cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disturbing trend in the Oculus store

Ender772
Protege
So I am noticing a disturbing trend within the Oculus store. Games seem to be released at full price at a demo-like state. These "full" games usually only have the bare minimum requirements to be considered a game. Is 1 level a game. No matter how good that 1 level is it is can it really be a game? So what happens? Demo-like games get released at full price and they only get updates and more content if enough people bought that game...This is setting up to be an avalanche and I cant be the only one who notices.
39 REPLIES 39

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Can you name some games that do this? I haven't bought every game on the store, but I can't say that I've experienced this with anything I've bought on the Quest store.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Ender772
Protege
Fishing, angry birds...beatsaber even..the racquet game, the ping pong game, seriously every game is demo length how have you not noticed..???

Ender772
Protege
You  work for them dony you?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ender772 said:

You  work for them dony you?

Not he doesnt. But they are not "demo" length - not even beat-saber - unless you are playing the demo versions some how? Also, even though I love to see longer base games - the problem is these games just seem less play time than what is usually out there for 2D or 3D work because of time table base. Games made for VR usually take more resources/time to create then tradition games. Even then - tradition games were not that long either only really lasting 4-5 hours worth of game play. Most demos can be finish in 30mins or less - only reason they take longer is because of a learning curve such as a puzzle or a game feature/design.

Ender772
Protege
Sheesh...Beatsaber only had like 20 songs on it when it was released..with no way of getting more..only after enough people complained did it rise in number of songs...but guess what...if no one complains nothing gets done...Now do you want to help me or do you want to help them scam kids.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Ender772 said:

Fishing, angry birds...beatsaber even..the racquet game, the ping pong game, seriously every game is demo length how have you not noticed..???

I’m sorry, which of those games has only one level?

Beat Saber has the same content as the PCVR version; 20 songs that can be played in campaign or solo mode, several difficulty levels and game modifiers, global leaderboards, without even considering the DLC song packs that add more of the above. I’ve put dozens of hours into it, and haven’t touched all the content or DLCs yet. You may not care for it, but it’s one of the highest rated VR games on any platform.

You might find some less polished or unfinished VR games on an uncurated platform like Steam, but I don’t see how you can really level the same complaint against the Quest store. 

ElusiveMarlin
Rising Star
Have you tried Skyrim VR?
I've ploughed in over 200 hours and am probably only 25% of the way through!!
This is a BIG game!

"Short" games on the store usually state that they are "Early access" so you know that it is only a level or two, but then on release you get the rest of the game for free.
RIFT CV1
RIFT S
Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ender772 said:

Sheesh...Beatsaber only had like 20 songs on it when it was released..with no way of getting more..only after enough people complained did it rise in number of songs...but guess what...if no one complains nothing gets done...Now do you want to help me or do you want to help them scam kids.

I'm sorry, what? No one is scamming anyone. But if you don't understand how business works - then you should take some classes. A company has to make a little money off their products or else why create the next installment or pay their workers a fair wage? That's one of key problems places like China faces today because no one is paid fair for their work witch causes other issues around the world. The increase song count because people love the game - but you also have to understand their total sales were not match to the growth of the game either. Once more people bought the game - this allow them to increase the song list later down the road because they could afford to do so. More or less they didn't have to give out more - but they did - witch is great. But you also need song license - so DLC is created - for 1 allow the company to use the song in their game/content and 2 for the work that has to happen to make it work for the content. 

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Have you tried Skyrim VR?
I've ploughed in over 200 hours and am probably only 25% of the way through!!
This is a BIG game!

"Short" games on the store usually state that they are "Early access" so you know that it is only a level or two, but then on release you get the rest of the game for free.

I was assuming he was specifically complaining about games on the Quest store, since this was posted in the Quest subforum. I could understand a general complaint that too many VR games are early access, but the Quest store has none of that.