New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HP Reverb second impression thread. (Revision 2)

Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,596 Volunteer Moderator
edited September 14 in General
Ok HP have finally started selling the Reverb again after the messy first release. I returned the 1st with issues and received my version 2 model yesterday. Setup is plug and play as you'd expect with a WMR. I did have an issue for an hour or so where I was stuck in 3dof but after tinkering I found the error (user) and was back in 6dof. The cable is still heavy and a tad cumbersome but due to a new included clip, the cable attachment will not come apart now.

Now for the good bits, the resolution ohhh the resolution!!! I am so glad I have my Reverb again for simming. Sod the controllers I don't use them. But in DCS FSX P3D and our Flyinside simulator, the clarity is what I've always wished and hoped for.

Yes I think it does need a 2080ti to get the full benefit of this headset but that's a personal opinion and yes it's a tad pricey but did I mention the resolution?

If you are into sit down experiences or simming then this is a must have HMD, it really does blow everything out of the water (until we hear about the cosmos)

I think the sound is on par with the CV1 through the Reverbs headphones but defo not as comfortable but they are bearable.

Visuals = 10/10
Comfort = 7.5/10
Build quality = 8.5/10
Value = 9/10
Recommendations = 9.5/10

Simmers it's a no brainer, go buy.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Tagged:

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,527
    Project 2501
    Good idea to start a 2nd release thread mate.  Thanks.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,116 Valuable Player
    Unless they've redesigned the earphones, I'm gonna have to disagree about their sound quality compared to the CV1s. 

And I don't know if you've assimilated the lousy ergonimics of the controllers into the comfort factor or not - but imo they are pretty awful overall.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,994 Valuable Player
    edited September 12
    Had this weird dream where most boardies in here suddenly used HMDs from HTC, Valve and HP. Yeah, really weird, my mind goes crazy when I sleep  :D  o:)

[Admitted, this was my - maybe slightly misguided - attempt to make a funny post] 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,596 Volunteer Moderator
    The Reverb will work beside my Rift and Go lol
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Techy111 said:
    I also have my CV1 in case someone angrily says to me "you don't belong here"  o:)  :D 

Actually I've paid more than 1K for my Oculus software - that's gotta count for something too. 

And now to Lone Echo on the Reverb - I wonder if it's possible with the controllers? ... I guess some WMR dudes must have tried it...
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,780 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    Do you have the CV1 plugged in at the same time as the Reverb?
    No mate not thought of trying that but will tonight.

edited September 12
    Techy111 said:
    Go careful -I got a blank screen on my 2D monitor when I tried that with CV1 and Rift S when I had it. I had to do 5 cold reboots to get my 2D computer screen back after doing it.
    RedRizla said:
    Techy111 said:
    Go careful -I got a blank screen on my 2D monitor when I tried that with CV1 and Rift S when I had it. I had to do 5 cold reboots to get my 2D computer screen back after doing it.

Shhhh!!! You're scaring him :D I think it's a perfect idea to connect Reverb and the CV1. Now first start the rig - don't touch CV1 even if it's fully connected, but just start SteamVR and check the Reverb is properly identified - and now close Steam completely (even the tray icon). 
    Now start Oculus Home, and choose for example a game like Skyrim VR - or FallOut 4 VR -  using Dash, and I wish you the best of luck!  o:)
    In fact, maybe it'll work with no problems, I just haven't dared to try it. 

As long as I don't start SteamVR, having both CV1 and Index connected isn't a problem on my rig - no reboots, all is working perfectly.  

The thing I find a tad annoying is when starting any sims with the Reverb and steam VR up and running, Oculus home starts !!! Ideas ?

Techy111 said:
    The thing I find a tad annoying is when starting any sims with the Reverb and steam VR up and running, Oculus home starts !!! Ideas ?
    You can close it - but I have not experienced any performance losses. It doesn't always start on my rig. 
    I'm using a solution like this - usually I only power the CV1 when I'm about to use it, 3 sensor are always active though.

Yeah got one of those mate and it only starts OH when I start one of my sims.

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,811 Valuable Player
    The lack of an IPD adjustment is what turned me off to the Reverb. Also, just the index resolution is stressing my 2080ti out on these sims. 

How good is the WMR smoothing technology given that avoiding reprojection in most sims (IL-2, DCS) is almost impossible? 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    MowTin said:
    The lack of an IPD adjustment is what turned me off to the Reverb. Also, just the index resolution is stressing my 2080ti out on these sims. 

Software related IPD in settings mate, works quite well :)

RuneSR2 said:
    Techy111 said:
    You can close it - but I have not experienced any performance losses. It doesn't always start on my rig. 
    I'm using a solution like this - usually I only power the CV1 when I'm about to use it, 3 sensor are always active though.

Does this disable the Oculus CV1 from starting or will there still be problem with it connected to the HDMi?
    Project 2501
    Only way I have found is to stop OVRservice in your task manager services tab.  Then when you want to run your Rift again, restart OVRservice (or restart your PC).  Or, you can make a simple bat file to turn it on/off.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

TomCgcmfc said:
    Only way I have found is to stop OVRservice in your task manager services tab.  Then when you want to run your Rift again, restart OVRservice (or restart your PC).  Or, you can make a simple bat file to turn it on/off.
    I can't make a simple bat file because I don't know how to :D
    Where can I get a bat file?
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,871 Valuable Player
    I just used to use the Oculus Tray Tool to stop the Oculus services.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Project 2501
    RedRizla said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    I can't make a simple bat file because I don't know how to :D
    Where can I get a bat file?
    Just Google ovr services bat file.  You will see lots of examples how to create a simple bat file with your notebook editor.  I think I used to use the one shown on the windows central website.

Title changed to help anyone who is interested ;)

Project 2501
    Maybe change the other Reverb thread likewise to ....(Gen 1).  Then close it.

Done 🤟

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,871 Valuable Player
    Other than fixing the screen issues what else have they [HP] done? Is there a list of changes somewhere. Not sure why you put Gen 2 as if it's a new device? Is the cable less thick for example?

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,278
    Wintermute
    Techy111 said:
    That's strange, why would Oculus software launch when using a different company's HMD? Can anyone please explain?
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    Project 2501
    edited September 14
    Techy111 said:
    That's strange, why would Oculus software launch when using a different company's HMD? Can anyone please explain?
    Pretty simple imho.  If you have Oculus software installed it already starts up ovr services.  If you do not want it to start up Oculus home you need to stop ovr services.  No big deal imho.

Other than fixing the screen issues what else have they [HP] done? Is there a list of changes somewhere. Not sure why you put Gen 2 as if it's a new device? Is the cable less thick for example?
    No the cable is much of the same, a clip  is included to stop the cable parting. Also it states VR1000-2××× in the home portal so something has changed with the headset. It certainly doesn't get warm anymore.

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,278
    Wintermute
    edited September 14
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Techy111 said:
    Pretty simple imho.  If you have Oculus software installed it already starts up ovr services.  If you do not want it to start up Oculus home you need to stop ovr services.  No big deal imho.

I still don't understand.

Why would one gaming platform open up when using a HMD that is programmed to work for a different gaming platform? Is this a glitch?

Like shouldn't it work like this - When you use a Rift CV1/S it does not open Steam VR when using Oculus Home.

And then when using Index/Reverb/Cosmos/Vive etc it does not open Oculus Home when using Steam VR?

Why would either one open the other?
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    Maybe it has something to do with any exe files written when using the CV1 and all my sims ??? Say if I open DCS it launches my windows portal then steam VR and finally right at the end, Oculus Home. Could it be something written to windows ???

Unless there is a setting somewhere in SteamVR that has been ticked that looks for the CV1??