Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S losing hand tracking and can't see through passthrough camera

Dapperlad
Protege
After setting up my Rift S this morning, I played for approximately
2 hours and ran into an issue in Beatsaber where my body movement was
not longer being tracked and I couldn't move my sticks anymore. I went back to the home screen and noticed that my hands were stuck to my side and all I could do was rotate my controllers in place. I was also unable to see anything through the passthrough camera as it was just static.

I've disabled USB 3.0 power management in Windows
I've
tried every USB 3.0 plug on my computer, the ones that do work now only
last for 30 seconds to 3 minutes before static screen comes back and I
lose tracking.
I've unplugged all others USB cables on my computer except keyboard and mouse.
Camera permissions are on for Windows 10
I've reseated the video cable in the headset itself.
Videocard Drivers are up to date
Windows 10 is completely up to date
Rift Firmware is up to date
I've reinstalled Oculus software and run the setup multiple times.

I've seen a few others on Reddit with the same problem. Is this a faulty batch of hardware here?
154 REPLIES 154

eromagosa
Explorer
Are you playing with enough lighting? I had the same problem, I could play for a few minutes and suddenly the tracking fail.
I have solved it by improving the lighting in the room.

antdemon
Honored Guest
same problem here... my rift s have only 3 days....

rednekcowboy77
Adventurer

eromagosa said:

Are you playing with enough lighting? I had the same problem, I could play for a few minutes and suddenly the tracking fail.
I have solved it by improving the lighting in the room.

This, anyone coming from the original Rift, you cannot play in a dark room at all.  You need lighting for the Rift-S.

For those that doesn't work.  uninstall the Oculus software. Then you need to go into Device Manager and uninstall (and check the box to delete the drivers) the superhub usb 3.0 driver, go into appdata and delete anything to do with Oculus. Restart the PC and then redo the setup 

Flybel
Honored Guest
So, I have my Rift S for a few weeks as well and from the start I had this issue (suddenly my positional tracking for head and controllers is gone, I can only rotate and passthrough only shows noise/snow). I had my Rift connected to a USB 3 port on my motherboard.
However now I have plugged the USB cable of the HMD in my external USB 3 hub which has its own power supply, and the issue never occurred again (tested in the last few days with quite a few hours of usage).

So apparently the issue is indeed power-related (as was suggested above by multiple people), and anything with a "dedicated" power supply should be able to fix the issue (USB hubs with external power supply or PCIe cards with a SATA power connector). 

And to everyone that has written stuff like not enough lighting or inside-out tracking sucks, no, inside-out tracking is great and achieves just what it tries to achieve and we are talking about an issue that is even known to Oculus (check this: https://support.oculus.com/294426521446490/ it says "we are working on software updates").

Anonymous
Not applicable
Which USB hubs or PCIe cards are you using and are working to fix the issue? Any tips/brands/numbers?

The losing tracking is making me go nuts -_-

Epic_Potato
Honored Guest
I had this problem for a while to fix it i used the virtual link port on my gpu with a usb c adapter and it seemed to fix the problem. here's a list of gpu's that have it.https://uploadvr.com/every-virtuallink-gpu/ 

ScaryMonstas
Honored Guest
Guys I had this exact issue and I fixed it by using a usb c adaptor and plugging rift to virtual link in gpu directly, now I know not everyone is gonna have this port on the gpu but if you do it solves the power issues, at least for me. My rift has not lost tracking since. I had all issues of tracking loss before but now no problems. Hope it helps some of you at least. I have rtx 2060 super gaming oc from gigabyte I mention because it might make a difference as this one uses more power than regular rtx2060 super. 

Prototype_A
Honored Guest
same problem for me. it seems that it is a compatibility problem between rift s and usb port which used drivers from amd. i have bought a pcie to usb 3.0 card and hoping that will help.

Prototype_A
Honored Guest
Believe or not. As i install my pcie to usb card , the headset worked perfectly and since that the tracking issues never show up again! I asked one of my friend who fix vr headset for life and he told my that oculcus  always has a compatibility with usb ports use AMD chip-set.(i am using b450 as my motherboard ) i hope this message can help.

Chichowalker
Honored Guest
Not solved for me. I have muy rift connected to my rtx 2080 usb C conector and when I start Oculus home my controllers works only during 5 to 10 seconds, then, suddenly stop working Frozen in their last posit. Each time that I reset Oculus service start working again during another 10 seconds. Always the same behaviour. I have also tried connecting to USB 3.1 from motherboard and also to my usb 3.0 hub with external power supply. Same behaviour