cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup Installation

Bj24edrftcv
Honored Guest
I have the RIFT S and want to download the required software to my pc. My main C: drive is full with like pre-req stuff to make my computer function so I cant clean it off more or don't know how. I want to download the software to my 😧 drive but when doing the command prompt or method shown on the official setup page to change the download location nothing happens. I can type out whats needed in the RUN menu but when I press enter nothing actually happens. ALSO I get windows errors when trying to download vr Minecraft on my other computer :[
7 REPLIES 7

Richooal
Consultant
It's really disappointing that Oculus still haven't allowed drive choice in the install program.

I can't remember the last time I installed anything that didn't allow me to choose the location. (Oh, sorry, yes I can. July 2017 Oculus Set Up)
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Bj24edrftcv
Honored Guest

Richooal said:

It's really disappointing that Oculus still haven't allowed drive choice in the install program.

I can't remember the last time I installed anything that didn't allow me to choose the location. (Oh, sorry, yes I can. July 2017 Oculus Set Up)

I don't like putting my laptop under the stress of the vr experience for several hours at a time and since I can't get my desktop to download the program correctly im left with wanting to go get a vive.

Bj24edrftcv
Honored Guest
Any thoughts for solutions?

sford52
Heroic Explorer
Will this work?   (from https://support.oculus.com/1225089714318112/#faq_1142129705828091 )

To install the Oculus app on a different system drive:
    Press the Windows key + R to open the Run command
    Enter the following path: [drive]:\Downloads\OculusSetup /drive=[new system drive]
    - Replace [drive] with the letter of the drive where Oculus was downloaded to
    - Replace [new system drive] with the letter of the new drive you'd like to install Oculus to
    Ex: C:\Downloads\OculusSetup /drive=D or C:\Downloads\OculusSetup /drive:D
    Click OK
The Oculus app will then open and attempt to install the app on the new drive you've chosen.

If you are saying that these are the instructions you did follow then you have some other issue.

Perhaps your C: drive is too full and won't even download temporary files. To regain unused space, open Windows Explorer and right click on the C: drive. Select "Properties" from the bottom of them popup menu. Click on the "Disk Cleanup" button and the when the next pop up window appears click on "Clean up system files". This will clean off the unused, temporary, and misc file from your C: drive.  It will take a while. Plus, clear out your browser (history, cookies, etc) to regain space from your users folder.  There are third party utilities you can use as well, such as CCleaner which are good at reclaiming space. Out of curiosity, how much space is on your C: drive? (total and used)

Make sure you are typing the command C:\Downloads\OculusSetup /drive=D or C:\Downloads\OculusSetup /drive:D correctly. Any difference and it wont work. If it pops up an error window, what does the error window say?

ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home

Bj24edrftcv
Honored Guest

sford52 said:

Will this work?   (from https://support.oculus.com/1225089714318112/#faq_1142129705828091 )

To install the Oculus app on a different system drive:
    Press the Windows key + R to open the Run command
    Enter the following path: [drive]:\Downloads\OculusSetup /drive=[new system drive]
    - Replace [drive] with the letter of the drive where Oculus was downloaded to
    - Replace [new system drive] with the letter of the new drive you'd like to install Oculus to
    Ex: C:\Downloads\OculusSetup /drive=D or C:\Downloads\OculusSetup /drive:D
    Click OK
The Oculus app will then open and attempt to install the app on the new drive you've chosen.

If you are saying that these are the instructions you did follow then you have some other issue.

Perhaps your C: drive is too full and won't even download temporary files. To regain unused space, open Windows Explorer and right click on the C: drive. Select "Properties" from the bottom of them popup menu. Click on the "Disk Cleanup" button and the when the next pop up window appears click on "Clean up system files". This will clean off the unused, temporary, and misc file from your C: drive.  It will take a while. Plus, clear out your browser (history, cookies, etc) to regain space from your users folder.  There are third party utilities you can use as well, such as CCleaner which are good at reclaiming space. Out of curiosity, how much space is on your C: drive? (total and used)

Make sure you are typing the command C:\Downloads\OculusSetup /drive=D or C:\Downloads\OculusSetup /drive:D correctly. Any difference and it wont work. If it pops up an error window, what does the error window say?

Funny enough I did everything listed here beforehand. The instructions provided by oculus have no effect, my C: drive is far too full to download and I cant seem to delete anything from it that isn't required. I made just enough space on it to download all of the oculus stuff but then it proceeded to tell me there was an error with installation and to restart my computer. I did so and then had to go in to delete all the oculus files back off my C: drive. so I made about 24gb of space on my C: drive before installing it. AFTER installing it and my computer requiring a restart and me deleting the oculus data I was left with 18gb free space. so I lost 6gb of space to the aether. I have ccleaner and I did disk cleanup.   my C drive has 17.9GB of space open out of 103 GB of space total. MY 😧 drive has 646 gb of 1.8tb

Bj24edrftcv
Honored Guest
D : drive not 😧 drive

sford52
Heroic Explorer
Do you have any large files on C:, specifically hiberfil.sys or pagefile.sys ? If so, you can disable the pagefile or hibernate on C: long enough to regain that space. Just a temporary fix, but... Make sure your virus protection is off while you do the setup.
I'd like to see the message that results from the  C:\Downloads\OculusSetup /drive:D command.  Can you open an administrative command prompt window and run the command in that. You may need to run as administrative. Type cmd in the run window and it should give you option to run as administrator. Then we can at least see the results of the command.

ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home