cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to calibrate Quest controllers (left one drifts)

tpg_sabibo00_qu
Protege
My left controller is drifting in my game.  I see stuff online about tweaking the calibration files for the deadzone values - but that is for Rift on PC.  Does the Quest have similar files?  Is there some other way to adjust or re-calibrate the controllers?  I have tried taking the battery out - that didn't do anything.
Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

KeyboardDemon
Explorer
Try changing the lighting in the room where you are using your Quest, it might be a light related issue.

slipperedlobste
Honored Guest

Try changing the lighting in the room where you are using your Quest, it might be a light related issue.

Definitely not..I have the same problem..   Not an easy fix.  It isn't light...it isn't batteries in wrong or underpowered...It is a definite drift problem.   My severely handycaps me.  I tried almost everything....and now will try to replace the left controller

bastos_
Honored Guest
I have the same problem i don’t know why but once in a while the controller drifts away for no reason and doesn’t respond anymore. I tried removing the battery. It works again for 10 seconds and it drifts again...

kojack
MVP
MVP
Deadzones in the calibration files (no idea if Quest has them) are for thumbstick drift causing the player to move around in games with free movement.
If the controller itself is drifting in the world, then that's most likely a tracking problem. The headset is failing to see the controller clearly and is falling back on inertial tracking, which is only stable for a second or so before it drifts too much.

One thing to try would be to look at the drifting controller with a phone camera (they are bad at blocking IR light). Check that it has all the infrared lights working. This is what it should look like (only through the camera, the lights are invisible to the naked eye):

It also may be as KeyboardDemon said. Make sure you have the Quest tracking frequency set to the power frequency used in your region.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Marroxx
Honored Guest
l

UnderBag
Honored Guest
I have the same problem. The "drifting" happens in a game even after I remove the batteries from my controllers. In other words, I don't think it's a tracking issue. It sure seems like the headset itself thinks I should move to the right almost all the time. (It will stop moving to the right if I move to the left a few times. But if I move at all again, the drift right resumes.) 

I tried a factory reset. No improvement yet. Waiting on my newest help ticket.

neo_bong_9
Explorer
Change battery 

MAJ0R-PAIN
Honored Guest
okay, I have the same problem but it's not the controller. drifting into space it's my player's body actually moves hard rite as soon as I let go of the joystick. It's a hell of a bitc3 where you get to the top of a structure and walk right off the edge. I've tried it  all but never heard of the  tracking frequency thing., but I stopped using my quest two altogether and I'm back to the quest 1, god I hope that I dint have to go back to my rift. nooooo

MAJ0R-PAIN
Honored Guest
 oh, and can I fix the spelling of my name, please?