cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go: "Oculus Update Required" Error for Every App

NotMattShaw
Sightseer
Just setup my new Oculus Go (64GB consumer version, delivered today), and setup seemed to go normally, but when I try to download and use any app, I get an error message that reads, "Oculus Update Required. To learn how to update your Oculus app, visit http://support.oculus.com"

Problem is, I can't find any documentation on support.oculus.com that tells me how to update the app. Can't find much online, either. Anyone know what's going on, and how to fix it?
28 REPLIES 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
This once strikes again !
Since i updated my current project to the just released, all new Oculus Unity SDK V1.28 packages ( Oculus Utilities V1.28, Platform SDK V1.28, Avatar SDK V1.28) i get the treaded Error :
"oculus update required. to learn how to update the oculus app, visit: http://support.oculus.com"

Did everything suggested:
uninstalled the Phone App, Rebooted the Oculus Go several times, uninstalled my app several times, nothing helps
Falling back to the Unity 2017.4.9F1 bundled OVR Plugin version ( V1.26.1 ) at least let my app show its UI for a second, as soon as i initialize the Oculus Platform, pops up another ( but similar looking ) erro dialog, that i need to update the phone as m the app is using some unsupported features

I seriously wonder why it is made so hard to manually trigger an update check ON THE GO ITSELF ?

BTW:
GO says version is 3.42.98.111179117              OS Version is 27130.12430.180

DrCKNY
Honored Guest
I have same problem, and I can't find any update notification, is there any way to force it update the firmware?

my OS Version is 27130.9020.153.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just leave the Device somewhere powered on ( on the charger, just to be sure)  and with accessible Wifi  for about 1-2 hours. During that timespan, mine decided to do some silent OTA update apparently ( without any notification) and after that my update problem did'nt exist any longer ...

Anonymous
Not applicable
That is SO lame, that this update issue is so horribly documented

jido-genshi
Honored Guest
I had to send in my defective Oculus Go and just received a "Grade B" refurbished one today. Went through the whole setup and tutorial process, and then downloaded only one previously purchased game... and now I can't into it because of this same error everyone else is having. Instead of the Oculus Staff telling everyone to "email" them, why can't they just explain what the hell is going on here!? And why can't we force an update if it needs an update? Do I really have to let it sit for another couple of hours just in hopes that it may automatically update when it feels like it? (and I have already had it unplugged in for 4 hours, it should have updated by now. Yes, I have the "Automatically Update" setting turned on in the app.) I've about had it with Oculus and Facebook...

michele_desanct
Honored Guest
I have the same problem. I bought 10 oculus go, I can't see the videos in the memory and the apps to view it give me this warning Oculus Update Required.
Please have an important VR presentation on Sunday !!!

medtarik
Honored Guest
same problem. Did anyone found a solution?

Andi_Puehringer
Honored Guest
I also continuously had the message ""Oculus Update Required. To learn how to update your Oculus app..." My update also didn't start automatically even after leaving the Oculus Go on charge over multiple nights (in stand by, turned off, on home screen etc. I tried everything...)

I tried quite a few other approaches and in case you haven't tried yet, you might try a factory reset and afterwards try the update again. Some other people had success by uninstalling and re-installing the iphone/Android App or by disconnecting and re-connecting the headset to those Apps. It seems various of these approaches worked for quite a few people. Of course after factory reset you have to then re-install all the Oculus Go Apps to the Headset. However for me and some others even those approaches including the "normal" factory reset didn't work. The approach I had to take strikes me as really strange, but it worked:
  1. I did a(nother) factory reset of the Oculus Go.
  2. I uninstalled the Oculus App on my iPhone.
  3. I re-installed the iPhone App.
  4. I created a new Oculus Account (Without this step it didn’t work and this is the strange part to me. Why is the upgradability of a device tied to my Oculus account and why can I see nothing in my account that hints into this direction? It makes no logical sense to me and I admit that I only tried it, because I had completely run out of reasonable ideas and someone else on the Forum had mentioned success with this approach. But only after many failed attempts without this step No 4 and after multiple factory resets I gave this a try and to my surprise it actually worked). 
  5. I added the “Go" to the new Oculus account and followed the regular on screen and in headset instructions of setup during which the Oculus Go Update occurred. 
  6. I had to do another Factory Reset and follow the regular procedure in order to reconnect the device to my main Oculus Account.
To me this is a strange and complicated approach. I think this should even be considered a bug. But it worked.
Andi
Andi Pühringer, VR/AR Project Management, Germany
https://www.think360.today

john_h_bodley
Honored Guest
Please. Just return in and get another one. THEN EXPLAIN TO CONSUMERS BBB. AND SO ON. . ThEY ARE ALL FACTORY M

JSBorder
Honored Guest
We have oculus go 64 and have everything paired and setup. Now we have the msg “WFII CONNECTED CONTINUE IN OCULUS APP. YOUR HEADSET IS UPDATING. PLEASE TAKE OFF YOUR HEADSET AND FOLLOW THE STEPS IN THE OCULUS APP ON YOUR PHONE”. This has gone on for two days and when we go to the app on our phone there is no msg.  All that shows is the apps we can buy for our Oculus but none will load. Says update must finish first and I did setup to be notified but haven’t heard a peep!
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?