cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S One Lens Has Bad Focus

Eldraad
Protege
Just picked up the Rift S (drove a couple of Cities away to find it). The Right Lens seems to have a problem with Focus, from the middle of the lens to the far right. Changing the IPD (mine is approx 63.8) has no effect that I can see with the focus (blurriness). Adjusting the headset at an angle either direction still has the focus problem. Quite a bit of eye strain on the right half of the lens. I do wear glasses that are recent, but have tried the Rift S with and without the glasses and have the same problem. A friend tried it on and quickly mentioned the right eye was weird, not as much viewing space as the left. The clear plastic protectors had been removed from both eyes prior to setup, and the lens was carefully cleaned with a micro fiber cloth after the focus problem was noticed. No change.

I am VERY pleased with the Rift S otherwise, although my environment is too noisy for the sound system. The Colors are great and I can not believe how sharp the picture is! The Headband adjustment is very comfortable and keeps the headset stable. My rift CV1 started having multiple sound and controller issues, hence the Rift S and I would HATE to go back to the CV1 after trying the S.

Is there a setting somewhere that I missed? As stated The IPD seems to make no change from 58 -72 (thereabouts) where the focus on the right is concerned and I wonder if there is a possibility of a misaligned lens. I am still looking for the proper way to contact Oculus about this, advice would be welcome.
6 REPLIES 6

It's possible there's a defect with one of the Rift's lenses if someone else has tried it and finds the same issue.

The lenses are fixed in place so focus won't be affected by settings, only by moving the headset around on your face. The IPD adjustment with the S separates the images in each eye so that your eyes converge naturally but don't affect focus.

Just to check though... are your glasses for reading or long distance.. and are they varifocal? if you can see ok long distance then usually you wouldn't need to wear any glasses using the Rift. And varifocals would cause problems anyway because you're focusing at a single distance wherever you look in the headset.

I'd maybe try one more person and see if they also have a problem (without giving them a clue first just to be sure). And if they say the same, contact support for a replacement.

You can open a ticket here:

https://tickets.oculusvr.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

or use the live chat button that appears at the bottom-right of the screen

Eldraad
Protege
I thank you for your reply, DaftnDirect. The Glasses in use are for a set distance used for computer and workbench. The clarity in the Rift S with this pair is wonderful. My Driving/ Distance glasses do not work well (over compensated) which is odd as this is the type most people say to use. After the post my daughter had some friends try, one who can't do VR (gets motion sick easily) and her husband. The first said "wow, COOL!" then turned around too many times and had to have the HMD removed, Lol! She did not notice it in the few mins she wore the HMD. The Husband, after finding his best IPD thought it was a vast improvement over my CV1 but "could I clean the eye on this side"...then wanted to know what games I had and how many hours I spent in Skyrim Vr... (his jaw dropped). It seems it is more noticeable after several minutes.

When comparing a center point on both lens the left has more visible, in focus, territory to the outer edge of the lens than the right.
I mainly wanted to verify that I did not miss a step or a setting. After I found the Performance / Quality setting I thought there might be something else that was adjustable.

The Rift S was purchased from a popular electronics store a few cities over, and I was not sure if I could take it back there due to the issue (how to explain the problem and get a replacement if they even have one as this was last in store, or open a ticket and see about a fix...

ok, well if it is defective the store should refund or they return it to Oculus for replacement, the policy may vary depending on store.

One more thing to check would be any surface scratching on the lens... it's possible something happened at the factory prior to the protectors being applied. A close look at the lens surface under bright light should show if it's clear.

But yes, I would still open a ticket with Oculus as they would give you better advice on what the procedure should be for the store you bought it from if a replacement is necessary or if Oculus would deal with a replacement directly.

Eldraad
Protege
Thank you very much for your reply. I will contact the store first then , if needed, set the ticket with oculus...if the store gives me a run-around.

Hope it gets sorted quickly, let us now what happens.

Eldraad
Protege
VERY sorry about the late posting for resolution. I returned the HMD to the store as I still had several days left to do so (and access to a car).  After a LOT of questions and examinations they sent someone to get another unit.  The new unit had two micro specs of something hard under the protective film on one lens but that cleaned off easy. It was much easier to get the eyes in focus on the new unit so I suspect that the lens was either mounted at an slight angle or had bad focus. It does not have the larger sweet spot people talk about though and it takes a little while to get the best clarity. That head strap is a huge improvement over the CV1.  Get it right once and it does not need adjusting until you remove it and put it on again.

Thank you for all of the help you gave me!