40fps at 80 and 120hz and 45fps at 90hz. Sometimes at 120hz I may climb up to 60fps briefly. I am surprised my system using a 2080 ti, 32GB ram and a i9-9820x can't maintain 60fps in VR for my game.  Maybe something is just so bad with my system. 

nalex66
MVP
MVP
So I finally got exocraft weapons (mining beam) working. The issue is that you have to switch to the weapon every time you enter the vehicle (even if you only have one weapon installed), but the default mapping for switching weapons is messed up.

For flight controls, weapon switching is done by pushing the left joystick up (L Joystick D-Pad Touch North). For exocraft, the default mapping is right joystick up, but it's mapped as D-Pad Click instead of Touch. I moved it to left joystick up to be consistent with flight controls, and now it works fine--you can fire the mining beam with the A button and aim it with your gaze to gather resources without exiting your vehicle.

It's handy that they've used SteamVR's SteamInput controller settings for the game. You can easily edit the controls by going to Left Menu Button/Settings/Controller in SteamVR Home, and the updated mapping is properly reflected in the in-game button prompts. Along with the above tweaks for exocraft, I've modified my On Foot controls for easier weapon management. I mapped L Trigger to switch the main weapon, and X to switch the secondary weapon, so I can easily cycle through my multi-tool options without using the back-of-the-hand menu. This nicely mirrors the buttons to use the weapons (R Trigger and A), so its fairly intuitive. (I had tried using X and Left Grip before, but that conflicted with the grab-and-pull interaction in some cases).

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star
Ok, so I tested a few settings to see if I could find a breaking point with my GTX1060.  I'm talking about the 8 main options that go from Low to Ultra.  I don't run AA at all, and the HBAO setting is off (whatever the hell that option does).  I kept both of these off.
First I went up to High on all 8 options.  The game seemed to run pretty well.  I was surprised that I didn't really notice much drop in performance.  I just scampered around my base camp a bit.
Then I changed all settings to Ultra and restarted the game.  I definitely saw a difference especially when I flew my ship around the area.  Frame drops were more noticeable.  I could still actually play the game ok.  But yes, fewer frames for sure.  I wouldn't play the game this way for any duration though.
I went back to 4 settings on High (base quality, planet quality, texture quality, and animation quality).  The other 4 are at Enhanced. Restarted again.  A noticeable improvement, motion was way smoother.  I also saw I wasn't actually reprojecting 100% of the time but very often.  I'll play the game with this config and see how it goes, it should be fine.
A couple of questions:
What do Post Processing, Volumetric Effects, and Terrain Tesselation do?
WTF is HBAO?
Which graphics options are more 'expensive' to crank up?

The big thing for me was to turn off vsync in the Nvidia control panel.  I think everybody pretty much does this already.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
HBAO is ambient occlusion, which adds a bit of subtle shading where objects are near each other (like a little shade line where the bottom of an object touches the floor). I don’t think it’s too performance-heavy, so you could try turning it on and see if you like it. 

Post processing is usually visual effects like lens flare and bloom, and other tweaks to the visuals that are added after rendering (I’m not sure what specific effects are included for this game).

Volumetric effects are things like smoke, fog, and particles floating in the air.

Terrain tesselation is the amount of geometric detail in the terrain—setting it lower.might make hills and cave walls look more polygonal, higher would increase the number of faces to allow more complex or natural shapes. 

I haven't touched v-sync in the Nvidia control panel; I have it set to the default “let the application decide” and I turned off v-sync in the game menu (I’m not sure if it’s still there, or if they removed it when they took away settings that don’t do anything for the VR version). Maybe I should see if it makes any difference, but I’m not really experiencing any frame rate issues that I notice. 

Star-lizard
Rising Star
Ok so I haven't been able to play games lately but last night I jumped on to check performance after reading this thread . I just rebuilt my PC 17 9700k , rtx 2080 , 16 GB RAM
I'm getting 90 fps on planet most of the time with the occasional dip.
Ultra on everything
Taa low
So I have my Nvidea in the control planle as per this Reddit thread