New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

A first look at Galaxy Forces VR

rh_galaxyrh_galaxy Posts: 121 Oculus Start Member
Coming to Oculus Home soon. Hope some of you will like it.

The trailer video also exist on the game website in full 60 FPS.
http://www.galaxy-forces-vr.com/

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,632 Valuable Player
    edited August 2019
    rh_galaxy said:

That video is like watching Yoda use his light saber :o ... I need to train ... more ;)

Love that this game works in perfect 90 fps even when forcing super sampling 2.0 for optimal image quality. And it brings back all my childhood memories  :) Lunar Lander 40 years later!
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,136 Valuable Player
    rh_galaxy said:

That does look my bag! Good work and good luck with your game
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 661
    Neo
    First thing that came to mind when i saw this was the seminal Oids on the Atari ST, so i would be well up for this.
    Just tested the Steam version and I'm happy to tell that this is another of those rare games I can play in solid 90 fps with all in-game setting maxed out and forcing SteamVR super sampling 200% on the Index. 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1035550/Galaxy_Forces_VR/

I'm sure it'll work perfectly using super sampling 2.0 for most Rift(-S) users too. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,895 Valuable Player
    Wow, this looks like an old school atari game called "Vanguard" but modernized.....
  • rh_galaxyrh_galaxy Posts: 121 Oculus Start Member
    It might be on later levels that are larger that 200% super sampling will be too much... The largest level is mission29 - let me hear from you when you have it unlocked and tested...

Anyway, want to tell you that the release date for Oculus Rift will be 5th of September. But it's available on Steam as of right now.
    rh_galaxy said:
    It might be on later levels that are larger that 200% super sampling will be too much... The largest level is mission29 - let me hear from you when you have it unlocked and tested...

Anyway, want to tell you that the release date for Oculus Rift will be 5th of September. But it's available on Steam as of right now.
    I did try the last level, I didn't notice performance differences. Just saw that my SteamVR Home defaults to ss 302% (auto-scaling at 90 fps) - so Index 200% probably should work just fine in your game for owners of GTX 1080 or faster video cards. Especially the Rift CV1 shines using ss 2.0 (Oculus Tray Tool). 

SteamVR ss 200% may be more of a problem for those pushing 120+ Hz on the Index, I only tested the game using 90 Hz. With 1050 as recommend video card, I think it's a great idea to push ss to the max in this game. 

Congrats with the Steam release!

Hi
    I am interested in this one. Does the steam version only run on steamVR  or does it have native rift support too? . Out of curiosity am wondering if you have any insight on why some developers choose to go steamVR only rather than native on steam for the rift, when there is native support on the oculus store version, where as others are happy to support both properly?.
    Surely the work for native oculus support is already done,?

Thanks and good luck with launch.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Hi
    I am interested in this one. Does the steam version only run on steamVR  or does it have native rift support too? . Out of curiosity am wondering if you have any insight on why some developers choose to go steamVR only rather than native on steam for the rift, when there is native support on the oculus store version, where as others are happy to support both properly?.
    Surely the work for native oculus support is already done,?

Thanks and good luck with launch.
    I'm not sure, but here is what I've done.

Using the game engine Unity, there is indeed support for both OpenVR and Oculus native, you flick a switch for what shall be initialized first. I had the same code tree up until I added SteamVR Input... after that I had one for Oculus store and one for Steam. I'm not sure what will happen if you make the Stream version initialize the Oculus VR system instead of SteamVR. Maybe input will fail...

Steam version - Using OpenVR and SteamVR Input
    Oculus store version - Using Oculus native and Unitys own input system

It is possible to support both in the Steam version but it would mean much extra work.
    Thanks for the reply. 
    BTW, regarding my previous posts, I've tried the game on Steam only using Index, and I've tried the game on CV1 only using the Oculus version. I have not tried the Steam version on the CV1. The game is quite inexpensive, I'd recommend getting the Oculus version for Oculus HMDs, and the Steam version for non-Oculus hmds. 

Congrats launching the game in Oculus Store - I think $7 is a great price for the many levels:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2005558116207772/

Personally I love playing the game when I have to relax a bit - for example after a nice work-out in Whitewater Kayaking yesterday ;)

Thanks, I hope more will notice the game, I think it works really well in VR...

Here is a video review done before the game was released, a handful of things has been fixed afterwards.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MeLlMQXRys
    To promote the game I give five copies for free. First one gets it.
    You go to Settings in the Oculus Home App -> Account -> Redeem Code. Thats $7 you save for a great retro game. I'd appreciate if you tell what code you take below.

Hope you will begin competing on the hiscore list.

34F7Q-GWCP6-N7JRW-TRPTR-ETX44
    EJCQJ-W46MK-6AYNX-PNWPQ-MGC79
    GGQHW-C6477-4WXEF-KPHKG-FWMMK
    QPF7F-YRJJM-6NANQ-NNKAW-YTPEG
    EKX34-MPKTE-WC7WT-WG6PH-X3HAC
    I have to say I am surprised and a little bit worried at the lack for response to this. I stumbled on this kind give away 15 mins ago and I expected all the keys to be gone and thought you would have had lots of likes.

I am left questioning how many active members there are on this forum .   
    I have to say I am surprised and a little bit worried at the lack for response to this. I stumbled on this kind give away 15 mins ago and I expected all the keys to be gone and thought you would have had lots of likes.

I am left questioning how many active members there are on this forum .   
    I'm very worried - not just about Galaxy Forces VR, but take a look at how many VR games have no ratings at all in the Oculus Store. Galaxy Forces VR may not be Lone Echo, but it's great fun for relaxing - and for trying something different. If these keys don't disappear like fresh free donuts at the bakery, then things are truly dead in here.

One thing is to think that a game doesn't look interesting - but why not try it especially if it's free? Makes no sense to me... 

edited September 2019
    Regarding the reviews 1 thing I will say oculus desperately need to make it simpler to leave reviews. (Make it just like steam imo)..... (edit.....actually it is not so bad you just have to do it out of VR - AFAIK, pretty sure that has been made much simpler since last time i tried)
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,073 Valuable Player
    Grabbed #5. Thank you for your generous offer. 
    Some dude found similarities when comparing to this Amiga game - he's probably quite right, I've never played the Amiga game, looks fun:

are you on about the dude who posted the review on the oculus store... if so ignore him, he does not know what he is on about ;)
    are you on about the dude who posted the review on the oculus store... if so ignore him, he does not know what he is on about ;)
    No ;) Although that was a nice review. Found the above video on Steam  B)

• ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 540
    Neo
    It's basically Thrust in VR then?
    Yes, but it's more than 2 colors :)
    • 25 Race and 30 Mission levels
    • Global hi-scores with replay
    • Interactive music
    It's a full game, not an "experience", 10 hours of gameplay, not counting nailing any of the 21 achievements. 
    It works great in VR.
    edited October 2019
    So you gave away like 10 or 20 copies, and only @bigmike20vt had the courtesy to write a review.  That's not really nice of all the others getting the game for free. Of course you can't buy good reviews, but it would be great to get more honest reviews, even from persons who didn't like the game a lot, but keeping quiet isn't going to help any devs making ends meet. 2c.

Keep a look out on Black Friday, this game will be $1!
    Major update in v1.40 live now. Touch controller support added for a steering option called "Point motion". I didn't do it at first because I didn't believe in it, but it works rather well after getting used to. At least it's much easier for beginners now but a master will still be faster with the old gamepad type steering.

It's a first step in porting the game to the Oculus Go, where the only option is to support the original Go controller since not many people have another controller.