New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HP Reverb First Impressions Thread (Gen 1)

1789101113»

Comments

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,709 Valuable Player
    Do you get a 2 year warranty on this headset? I thought you did, but I read somewhere it's a 1 year warranty? Or is it only 1 year outside of Europe and 2 years in Europe?
    I have a really important thing you need to do otherwise the colors on your HP Reverb will look washed out and too white. I noticed my cockpit in the A10C looked really washed out and I couldn't really see the gauges properly, but this also happens in other games. Follow this guide to disable fast windows start and it fixes the colour in the HP Reverb and makes it look like it should. Especially make sure to follow section 6 and click on the "change settings that are unavailable". Then you will be able to untick what you need to untick in the link I've provided. I can believe this fixes the washed out look in the cockpits and other washed out whites in games. You would think HP would tell you to do this, but we have to find these things out ourselves. :)

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,628 Volunteer Moderator
    That's pretty bizarre. Why would a faster boot affect colours?

Disabling fast start is a good thing for other reasons though. If you dual boot, every time you swap operating systems there's a chance of fast boot corrupting your drives. You'll possibly lose any recently changed files. I've had this happen multiple times, until I found out that fast start is a well known culprit.

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,466
    Project 2501
    Ya, I disabled fast start and hibernation a long time ago.  This has improved the stability of everthing, esp. Oculus VR.  Not sure why it would effect colours.  Maybe a full shutdown improves the windows colour calibration?

I see that the Reverb is now available to purchase from the HP store in Australia.  Costs aud$999 and 15 business days shipping (direct from factory).  I might give this some more consideration but just the thought of going back to Windows Mixed Reality makes me cringe, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

kojack said:
    That's pretty bizarre. Why would a faster boot affect colours?

Disabling fast start is a good thing for other reasons though. If you dual boot, every time you swap operating systems there's a chance of fast boot corrupting your drives. You'll possibly lose any recently changed files. I've had this happen multiple times, until I found out that fast start is a well known culprit.

Not really sure why it worked, I saw it on a Reddit post. All I know is that my A10C cockpit in DCS looked to light to read the gauges properly, but after doing this the cockpit looked fine.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,779 Valuable Player

THANKS FOR CHOOSING HP

Order number - SCEO16######
    Order date13/09/2019
    Estimated Delivery Date17/09/2019

Here we go again. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the Index. I'll finally be able to do a proper side by side comparison.

B) 

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,494 Volunteer Moderator
    I had a good solid 4 hours in it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. DCS Is a joy and downloaded Fallout 4 VR to try tonight. Looking forward to your 2nd review mate :)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,777 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    I had a good solid 4 hours in it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. DCS Is a joy and downloaded Fallout 4 VR to try tonight. Looking forward to your 2nd review mate :)
    How was performance in DCS and what kind of graphics settings did you run?

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Project 2501
    Like the cosmos thread why do we need 2x Reverb threads?

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

@Techy111 - I'm still getting bright whites that make it difficult to read the APU in the A10C. Can you read the APU letters and numbers? I'm that busy playing Fallout 4 though and it's such a joy to see everything so clear. I'm just learning to play Fallout 4 and it's a blast, so much to it that I'm going to be playing this for a while.
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 585
    Neo
    RedRizla said:
    I have a really important thing you need to do otherwise the colors on your HP Reverb will look washed out and too white. I noticed my cockpit in the A10C looked really washed out and I couldn't really see the gauges properly, but this also happens in other games. Follow this guide to disable fast windows start and it fixes the colour in the HP Reverb and makes it look like it should. Especially make sure to follow section 6 and click on the "change settings that are unavailable". Then you will be able to untick what you need to untick in the link I've provided. I can believe this fixes the washed out look in the cockpits and other washed out whites in games. You would think HP would tell you to do this, but we have to find these things out ourselves. :)

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup
    Ok i just did this with W10 and tried it with my Dell visor on ED, now it is not OLED black levels but i could swear the colours are a bit more vibrante in the game and the black level is not so grey.........i will check more tomorrow but it did look a bit better after disabling fast boot and restarting the whole PC........but the colours do seems better. :)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,750 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    @Techy111 - I'm still getting bright whites that make it difficult to read the APU in the A10C. Can you read the APU letters and numbers? I'm that busy playing Fallout 4 though and it's such a joy to see everything so clear. I'm just learning to play Fallout 4 and it's a blast, so much to it that I'm going to be playing this for a while.
    Have you modified FO4 or is it plain vanilla? I haven't played it on the Index yet. BTW, one thing I've noticed is that TAA often makes everything extremely blurry on more high-res displays than CV1, and for those replaying games previously set up for CV1, it may be a good idea to check if AA settings still are optimal (TAA is what I've used in FO4, maybe also Robinson and especially in Lone Echo). 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,779 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Like the cosmos thread why do we need 2x Reverb threads?
    Ask Techy seeing as he created the second thread. I would hazard a guess it's to distinguish between the first gen reviews (most devices were a dud) and the revised version reviews. I think it would help Google searching as well having a new thread. Seeing as he is a moderator here I wouldn't question his actions. His rule is absolute. 

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Thank you Mr @Shadowmask72 for your fine input and of course your observations are entirely correct ;) yes @TomCgcmfc I opened a 2nd thread for the reason of the revised Reverb. I will send my 5 year old and 2 year old out to anyone who double posts on both threads. They will sort anyone out !!!! Hope this clarifies? ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Project 2501
    edited September 14
    Why not just close this thread?  It will still be searchable.  No one is going to add anything of value to it, probably including this post as well, lol!

Under overwhelming pressure and threats to my star trek collection I've decided to close this thread as it has run its course ;)

This discussion has been closed.