cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O. Quest: Room tracking issues / the guardian moves with head movements

JohanTEAswe
Expert Protege
Hi.

I've been a Quest user since the launch in May and have not had any major problems with nausea but lately I have had real issues and get nauseous doing even comfortable things.

I think I have an idea why this is. My gyro seem to "misbehave" and the room tracking moves slightly along with my head for the gyro parts.
To reproduce my problem:

1. Start your Oculus Quest
2. Set up room-scale VR and make sure you have good lighting.
3. Step outside of the guardian area and look at the Guardian boundaries.
4. Hold your head still and take a step backwards or forwards => The guardian is stable = OK
5. Hold your head still and take a step to the left or the right => The guardian is stable = OK
6. Stand still and tilt your head to look up => The guardian boundaries moves considerably = Not ok!
7. Stand still and move your head to look to either left or the right => The guardian boundaries moves considerably = Not ok!

I think the gyro integration with the room tracking (the 3DOF part) have some major issue.
Either it's a bug (considering the movement behaviour I'd say it is), my device is broken or the gyro in it need calibration.

Can anyone else reproduce this behaviour or is it only my device that have this issue?
11 REPLIES 11

JohanTEAswe
Expert Protege

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hey @JohanTEA, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I just tried to reproduce your issue but didn't get the same behaviour. The Guardian boundaries remained in place when I moved my head so I don't believe this is likely a bug. Could you please contact support at https://support.oculus.com so we can look into this for you? Thanks! -Rick
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

JohanTEAswe
Expert Protege
Ok, bummer for me.

I did a factory reset but it didn't help.
Is there a way to calibrate or reset the gyro?

KeithTheEditor
Honored Guest
Same.thing happened to me.   I.bought a quest on game day and it worked beautifully. Only issue was there was glue on the inside of my lens.  I got it replaced though warranty in July and that device had this same issue with the guardian moving with my head!   I went back and forth with customer service and they just sent me another replacement.  I get it today.  It was nice to see someone else having g the same issue.   

JohanTEAswe
Expert Protege
great not being alone in this 🙂
I also get mine replaced now. a new Quest is on the way from Oculus. hopefully the new unit doesn't have this issue.

JohanTEAswe
Expert Protege
I got my new quest yesterday. It is better but not 100% I think it's a basic Quest behaviour and hopefully it will be better in future updates.

SteveG7RTA
Heroic Explorer
Hi Johan, have they sent you a new headset or a refurbished one? I know when they replace Rifts they usually send refurbished ones.
just tried to reproduce it myself but it doesn’t do it.

JohanTEAswe
Expert Protege
@SteveG7RTA Good question. I don't know. The new Quest I got looks new, came in new packaging and says that it s produced 8/2019 so I think it's new. But it's no guarantee. It had a smudge on one lens that makes me think it might be refurbished. Overall it is much better than my previous at least. I had a bunch of different issues with my original unit.

itzkayla610
Honored Guest
i have the same problem every time i move my head my roomscale moves but when i go to my living room its perfectly fine just not with my room. Kinda annoying because I don't want to always play downstairs