New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift-S Controllers Lag in Grip Release

1234568»

Comments

• Stevenugent83Stevenugent83 Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    kojack said:
    Actually the values without covers change a lot more than that. I got my right controller up to 0.15 as the lowest value by rotating the battery. The values also change based on the direction you are holding the controller (might be my hand, but seemed orientation based, maybe due to magnetic fields from my pc/monitor).
    I held a controller (without cover) near a magnet, the non-pulled value jumped to 0.7.

None of that is unexpected for things like hall effect sensors, it's just how Oculus deal with the values that's unknown.

Whatever the answer, it's not "WEAK PCs". :)

All of us with functioning brain cells knew that grip lag wasn't caused by our specs. Lol. 

• lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 349
    Trinity
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Could the Type of AA battery you are using have an effect?
    That's an interesting point. I use Panasonic eneloop rechargeable cells and don't have the release problem.
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • Redlightning7777Redlightning7777 Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    RedRizla said:
    The "LAG" people are experiencing is LAG from the WEAK PCs they own.
    Well if that's the case then can you explain how removing the controller covers fixes the problem for some people? How does removing the Oculus controller covers make a Pc WEAK as you put it?
    Exactly. Always one idiot that refuses to acknowledge there is actually a problem. 
    Just like the people that refuse to believe that removing the covers helps a lot of us (which it does.) Meaning it's clearly partly hardware based. 
    Got a video of the issue happening in 'rainbow reactor' 

I'm only able to 'drop a ball' or miss 5 times. 

lost the rounds in a minute. 

Took the battery cover off..  got through the next round round with flying colors. 

RedRizla said:
    Well if that's the case then can you explain how removing the controller covers fixes the problem for some people? How does removing the Oculus controller covers make a Pc WEAK as you put it?

Dassa73 said:
    1.41prc doesn't address the issue.

Users can test for themselves: Open Medium, Quill, or any other drawing/painting app. Draw a fairly quick line, paying attention to where you release the trigger. How much delay is there before the line ends? That's how much lag you're experiencing between trigger release and the Oculus recognizing your input.
    3700x, 2070 super, 32gb ram and just got grip lag again yesterday. 
    It certainly isn't my computer causing it. 

I'm glad someone has it with a 2070 (well not glad.. but you know)..   as I was wondering how it would be with a 20xx series 

• Dassa73Dassa73 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Could the Type of AA battery you are using have an effect?
    That's an interesting point. I use Panasonic eneloop rechargeable cells and don't have the release problem.
    I use Panasonic Eneloop rechargeable batteries and DO have the release problem.
    Brain Burst
    edited September 2019
    I'm seriously thinking that this just might be in the code. 

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here however.   Oculus wants to replace my two controllers.. 

However from posts within this thread, people have done that already and were not even guaranteed new controllers, and the problem was still persistent. 

What the heck do I do . 

Go without controllers for however long it takes to perhaps not get the issue fixed?.. or rest on the hope that Oculus gets on the ball and verifies and fixes the issue?

• Stevenugent83Stevenugent83 Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here however.   Oculus wants to replace my two controllers.. 

However from posts within this thread, people have done that already and were not even guaranteed new controllers, and the problem was still persistent. 

What the heck do I do . 

Go without controllers for however long it takes to perhaps not get the issue fixed?.. or rest on the hope that Oculus gets on the ball and verifies and fixes the issue?

I have two sets of controllers and both had this issue. I dont think oculus have even acknowledged this issue at all. 

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,018 Valuable Player

What the heck do I do . 

Well if Oculus haven't said it is an issue at their end then I would return the headset. I say return because if it's something on you computer causing, then it isn't suddenly going to right itself. unless you want to reinstall windows or try it on another Pc before you return it.
    Brain Burst
    RedRizla said:

What the heck do I do . 

Well if Oculus haven't said it is an issue at their end then I would return the headset. I say return because if it's something on you computer causing, then it isn't suddenly going to right itself. unless you want to reinstall windows or try it on another Pc before you return it.
    Well ..   this is the second computer.   I had an i7 2600k and spent 900 bucks upgrading it to a 9th generation I7 with 32 GB of ram.  Fresh installation of windows 10 

Hardly doubt it is the computer. 

Still others have said that they returned the controllers and still had the problem to reiterate. 

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,414 Volunteer Moderator
    Just a little reminder that if anybody with the lag has a minute free, I've got that custom version of Oculus Monitor on the previous page. I'd be interested to see how the raw and normal versions of the laggy trigger behave for you.
    (The three sliders for each trigger should move roughly in sync, with two of them slightly delayed from the raw value due to smoothing)

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,018 Valuable Player
    edited September 2019
    @kojack - Yes, if people tested this, I assume it would be easier for Oculus to know what's causing it would it not? Have you got any idea without these tests what could be causing it? People mostly say removing the Oculus controllers covers stops this so what's you thoughts on that?
  • HippakaveriHippakaveri Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same issue here. Taking the battery lid cover off fixes it. Also noticed that if I just slightly press the battery lid just bellow the buttons with my thumb, it helps too, but thats not a very ergonomic way to hold the controller :lol:
  • adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 158
    Art3mis
    Same problem here. I believe a possible explanation is that the spring on the negative side of the battery loses its strength over time from doing very hard fast movements (ex: throwing a punch.) This causes the positive side of the battery to no longer have a tight strong connection against the contact. This has been reported in a lot of forums for boxing games. It does seem like this problem has only recently started occurring in mass though so maybe an update or firmware upgrade changed something with the amount of power that is drawn from the controller battery.

In any case there is a solution that works for me....  Fold up a tiny piece of tin foil and stuff it in between the positive side of the battery and the connector. This will improve the contact and give less room for the battery to move inside the controller. Its perfectly safe to do this and is a common workaround to worn our or damaged battery compartments.

This never happened with the CV1. Lenovo cut every corner they could when they took over hardware production. Unfortunately we don't get what we paid for. Hopefully we won't have to start using chewing gum to hold things together.
    Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
  • HippakaveriHippakaveri Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Strangely enough my grip lag went away for no apparent reason, guess I should be happy now :lol:
    I did take away the batteries, re-paired the controllers and did the whole setup again, but I'm pretty sure that I tested the controllers after every step and they didn't work. Then as I was doing some work related stuff with the headset I suddenly noticed that the grip was working as it should. 
  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 349
    Trinity
    Yep, grip lag has been fixed for me for several weeks now, I guess the updates have sorted it.
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • kovaloidkovaloid Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have another issue with the grip buttons. Can someone please tell me, are the grip buttons touch sensitive like trigger, thumbsticks, etc?
    Coz my aren't for some reason ;(
    I've checked in SteamVR controller bindings page - it detects only pressed state, but not touch. Also my controllers displayed as a gen 1 controllers (from CV1) and not the new one (from Rift S/Quest)