cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you connected with people in VR?

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I think the greatest untapped potential of VR is for connecting with people. My favorite VR experience is playing From Other Suns in a group of 3. I visited one guys Oculus Home and talking to him in VR was really cool. Also, had fun playing Star Trek Bridge Crew with people. 

I haven't used VR Chat yet. 

One big issue is I don't think that Oculus or Valve have created a way for VR gamers to easily connect and play together. Thus the untapped potential of people from all over the world meeting and connecting in a virtual space is left unfulfilled. 

What has been your experience connecting with people in VR? Do you have any friend you've made in VR? 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2
17 REPLIES 17

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I tried Star Trek BC once and joined a game but just couldn't bring myself to chat and left. Not shy in the RW but for some reason I'm shy in VR and have never chatted.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Techy111 said:

I tried Star Trek BC once and joined a game but just couldn't bring myself to chat and left. Not shy in the RW but for some reason I'm shy in VR and have never chatted.

Same here - it kinda feels strange and takes away the focus on the game. When playing multiplayer games I'm normally with friends in the same room.
In Fortnite, my son has no problems speaking English with people he doesn't know - he's 11 years old, lol. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

falken76
Expert Consultant
I have met plenty of people in VR.  I primarily use steam.  I end up playing a game like Onward a lot and I get into a lot of matches with familiar faces I play with alot, then randomly I get friend requests on steam from some of those people.  It seems to happen no matter what game it is, if I see someone on a game on a regular basis and they see me, they just send a friend request.  I play with a few people that are awesome that I met that way.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Techy111 said:

You need to come meet up with me and nalex sometime. We talked and laughed for 3 hours straight during From Other Suns.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
Star Trek Bridge Crew was great, had a lot of fun in that game, but it is a pity that a studio like Ubsoft got the licence and without forethought locked it behind VR, which was at the time of its launch a very niche platform, then they opened it up to normal 2d players, but by that time the damage was done.........when what they should have done was the opposite and launch as a 2d title with VR support.......such a missed oppertunity.

Oh and being from Glasgow i have one rule, you can ask for a whole hour, but you get one Scotty line and that is your lot.  lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Techy111
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

Techy111 said:

You need to come meet up with me and nalex sometime. We talked and laughed for 3 hours straight during From Other Suns.

Ok let me know a date in the future and I'll give it a whirl 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Nekto2
Superstar

MowTin said:

One big issue is I don't think that Oculus or Valve have created a way for VR gamers to easily connect and play together. Thus the untapped potential of people from all over the world meeting and connecting in a virtual space is left unfulfilled. 

I'll agree.

There should be a lobby independent of game title. And a way to schedule a game session with total strangers for less popular games.

It is not comfortable to add people as a "friend" just to play with them onece in a while. But if you could schedule "tomorrow at 2:00 PT I want to play From Other Suns" then some strangers could join you.

It would be cool to have game based list of people you like to play with (or dislike to play with) in this game only. It could be different for other game. That will not be ban/friend list. But will increase possibility for you to match the same game session (or decrease).

Nekto2
Superstar

DTH said:

If you add a poll this I would be Anti-Social.   Tried echo arena a few times but young kids going around causing then they going somewhere and laffing about it.    So I just do my one thing and very happy with it.

You need to have some level to join older players. Or use "private match" with friends.

Try to join at different time of day.