cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Reverb second impression thread. (Revision 2)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Ok HP have finally started selling the Reverb again after the messy first release. I returned the 1st with issues and received my version 2 model yesterday. Setup is plug and play as you'd expect with a WMR. I did have an issue for an hour or so where I was stuck in 3dof but after tinkering I found the error (user) and was back in 6dof. The cable is still heavy and a tad cumbersome but due to a new included clip, the cable attachment will not come apart now.

Now for the good bits, the resolution ohhh the resolution!!! I am so glad I have my Reverb again for simming. Sod the controllers I don't use them. But in DCS FSX P3D and our Flyinside simulator, the clarity is what I've always wished and hoped for.

Yes I think it does need a 2080ti to get the full benefit of this headset but that's a personal opinion and yes it's a tad pricey but did I mention the resolution?

If you are into sit down experiences or simming then this is a must have HMD, it really does blow everything out of the water (until we hear about the cosmos)

I think the sound is on par with the CV1 through the Reverbs headphones but defo not as comfortable but they are bearable.

Visuals = 10/10
Comfort = 7.5/10
Build quality = 8.5/10
Value = 9/10
Recommendations = 9.5/10

Simmers it's a no brainer, go buy.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

77 REPLIES 77

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Unless there is a setting somewhere in SteamVR that has been ticked that looks for the CV1??
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Found this little post = https://www.windowscentral.com/how-prevent-oculus-home-starting-when-you-launch-steamvr

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Techy111 said:

Other than fixing the screen issues what else have they [HP] done? Is there a list of changes somewhere. Not sure why you put Gen 2 as if it's a new device? Is the cable less thick for example?

No the cable is much of the same, a clip  is included to stop the cable parting. Also it states VR1000-2××× in the home portal so something has changed with the headset. It certainly doesn't get warm anymore.

They changed some components in the headset to low tolerance components. They were supposed to be low tolerance from the start, but during manufacturing they were changed to higher tolerance components which caused screen flickering. So they have basically changed them back to low tolerance ones.
@Techy -Where exactly do you see this because I've looked and can't find it VR1000-2×××
My impression of HP Reverb -This is the resolution VR needs to be at imo. Everything is much clear to see and near 2D resolution. Just using the HP Reverb for desktop use is a great now. I won't be purchasing lower resolutions VR headsets unless they can look like the HP Reverb.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
If you check my screenshot earlier in this thread then look above the white box near the top and it shows VR1000-2××× see it ?

Wildt
Consultant
Hmm.. now a whole bunch of danish resellers have it in stock. Think I might give it another go.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Wildt
Consultant
...aaaand ordered :sunglasses:
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Let us know how it goes 🙂

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Wildt said:

...aaaand ordered :sunglasses:

Cheapest seller in Denmark wants like $800 it seems - but at least better than the $1250 you have to bleed over here for the Index. Could get my aunt in Chicago to bring one home for Christmas, but let's put a pin in that idea, lol. Looking forward to your review!

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Shadowmask72 - Were you able to do a side by side comparison of the display yet? I'm just wondering what you thought.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Yes. Will post a full comparison in due course (video & text).

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.