New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S : Saccades/stuttering when switching between ASW Oculus Mode and 80 FPS (and vice versa)

Hello,

Before I did not have the problem, because my graphics settings meant that my PC was always in ASW Oculus mode, 100% of the time.

I have revised down my graphics and I am very satisfied, but .......

Now my PC is constantly oscillating between ASW Oculus mode and 80 FPS.

(As a reminder, the normal mode when you do not touch the Oculus Debug Tool on the ASW is AUTO, I leave it in AUTO.)

When the PC oscillates between the ASW Oculus mode and 80 FPS, there is almost always one or more extremely annoying saccades/stuttering.

Except the game in ASW Oculus mode and in 80 FPS mode is very fluid/smooth, it is really when it passes from one to the other that there are these saccades/stuttering, giving an impression of non-fluidity/not smooth at times,  while it should be fluid/smooth.

NOTE

I have always noticed this phenomenon :

- With or without overckocking
- With strong and low CPU load (60 IA VS 0 IA)
- Always temperatures well below max temperatures

I'm 95% sure it's an Oculus problem BUT I CAN BE WRONG.

I wish you to relate your experiences and that you bring me your advice.

Thank you !

Sorry for English, I did my best.
And the translation of google translate is never very good !

Tagged:

Comments

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,136
    Wintermute
    That's not something new and not belong to you only. I have the same behavior with my legacy Rift from day one, and it impact, I believe, everyone. The switch between no ASW and ASW ON create this stutter in any case and in both ways. Probably hard to avoid for the devs technically speaking. That's why some chose to lock ASW ON or to lower graphical options to always stay in native screen frequency, ASW off...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.5GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• dadaboomdadadaboomda Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    YoLolo69 said:
    That's not something new and not belong to you only. I have the same behavior with my legacy Rift from day one, and it impact, I believe, everyone. The switch between no ASW and ASW ON create this stutter in any case and in both ways. Probably hard to avoid for the devs technically speaking. That's why some chose to lock ASW ON or to lower graphical options to always stay in native screen frequency, ASW off...
    Thank you for that answer.

I hope this stuttering will be optimized by Oculus.