New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Have you connected with people in VR?

MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,859 Valuable Player
I think the greatest untapped potential of VR is for connecting with people. My favorite VR experience is playing From Other Suns in a group of 3. I visited one guys Oculus Home and talking to him in VR was really cool. Also, had fun playing Star Trek Bridge Crew with people. 

I haven't used VR Chat yet. 

One big issue is I don't think that Oculus or Valve have created a way for VR gamers to easily connect and play together. Thus the untapped potential of people from all over the world meeting and connecting in a virtual space is left unfulfilled. 

What has been your experience connecting with people in VR? Do you have any friend you've made in VR? 
i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,067 Valuable Player
    I myself have not, and really not much interested. I am pretty much a single player guy anyway.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • pjennesspjenness Posts: 691
    Neo
    edited September 2019
    Couple years back I was developing a  social network in VR experiment  app (kinda like altspace I guess)  .  A few of the old school crew here helps me test it. @Zenbane in particular was some one that hung out and chatted all things VR and Web Applications with in it.   @Nalex66   Shrogg and quite a few back then.

So yes.
    But in that was for a specific case (app develeopment with people from this forum)...in terms of actually making new random friends in things like altspace, big screen  etc, not so much..

-P

PS..this is as far as I got...then kinda ran out of time energy:

Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical

Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS?
    https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,859 Valuable Player
    dburne said:
    I myself have not, and really not much interested. I am pretty much a single player guy anyway.
    I wonder if the kind of people who are attracted to VR are also the kind of people who are more introverted and less interested in connecting with others. 

I'm relatively introverted. I remember chatting with people in Big Screen but it felt very awkward. 

Probably the most social game I play is Echo Combat. It's a lot of fun. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,206 Volunteer Moderator
    I can’t say that I’ve met a lot of people in VR, but I have met up in VR with some of the forum regulars. From Other Suns was fun, and the Dead and Buried Quick Draw tournament was a good time. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,589 Valuable Player
    edited September 2019
    MowTin said:
    dburne said:
    I wonder if the kind of people who are attracted to VR are also the kind of people who are more introverted and less interested in connecting with others. 

I'm relatively introverted. I remember chatting with people in Big Screen but it felt very awkward. 

Probably the most social game I play is Echo Combat. It's a lot of fun. 

Much the same here - I use VR to become immersed in new worlds, also to get experiences I wouldn't appreciate in the real world, like Adrift, lol. I'm social in the real world, I'm not looking for it in VR. Also saw some multiplayer RPGs not long ago filled with young teenagers (or kids) - hanging out with young kids/teenagers in VR would totally ruin the experience and immersion to me. Thus first we need age-restrictions, like no one below 25 (or 30) years of age allowed to enter...
    Being active in this forum gotta count for something ;)  
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,879 Valuable Player
    nalex66 said:
    I can’t say that I’ve met a lot of people in VR, but I have met up in VR with some of the forum regulars. From Other Suns was fun, and the Dead and Buried Quick Draw tournament was a good time. 
     Yep, these were some fun times. I haven't met up with many people in VR lately though. That was all during the early days. I really enjoyed hosting those D&B Tournaments, and the FOS runs were badass! Playing BattleZone with @CrashFu was great too.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    MowTin said:

One big issue is I don't think that Oculus or Valve have created a way for VR gamers to easily connect and play together. Thus the untapped potential of people from all over the world meeting and connecting in a virtual space is left unfulfilled.

Not sure why you think this. We can all hang out in each others homes in VR. And Oculus gave us Teams with D&B back in 2017:

There are plenty of people in the Oculus Venues events, although I tend to do the Private Theater myself.

If you think about multiplayer gaming in general, there are usually two types of extremes:
    • Anti-Social (playing single player experiences only)
    • Annoyingly Social (online trolls)
    For the rest of us who are somewhat normal and tolerable, we tend to host private group sessions to avoid the general public and all their annoyances.

The problem isn't that Valve or Oculus haven't made this easy. That's far from true. The problem is that people prefer to game alone or in private groups.
  • DTHDTH Posts: 258
    Nexus 6
    If you add a poll this I would be Anti-Social.   Tried echo arena a few times but young kids going around causing then they going somewhere and laffing about it.    So I just do my one thing and very happy with it.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    I tried Star Trek BC once and joined a game but just couldn't bring myself to chat and left. Not shy in the RW but for some reason I'm shy in VR and have never chatted.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,589 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    I tried Star Trek BC once and joined a game but just couldn't bring myself to chat and left. Not shy in the RW but for some reason I'm shy in VR and have never chatted.
    Same here - it kinda feels strange and takes away the focus on the game. When playing multiplayer games I'm normally with friends in the same room.
    In Fortnite, my son has no problems speaking English with people he doesn't know - he's 11 years old, lol. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,895 Valuable Player
    I have met plenty of people in VR.  I primarily use steam.  I end up playing a game like Onward a lot and I get into a lot of matches with familiar faces I play with alot, then randomly I get friend requests on steam from some of those people.  It seems to happen no matter what game it is, if I see someone on a game on a regular basis and they see me, they just send a friend request.  I play with a few people that are awesome that I met that way.
    Techy111 said:

You need to come meet up with me and nalex sometime. We talked and laughed for 3 hours straight during From Other Suns.
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 658
    Neo
    Star Trek Bridge Crew was great, had a lot of fun in that game, but it is a pity that a studio like Ubsoft got the licence and without forethought locked it behind VR, which was at the time of its launch a very niche platform, then they opened it up to normal 2d players, but by that time the damage was done.........when what they should have done was the opposite and launch as a 2d title with VR support.......such a missed oppertunity.

Oh and being from Glasgow i have one rule, you can ask for a whole hour, but you get one Scotty line and that is your lot.  lol

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    Zenbane said:
    Techy111 said:

You need to come meet up with me and nalex sometime. We talked and laughed for 3 hours straight during From Other Suns.
    Ok let me know a date in the future and I'll give it a whirl ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• Nekto2Nekto2 Posts: 279
    Nexus 6
    MowTin said:
    I'll agree.
    There should be a lobby independent of game title. And a way to schedule a game session with total strangers for less popular games.
    It is not comfortable to add people as a "friend" just to play with them onece in a while. But if you could schedule "tomorrow at 2:00 PT I want to play From Other Suns" then some strangers could join you.
    It would be cool to have game based list of people you like to play with (or dislike to play with) in this game only. It could be different for other game. That will not be ban/friend list. But will increase possibility for you to match the same game session (or decrease).
  • Nekto2Nekto2 Posts: 279
    Nexus 6
    DTH said:
    If you add a poll this I would be Anti-Social.   Tried echo arena a few times but young kids going around causing then they going somewhere and laffing about it.    So I just do my one thing and very happy with it.
    You need to have some level to join older players. Or use "private match" with friends.
    Try to join at different time of day.