cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I got an MSI tri fan 2080ti 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Sorry but why does Reverb seem to keep popping up in this Index thread lately?  Maybe because there is so little luv in the Reverb thread?  Just asking.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I own an Index and now a Reverb so I am making a quickie comparison here. Considering my post pertains to the Index, it's relevant to this thread. I have not used the knuckles with the Reverb but apparently there is a way to make that happen. 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer

I own an Index and now a Reverb so I am making a quickie comparison here. Considering my post pertains to the Index, it's relevant to this thread. I have not used the knuckles with the Reverb but apparently there is a way to make that happen. 

Do you mind trying it out and leaving a comment on usability pls?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Not much happening today - but a new SteamVR Beta release:

SteamVR Beta Updated - 1.8.2
The SteamVR beta has been updated with the following changes.

If you encounter issues with this update, please post in the 
SteamVR Bug Report forum. If possible, please include a system report to aid in tracking down your issue. Replies to this post are not tracked for bug reporting purposes. Please use the forum linked above to report issues.

SteamVR:
  • When apps stop providing frames, fade to grid logic now continues reprojecting the last game frame as long as the user does not move their head too far from the position of that frame.
  • Added per-app setting for disabling async reprojection. This is the same functionality that was previously toggled via Shift+A in the old mirror window or via the async_mode_toggle debug command.
  • Fixed position of the callout end of the lines in binding callouts.
  • Improve responsiveness of sound and notification accompanying a screenshot (reminder: default binding is chording system + trigger). The actual screenshot has always been (and remains) almost instant at the moment of hitting the button, but now the feedback is snappier.
  • Fix the screenshot notification icon.
  • Fixed CEF rendering issue in mixed gpu environments.
  • Added idle image to docked VR View when headset is in standby or otherwise not tracking.
  • Fix Base Station 2.0 update recovery UI not initially appearing in the Beta when the user starts with Base Station Settings window open unless they changed to a different Settings window and back to refresh it.

Compositor:

Chaperone:
  • In IVRChaperoneSetup, fix ShowWorkingSetPreview() blocking CommitWorkingCopy(). Now calling CommitWorkingCopy() will commit and exit the “preview” state.
  • When a process that calls ShowWorkingSetPreview() exits before hiding or committing, automatically apply HideWorkingSetPreview().
  • The working chaperone set limitation on distance from origin is extended to 40km to allow for redirected walking applications. Note that at 40km, limitations of single precision floating point mean that the smallest distance increment that can be expressed is about 5mm. Users may see unexpected behavior from apps. The limitation of 1km on saving and loading is unchanged. Applications implementing redirected walking should use ShowWorkingSetPreview() for the duration of the redirected walking session. There are several system events that should be observed in that case. For extended discussion, see this thread: https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/3/1633040337767100476/

SteamVR Input:
  • Fixed the “changed” bit as reported to applications that call GetDigitalActionData or GetAnalogActionData more than once per frame for a given action.
  • Fixed priority on active action sets. This wasn’t properly suppressing haptics, and it wasn’t properly suppressing input when the lower priority action set used a complex button.
  • Added support for returning gamepad and treadmill bindings with the HMD.

Dashboard:
  • Stopped showing the laser pointer when the pointing device is the HMD. The laser intersection blob will still be shown.
  • Click on anything other than a panel will now dismiss the dashboard.
  • Changed the default bindings for HMDs with buttons (Vive, Vive Pro, and Index) to allow navigation of the dashboard using only the HMD button. The new bindings are: 
    • Single click – Show dashboard
    • Single click – Laser mouse click
    • HMD pose – Laser pointer

Linux:
  • Fixed async reprojection hitches and stutters. Thanks everyone that submitted gpuvis traces to our bug tracker.
  • Improved performance on low end systems.
  • Fix inverted input in vrwebhelper.
  • Fix vrwebhelper launching multiple instances of vrwebhelper.
  • Fix various vrwebhelper crashes.
  • Enable vrwebhelper by default. Set STEAMVR_WEBHELPER=0 to force disable if you encounter any issues.
  • Fix IPCMutexUnlockRobust crashes.
  • Added a workaround for drivers reporting impossible frame timings. Radv users are encouraged to update their driver as outlined here: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/SteamVR-for-Linux/issues/226

Oculus
  • Controller tracking valid state is now passed through to applications. This will cause untracked controllers to eventually change their state and disappear rather than freezing in place permanently.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
District Steel is still alive, but release date is unknown, latest news from the devs:
Hey guys, thanks for sticking around and excuse me for my late reply. District Steel is still in development, but because it is our first game project, we keep running into many technical difficulties. Bit by bit things are coming together, but I don't want to release something that is buggy and gives people a bad experience, as the initial impression of a game is very important. As for the release date, I'm afraid I can't give an indication at this time, until things smooth out. I hope this gives some insight, if you have any questions feel free to ask.
From Dec 2018 - gameplay (game's still listed as only supporting Index & Vive):

https://youtu.be/Z2oYnq_O4FU

oglcjtro9dnh.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

TragicDelight
Protege

RuneSR2 said:

Feels like the real beginning of VR, the previous 3 years were just a warm-up, lol.

The 3 past years were Iron Man mark 1 and 2. Basically VR jr starting to mature and grow. Soon The headsets will say around Pimax visuals with Index sound and comfort and they will be improving peripherals like the HaptX gloves and Woojer Vest. Maybe even Vibrating sneakers for VR that have Haptic feedback when walking in game or jumping, explosions shaking the ground, etc.etc..

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Rune District Steel looks neat but that game play seems alittle clunky.

Tragic delight I already use  Kor Fx haptic vest. ( I highly recomend )
Even in flight sims on my 3dof rig with buttkickers on all 4 quadrants having your chest rumble when you really push the engines is amazing.
Pretty neat for shooters also.
WAAAGH!

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
When you enter into the large space station in Elite Dangerous with the HP Reverb, you just know that is the resolution that VR needs to be at. Before it was just jaggies and a blur to me, but that's when I had a jaw drop moment. Before I couldn't wait to get out of that station because of jaggies and blur, but here I was just looking around it and taking it all in.
I felt the same with DCS World. Seeing the runway on approach really clear instead of just a blur in the distance is what I was waiting for in VR. Then I tried Fallout 4 and I could go on and on 🙂
Would be good to hear if Shadowmask can get the base stations working with knuckles. I don't think I could settle for Vive wands without the thumb sticks. I just wish someone would make something that tracked controllers regardless of the VR headset you use.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

The Vanishing Realms expansion The Sundered Rift has now arrived - it's $12 and requires the original game - so about $30 if you need to purchase both:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1082250/Vanishing_Realms_The_Sundered_Rift/

xkb0mbscbxpp.jpg
vty3kq0sy0h3.jpg
vs2qapha7fus.jpg
sxn4t57tah42.jpg
zyx43r6t83o2.jpg
uchxff11wimo.jpg
tfihea8kc1d9.jpg
dycfhxokltl2.jpg

Vanishing Realms is now 30% off:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/322770/Vanishing_Realms/

Unfortunately the important add-on The Sundered Rift is still full price, and you need both to get access to The Sundered Rift. Although I spend about 10-15 hours in VR every week, I'm way behind playing The Sundered Rift, but this game requires a lot of time to play. Often it's easier just to get my fix in Hellsplit or Until You Fall, lol. But The Sundered Rift is close to my favorite game using Index.

Here's The Sundered Rift using the Index:

https://youtu.be/FzZtVMz7UFs