cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift keeps crashing, PC too under powered?

OcuclopsOni
Honored Guest
I'm very new to PC gaming, so please bear with me. I have Ryzen 7 2600x with an RTX 2070, 16GB ram. So far, my Rift S seems to not like it. I think.
I get maybe 20 minutes of gameplay, then a low prolonged beep, static, then all black. An orange light flickers in the headset, slow at first but then gets faster. After, I always get a message to update firmware. Then, everything seems ok, but after a few minutes gaming it repeats the whole process. 

I absolutely love the Rift, and this is my first introduction to VR. But after purchasing it two days ago and having to constantly deal with this, I'm getting very frustrated. Any advice or suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
8 REPLIES 8

TheOfficialPD
Explorer
I don't know if this will help you much but I can defiantly tell you how my first experience was when I tried setting up my Rift S. 

I first unopened the box. Connected it. Then tried to attempt to run it without the Oculus software. After that, I tried to painfully find the software driver for this device while downloading SteamVR. Then I would run the Oculus Rift S Software to apply updated firmware updates to the device which took about an hour or so. When that was done I believe it would ask for you to restart your computer. Then you would be done from there. Boot up your PC and bam, you're all set. If you use Steam, there were recently minor changes but mainly keep those software up to date to avoid those issues.

Your rig should be able to handle it. I wouldn't see why it will not. Unless it's the CPU compatibility requiring Intel instead of AMD, but I doubt that. 

My setup is Intel-i7 6700K, Geforce GTX 970, 32GB Corsair Ram, 1TB HDD.

OcuclopsOni
Honored Guest
thanks for the response. I am pretty up to date with firmware and updates. I am going back and forth with tech support, so hopefully it all works out. I really am enjoying my time with the headset when its playable. Would love to hold on to it, but would return it if it keeps acting up the next few days. 

RattyUK
Trustee
Not CPU - I can vouch for that!
Maybe USB - stuck record but...   Is USB Power Management set to not switch off to save power?  You can access either through power settings or Device Manager, all USB Hubs properies / Power Managment should be set to off.
The time before it crashes out could be simply that.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

OcuclopsOni
Honored Guest
After going back and forth with help, I was told that multiple USB errors kept popping up in the log that I was asked to send their way. After looking more into USB problems, uploadvr.com had an article on troubleshooting this. It was suggested to use the virtual link port that my graphics card has (not all gpu's have this, apparently. I was lucky enough to have one). Was able to play 2 full stages of Robo Recall so far without any issues. I was not able to go 2 minutes before. So, so relieved. 

Digikid1
Consultant
What brand/wattage is your power supply. 

OcuclopsOni
Honored Guest

Digikid1 said:

What brand/wattage is your power supply. 

Channel Well gps600s-g PSU
600 watts

OcuclopsOni
Honored Guest
Well. Damn. Now it keeps saying that the display port is not connected over and over. That is messing with the connection now. I'm thinking about giving up and just returning it. 

CBET-117
Honored Guest
Hi everybody, i have a temporal solution for the ones who keep getting the beep and static sound after several minutes playing... What i did was that i uninstalled the nvidia drivers, then, i updated the firmware and the usb controllers. xcf6bmqipdfg.pngOnce i did this, I just installed the 417.71 version of Nvidia Drivers ( From the official Nvidia page ). I restarted and everything is working fine now... I'v been playing for several hours without any beep, static and black screen crash.

PD: If you don't know where the device manager is, just press "Windos button + R" and then type "devmgmt.msc" without the quotation marks.