New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Need to move Oculus Rift game files to M.2 NVME, main EVO SSD is getting full.

Will moving just Game Files to M.2 work?
What is the best way?

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,332 Valuable Player
    edited September 2019
    Will moving just Game Files to M.2 work?
    What is the best way?
    Yes, you can just set up a new location in the Oculus desktop app and then move games to the new location. I have 4 locations on my rig, it works flawlessly.
    Note that you need to move the games from inside the Oculus desktop app. Just click on a game, then you get a small menu - now select "move" and choose the new location/drive.

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • sford52sford52 Posts: 179
    Art3mis
    edited September 2019
    See https://support.oculus.com/177556682988320/ for complete instructions

One note - when I moved my favorite game (Lone Echo) from one library to a new library (using the method in the link above), it didn't move my saved data. I had to copy that directory (_local) manually myself, from a backed location (usb drive z:\Oculus Apps\Software\ready-at-dawn-lone-echo\_local\) to the new location E:\Oculus Apps2\Software\ready-at-dawn-lone-echo so there was a new, fully populated directory E:\Oculus Apps2\Software\ready-at-dawn-lone-echo\_local.  I don't know where other games/apps store their local user data but if it is under the game/app itself you may have to move it yourself.

I think (if i remember) the move will completely delete the directory from the original drive, including any user data

ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home