cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift-S Controllers Lag in Grip Release

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

When I close my grip on my Rift-S touch controller (last 3 fingers) and hold it for a second or two, then release, there is quite a bit of lag before they open again.  The right controller seems worse than the left.  My old Rift cv1 did not have any lag.  The problem is when you are in a game and try to grip something, then throw it, the lag causes it to either stick to your hand or weakly go offline.  Hopefully this is just another tracking issue that will soon be fixed with an update.  Tracking lag and screen flashing are my only complaints with my Rift-S so far.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers
225 REPLIES 225

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@kojack - Yes, if people tested this, I assume it would be easier for Oculus to know what's causing it would it not? Have you got any idea without these tests what could be causing it? People mostly say removing the Oculus controllers covers stops this so what's you thoughts on that?

Hippakaveri
Honored Guest
Same issue here. Taking the battery lid cover off fixes it. Also noticed that if I just slightly press the battery lid just bellow the buttons with my thumb, it helps too, but thats not a very ergonomic way to hold the controller :lol:

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same problem here. I believe a possible explanation is that the spring on the negative side of the battery loses its strength over time from doing very hard fast movements (ex: throwing a punch.) This causes the positive side of the battery to no longer have a tight strong connection against the contact. This has been reported in a lot of forums for boxing games. It does seem like this problem has only recently started occurring in mass though so maybe an update or firmware upgrade changed something with the amount of power that is drawn from the controller battery.

In any case there is a solution that works for me....  Fold up a tiny piece of tin foil and stuff it in between the positive side of the battery and the connector. This will improve the contact and give less room for the battery to move inside the controller. Its perfectly safe to do this and is a common workaround to worn our or damaged battery compartments.

This never happened with the CV1. Lenovo cut every corner they could when they took over hardware production. Unfortunately we don't get what we paid for. Hopefully we won't have to start using chewing gum to hold things together.

Hippakaveri
Honored Guest
Strangely enough my grip lag went away for no apparent reason, guess I should be happy now :lol:
I did take away the batteries, re-paired the controllers and did the whole setup again, but I'm pretty sure that I tested the controllers after every step and they didn't work. Then as I was doing some work related stuff with the headset I suddenly noticed that the grip was working as it should. 

lensmandave
Superstar
Yep, grip lag has been fixed for me for several weeks now, I guess the updates have sorted it.
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

kovaloid
Honored Guest
I have another issue with the grip buttons. Can someone please tell me, are the grip buttons touch sensitive like trigger, thumbsticks, etc?
Coz my aren't for some reason ;(
I've checked in SteamVR controller bindings page - it detects only pressed state, but not touch. Also my controllers displayed as a gen 1 controllers (from CV1) and not the new one (from Rift S/Quest)