cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Reverb second impression thread. (Revision 2)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Ok HP have finally started selling the Reverb again after the messy first release. I returned the 1st with issues and received my version 2 model yesterday. Setup is plug and play as you'd expect with a WMR. I did have an issue for an hour or so where I was stuck in 3dof but after tinkering I found the error (user) and was back in 6dof. The cable is still heavy and a tad cumbersome but due to a new included clip, the cable attachment will not come apart now.

Now for the good bits, the resolution ohhh the resolution!!! I am so glad I have my Reverb again for simming. Sod the controllers I don't use them. But in DCS FSX P3D and our Flyinside simulator, the clarity is what I've always wished and hoped for.

Yes I think it does need a 2080ti to get the full benefit of this headset but that's a personal opinion and yes it's a tad pricey but did I mention the resolution?

If you are into sit down experiences or simming then this is a must have HMD, it really does blow everything out of the water (until we hear about the cosmos)

I think the sound is on par with the CV1 through the Reverbs headphones but defo not as comfortable but they are bearable.

Visuals = 10/10
Comfort = 7.5/10
Build quality = 8.5/10
Value = 9/10
Recommendations = 9.5/10

Simmers it's a no brainer, go buy.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

77 REPLIES 77

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

Techy111 said:

No mate not thought of trying that but will tonight.

Go careful -I got a blank screen on my 2D monitor when I tried that with CV1 and Rift S when I had it. I had to do 5 cold reboots to get my 2D computer screen back after doing it.

Shhhh!!! You're scaring him 😄 I think it's a perfect idea to connect Reverb and the CV1. Now first start the rig - don't touch CV1 even if it's fully connected, but just start SteamVR and check the Reverb is properly identified - and now close Steam completely (even the tray icon). 
Now start Oculus Home, and choose for example a game like Skyrim VR - or FallOut 4 VR -  using Dash, and I wish you the best of luck!  o:)
In fact, maybe it'll work with no problems, I just haven't dared to try it. 

As long as I don't start SteamVR, having both CV1 and Index connected isn't a problem on my rig - no reboots, all is working perfectly.  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Techy111
MVP
MVP
The thing I find a tad annoying is when starting any sims with the Reverb and steam VR up and running, Oculus home starts !!! Ideas ?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Techy111 said:

The thing I find a tad annoying is when starting any sims with the Reverb and steam VR up and running, Oculus home starts !!! Ideas ?

You can close it - but I have not experienced any performance losses. It doesn't always start on my rig. 
I'm using a solution like this - usually I only power the CV1 when I'm about to use it, 3 sensor are always active though.

lroev3db1bi0.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Yeah got one of those mate and it only starts OH when I start one of my sims.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
The lack of an IPD adjustment is what turned me off to the Reverb. Also, just the index resolution is stressing my 2080ti out on these sims. 

How good is the WMR smoothing technology given that avoiding reprojection in most sims (IL-2, DCS) is almost impossible? 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Techy111
MVP
MVP

MowTin said:

The lack of an IPD adjustment is what turned me off to the Reverb. Also, just the index resolution is stressing my 2080ti out on these sims. 

Software related IPD in settings mate, works quite well 🙂

rw5wdtfducvz.jpg

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

Techy111 said:

You can close it - but I have not experienced any performance losses. It doesn't always start on my rig. 
I'm using a solution like this - usually I only power the CV1 when I'm about to use it, 3 sensor are always active though.

lroev3db1bi0.jpg

Does this disable the Oculus CV1 from starting or will there still be problem with it connected to the HDMi?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Only way I have found is to stop OVRservice in your task manager services tab.  Then when you want to run your Rift again, restart OVRservice (or restart your PC).  Or, you can make a simple bat file to turn it on/off.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

TomCgcmfc said:

Only way I have found is to stop OVRservice in your task manager services tab.  Then when you want to run your Rift again, restart OVRservice (or restart your PC).  Or, you can make a simple bat file to turn it on/off.

I can't make a simple bat file because I don't know how to 😄
Where can I get a bat file?

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I just used to use the Oculus Tray Tool to stop the Oculus services.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.