Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Can't wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLUDNnIXZmM

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
659 REPLIES 659

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star

Anyway the game is telling me to build a base on it however it tells me to point to build menu. What info the holographic build wand pops up for a split second then it closes. The rest of the UI was working. At this point it was 1:20 am so I turned off . Is this a bug or stupidity?

You must be in the same time zone as me.  It's 1:50am for me as I type this.  Just got out of a 3 hour session in NMS.  It's hard to stop playing this game sometimes.

I am finding myself a little overwhelmed. I have 3 or 4 main missions on the go and some side quests. I can't seem to be able to stick to 1 thing and keep getting side tracked.

Indeed.  It's always just one or two more things then I tell myself to get back on the main storyline.  Hasn't happened yet, just having too much fun finding stuff.  I have a couple planetary maps to find locations of interest.  I'll check those out then download the latest base computer archive to see what it says.  THEN I'll get back on the storyline (I hope).

Oh last question. Say I want to refine 50 units of copper but not all of it how to I take 50 units? At moment I am putting everything in which may not always be what I want
There's an output setting on your refiner to set it for just the amount you want to refine.  Load up the input box with your pile of copper.  Set the output quantity on the right hand side to whatever amount you want and it will stop automatically at that point.  When it's done you just collect the output and put it in inventory.  You can also take the input pile back out as well.
One thing I don't like is that you can't reclaim the material used to supply power.

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star
Nalex, I've come across a few crashed ships that needed massive repairs.  I was given the option to 'claim' the crashed ship.  What happens if you claim it, does that now become your active ship? 

RattyUK
Trustee
@bigmike20vt - you can summon your Freighter to you from anywhere, it doesn't require any fuel to do this. You only need fuel in the Freighter if you wish to jump it manually to a new destination, nice when the upgrades are done and it can jump many LY and not limited to systems of any particular star colour (as in the drives needed for your starships as you upgrade them.)
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

Nalex, I've come across a few crashed ships that needed massive repairs.  I was given the option to 'claim' the crashed ship.  What happens if you claim it, does that now become your active ship? 

Mee too. I was then too scared to confirm the swap just in case. So I left the ship there. Without a freighter where does the old ship reside if you swap out.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RattyUK
Trustee

Mee too. I was then too scared to confirm the swap just in case. So I left the ship there. Without a freighter where does the old ship reside if you swap out.

Een without a Freighter I believe you can still hold a maximum of 6 ships, I had a few before I got my first Freighter, have no idea where they are 'stored' but they can be recalled wherever you are, even if they are 'broken'.
I picked up my first wreck and swapped back to my starter ship then recalled the wreck to my base to do the work on it.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star

RattyUK said:

Een without a Freighter I believe you can still hold a maximum of 6 ships, I had a few before I got my first Freighter, have no idea where they are 'stored' but they can be recalled wherever you are, even if they are 'broken'.
I picked up my first wreck and swapped back to my starter ship then recalled the wreck to my base to do the work on it.

Interesting.  Can you go into detail on how you actually did this?  Let's say I'm at a crash site.  I take the 'claim' option on the shipwreck.  What happens then?
How do you get back to your base if you can't fly the wrecked ship?
I love the idea of bringing shipwreck back to base camp.  I would definitely do this.  This would be a great project to have around and work on over time.
I've been to two recent crash sites, both ships were really damaged.  I wanted to fix one of them for fun but I didn't want to have to keep flying back to the crash site over and over.  So I just left them both.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
My first crashed ship, I built a base there and did the repairs where it sat (but kept using my old ship while I worked on it). For the second one, I claimed it, then got back in my old ship and flew away. Later, I did some repairs to it in my freighter, and then swapped to using it as my main ship.

As long as the button says “Claim ship” you’re not swapping out your current ship. You change which is your current ship by getting into one. Your old ship might vanish if you reload a save while the crashed one is your active ship, but you can always summon your old one back—I learned that after having a bit of a scare while fixing my first wreck. 

I’m not sure what happens when you claim a crash with six ships already owned; at that point you might have to swap your current ship to claim the new one. If that’s the case, I would first summon the worst ship in my inventory, make that active, then swap it for the new one. 

If you're not sure about what’s going to happen, you can always make a manual save before doing anything (use the waypoint beacon if there’s one near the ship, or build a save point or save beacon). That way you don’t have to worry about overwriting your autosave while you mess around with getting in and out of ships. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

nalex66
MVP
MVP

There's an output setting on your refiner to set it for just the amount you want to refine.  Load up the input box with your pile of copper.  Set the output quantity on the right hand side to whatever amount you want and it will stop automatically at that point.  When it's done you just collect the output and put it in inventory.  You can also take the input pile back out as well.
One thing I don't like is that you can't reclaim the material used to supply power.

The leftover fuel goes back into your inventory when you pick up the refiner. 

RattyUK
Trustee
@nalex66 summed it up rather well.  If you claim a ship your current one should remain in the same location (assuming you have less than 6 ships total) so you ca claim the ship, walk back to your arrival ship and board it.  Fly it back to base then use the recall menu (I really need a pic here!) to summon your other ship (it is the button with 4 ships on it) to your current location, then you can start work 🙂
I've hit over 200 hours over 3 saves...  It is a good game that brings you back to play...

nalex66
MVP
MVP

RattyUK said:

@bigmike20vt - you can summon your Freighter to you from anywhere, it doesn't require any fuel to do this. You only need fuel in the Freighter if you wish to jump it manually to a new destination, nice when the upgrades are done and it can jump many LY and not limited to systems of any particular star colour (as in the drives needed for your starships as you upgrade them.)

I didn’t realize freighters could jump to any star type. I just finished putting cadmium drives in two of my starships.